Windows 10: Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select

Discus and support Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 6. I use both the trackpad and a USB connected mouse. This issue is recent, but worsening. If I put my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TheaWillett, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select

I'm using Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 6. I use both the trackpad and a USB connected mouse. This issue is recent, but worsening.

If I put my laptop to sleep and wake it up again, or if I use my Surface pen, the cursor gets stuck on precision select- the tiny little dot of a cursor. It only changes the standard pointer- link select, text select, etc all are fine. I use a custom cursor scheme and it's very annoying to have to reapply it so many times. I also can't find any information on this particular issue. There's one thread from 2015 that references something similar, but it requires me to change a setting that no longer exists. Any ideas? Putting this under Devices & Drivers since I'm not sure what else would fit.

:)

TheaWillett, Aug 5, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Change the cursor speed for Precision touchpad

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to set the cursor speed value more than 20. The valid range of values for the registry key that you want are trying to change is 0 to 20, with a default value of 10.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

For more information, you can refer the article
    Precision touchpad tuning

However, to increase the cursor speed you can change the mouse settings in Control Panel. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type control and click on
      OK
    3. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    4. Click on Mouse.
    5. Navigate to Pointer options tab and under
      Motion, move the slider towards right to change the cursor speed.
    6. Click on Apply and OK.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Favorite selected keeps coming back

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step1: Try deleting the Favorites in User profile and check if it helps.

• Open C: Drive.

• Select User.

• Select user profile.

• Click on Favorites.

• If you’re able to see the favorites list, then you
      can delete the Favorites from there and check if it helps.
    Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select

1. Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select - Similar Threads - Cursor keeps switching

2. Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?: Hey.I've been making cursors for a living since 2015. However, since I used Windows 10 at one point in 2019, I notice two extra cursor roles, named Location Select , and Person Select . I know the purpose of all other cursor roles, but what are the purpose of these two extra...
  3. Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?: Hey.I've been making cursors for a living since 2015. However, since I used Windows 10 at one point in 2019, I notice two extra cursor roles, named Location Select , and Person Select . I know the purpose of all other cursor roles, but what are the purpose of these two extra...
  4. Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where can I download the Precision Select cursor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I download the Precision Select cursor?: I'm on Windows 10 Pro and using a HP laptop I don't know if that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-download-the-precision-select-cursor/b4024314-c408-41a2-9d2f-c9462f675430
  6. Where can I download the Precision Select cursor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where can I download the Precision Select cursor?: I'm on Windows 10 Pro and using a HP laptop I don't know if that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-download-the-precision-select-cursor/b4024314-c408-41a2-9d2f-c9462f675430
  7. Where can I download the Precision Select cursor?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. precision mouse smart switch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    precision mouse smart switch: Hi, I open the smart switch button and see my two device layout Surface book 3 and Surface pro 7, However, I cannot move the mouse from one screen, to another. I move the mouse to the edge, it just stops and cannot move anymore, I'd like to know how can I fix this problem and...
  9. Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows: In the Win 10 that runs on my work PC, the cursor behavior to select the edge of a window in order to resize it with mouse is driving me nuts and I cannot figure out what setting to reconfigure to change the behavior. The expected behavior is that when moving mouse to edge...
  10. Cursor selecting everything on the page

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor selecting everything on the page: I have an Acer ES1-512 with a cursor that won't stop selecting everything on the screen. This is making the computer unusable. So far I have - reinstalled Windows, tested three different mouses, tested mouses with the trackpad disabled, turned off all accessibility...