Windows 10: Cursor has a mind of it's own!

Discus and support Cursor has a mind of it's own! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed W10 over Win7 Ultimate a few days ago. There are many 'quirks', most just take getting familiar with the new OS, one though, is more than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FreedomRydr, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Cursor has a mind of it's own!

I installed W10 over Win7 Ultimate a few days ago. There are many 'quirks', most just take getting familiar with the new OS, one though, is more than just a 'quirk', and is just getting out of hand.

Whether using an offline app or online website, the cursor arbitrarily goes to the START button and opens that annoying multi-window. It happens at random, sometimes I can actually stay where I am for a full five minutes before the cursor takes off again. Similarly, while browsing, it will open a window (usually an ad of some sort or a site selling something), without prompting. I am sure this has something to do with 'FREE' W10, but surely there is a setting to disable this annoying quirk. This cursor thing has to be fixed soon as it will be a deal-breaker with W10. *Mad

Also, on some websites, I cannot write text into forms, or on some forums the same (not this one, fortunately) I have to open Notepad, write my text and copy and paste it into where it needs to go. Tried browser cache clearing, to no avail.

One last item, the task bar is not accessible when a browser is open. This occurs with Chrome (default) Edge and MSIE. I have to minimize the browser to access the task bar.

Based on another post, I am now running sfc /scannow, to see it this helps anything. (completed- no errors found).

Thanks

:)

FreedomRydr, Aug 2, 2015
  2. Smorboll Win User

Cursor has a mind of its own

Are you using a mouse or a trackpad? If it is a mouse, is it a wired or wireless mouse and is it connected to a computer with a trackpad? -

Fix Random Mouse Movement:

• Disconnect and reconnect the mouse.
    • Connect other mice.
    • Reinstall mouse drivers.
    • Disconnect the cable (wired) or connection (wireless).
    • Try again in safe mode.
    Fix Random Trackpad Movement:

• Diable the trackpad and try a mouse.

Smorboll, Aug 2, 2015
  3. The-Bolt Win User
    Cursor has a mind of its own

sophos norton malwarebytes avira comodo.

The-Bolt, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Cursor has a mind of it's own!

Nothing huh? WOW! :-(
    Well, I have isolated one issue. It is not hunting the start button. It is just going to the lower left corner. If I move the task bar so the start button is on the top right, the cursor still goes to the lower left. It has become a battle. I can be writing an email, and the cursor is gone. I move it back, it goes back again, Sometimes 8,9,10 times before it stops, VERY weird! Someone out there must have some idea on how to defeat this 'quirk'. I feel Win7 coming on!

FreedomRydr, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Still hoping there are Win10 developers out there. This issue is not going away. Could it be a touchscreen issue?

Anyone? Is there a Win10 Troubleshooter out there?

Do y'ever feel you are talking to yourself? la la la lalala.... hmmm.... : *Confused

FreedomRydr, Aug 25, 2015
  6. ossie Win User
    Have you used something like AdwCleaner Download as it sound like a virus. Are you using an antivirus if so UNINSTALL and reboot then REINSTALL so that Windows Defender is turned off correctly!

ossie, Aug 25, 2015
  7. You almost certainly have a malware infection.

MaximRecoil, Aug 25, 2015
  8. Traijan Win User

Cursor has a mind of it's own!

It does indeed sound like a virus or malware on your system. It may not be homing in on the start button but it sounds like it's homing in where the start button should normally be so... same thing really.

Then you said that it will open new windows with advertisements in it all by itself, that's either some sort of malware/virus or the site you are looking at is using popup ad windows. If you're using something like adblock + it's good to stop most ads but there are still some that it simply can't stop for some reason, there are even some ads that if you try to disable them using adblock it will lock up the browser.

The only other thing I can comment on is how you have to close Chrome to be able to view your taskbar. This is not new to Windows 10, I've had this back in 7 as well, and from what I've read on it over the years it's a quirk not of the OS but something that Google would need to fix in the Chrome browser itself. I've had it in 7 and I've got it in 10, it's not new.

The last thing I'll say, Is this on a laptop that also has a touchpad? If so make sure you have updated touchpad drivers and that there is nothing resting on top of the touchpad, I use my laptop with a proper mouse and one day I noticed that the mouse was moving all over the place and jittering, it finally dawned on me that the A/C vent in my house was blowing down on the computer which had a piece of paper laying over the touchpad and just ever so touching it with the breeze of the A/C and causing it to move around on my screen.

Traijan, Aug 26, 2015
  9. While malware sounds more likely, it might also be a dying mouse. Do you have another you can use? In the past 15 years or so I've twice had USB mice that would act like the scroll wheel was being constantly turned. My cursor would go to the bottom of the screen, and if I was in a scrollable window, I would scroll to the bottom. I don't recall if the cursor ever also moved right or left on its own, but I don't think those mice had a horizontal scroll. That wouldn't explain your inability to enter data into forms, though ... unless you were always scrolling past the fields you wanted to enter.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cursor has a mind of it's own!

1. Cursor has a mind of it's own! - Similar Threads - Cursor has mind

2. Tablet mode has a mind of its own!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tablet mode has a mind of its own!!!: I have the HP Elitebook X360 1040 G7 laptop and it has the “yoga” capability to turn into a tablet when I flip the screen and rotate the keyboard back. I have disabled auto-rotate and messed with tablet settings so many times but my laptop constantly switches to tablet mode...
  3. WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!: Can anyone assist plz. One of our system user's pc has decided to get a mind of it's own. Cursor goes haywire moves all over the screen. Apps that is minimized, doesn't want to resize. Have run virus scan, malware scan, reloaded OS....to no avail. Regards,Shaun...
  4. Work PC has a mind of it’s own. Help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Work PC has a mind of it’s own. Help?: I’m running Windows 10 on a ThinkPad laptop with two ThinkVision monitors, using a ThinkPad docking station to connect the 3. Not every time, but often enough that it’s annoying, if I lock/shut down/or restart my computer, when I come back, the settings for my 2 monitors...
  5. Game Mode has a mind of it's Own!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Mode has a mind of it's Own!: Game mode is shut off followed guide for turning off in registry but keeps turning off and on while playing certain games steam account Don't know what to do further. Certain games are unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. Running windows 10 with latest updates as of...
  6. Mouse has a mind of its own!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse has a mind of its own!: I use a Logitech wireless mouse. Ever since the latest Windows 10 upgrade my mouse moves at random times - frequently - and clicks on its own. Most commonly, it moves to the lowest right corner and brings up the calendar, but it moves and does other things on its own, too....
  7. Windows Has A Mind Of Its Own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Has A Mind Of Its Own: My PC has suddenly started doing wierd things. The cursor moves all over the screen on its own. Open panes get minimised, new panes get opened. Spreadheets move around. A strange pulsing bubble appears on the screen. This all makes the PC unusable for a while until it settles...
  8. Touchpad Has a Mind of Its Own

Touchpad Has a Mind of Its Own: I have finally grown beyond weary of having to disable the touchpad on my laptop every boot up. *Mad I am posting here as I am just assuming the issue is Windows 10 and not the laptop. This is my 3rd laptop... so I'm not totally new to them, and is why I've become frustrated...
  9. Touchpad Has a Mind of Its Own

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Touchpad Has a Mind of Its Own: I have finally grown beyond weary of having to disable the touchpad on my laptop every boot up. *Mad I am posting here as I am just assuming the issue is Windows 10 and not the laptop. This is my 3rd laptop... so I'm not totally new to them, and is why I've become frustrated...
  10. mouse has mind of its own

mouse has mind of its own: Sometimes my mouse opens links when it moves over links as if i doubleclicked them on purpose. when I did not. There is no rhyme or reason when, how, or why.. Sometimes it will open every link and sometimes it wont. How do i fix this? I have tried different mice, touch...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cursor has a mind of its own on chromebook

2. cursor with a mind of its own

3. curser has mind of its own

4. cursor has a mind of its own