Windows 10: Cursor Lag/Change

Discus and support Cursor Lag/Change in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I recently built a pc that operated Windows 10 but may have a bad download. I am experiencing cursor issues and have tried everything I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Nboose, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Nboose Win User

Cursor Lag/Change

Hello,

I recently built a pc that operated Windows 10 but may have a bad download. I am experiencing cursor issues and have tried everything I can think of/find online to fix but to no avail. My cursor seems to lag slightly behind where I expect it to be on the screen no matter the settings used. I am using a Razer Basilisk v2 but it also occurred on 2 other mice both razer. Before going into what I have tried with the cursor I would like to explain why a bad download of windows may be to blame.

1. When in additional mouse options, when I go to close and apply settings, it takes quite a while to close and sometimes stop responding after hitting ok.

2. I use virtual desktops and when switching between desktops and when one desktop is in a menu the entire screen is green for a moment.

3. I have repeatedly lost connection when playing online games when my internet did not disconnect.

4. Cursor feels better on Ubuntu.

5. When I try to reinstall Windows 10 from a flash drive, I see a graphical distortion for a few seconds before the loading screen.

The last reason leads me to believe I either have 2 bad flash drives or a bad download of windows on my laptop which i download windows to the flash drive for my pc.

There are other things I am suspecting may be the cause mainly hardware, but could be the electricity in my home but wanted to ask here if it could be WIndows.

The main issue is the feel of the cursor when interacting with pc--besides losing connection occasionally, there are no other problems. And I do no lose connection often anymore. I believe that was a temperature problem with my cpu but I have since got a new cooler.

The other suspects are motherboard, psu, or poor electric hook up as stated above, or Razer software.

I have made sure all temperatures are low; turned off mouse acceleration; turned pointer speed to six/middle slot and changed mouse settings in Razer synapse instead to try different speeds; downloaded Ubuntu in the past and the cursor seemed to perform better; changed outlets I was using at home/moved pc to different rooms; limited electricity usage to only pc. Still no solution found-- any advice would be greatly appreciated

:)

Nboose, Jul 11, 2020
  2. Elringus Win User

USB lag when mouse cursor changes

Please, do not consider this question as a duplicate of this one -- it’s not an Intel graphics problem in my case and the issue is a bit different.

I’ve got a new PC with Windows 10 and experiencing a weird issue with USB devices.

Issue

When mouse cursor icon changes (like when hovering a browser URL link or a text field) a USB lag between 500ms to 2seconds occurs. By USB lag I mean that any device connected to any USB port stops responding: mouse stops moving, keyboard not responding, audio drops out (I use an external USB audio interface). It’s not happening at each transition, but somewhat randomly, though quite persistently.

Imagine moving mouse cursor over a Google search results page: the cursor state will change to hand when hovering a URL link, to text selection when hovering description text below the links and to pointer when in the “free” areas. In my case mouse will constantly lag and the sound drop-out if I would just move the cursor over such page.

System info

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6900K
    • Motherboard: ASUS X99-A
    • GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX1080-O8G-GAMING
    • DDR: 8x8GB, DDR4, Crucial Ballistix Elite, 2666 Mhz
    • SSD: 2 TB, Samsung 850 PRO
    • HDD: 3Tb SATA-III Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX)
    • External USB devices: wireless mouse (Logitech G900), wireless keyboard (Logitech K800), USB 2.0 Audio Interface (Roland QUAD-CAPTURE)

What I’ve tried

• Using Windows Clean Boot – the issue persisted;
    • Installing fresh Windows 10 – issue occurs right from the start;
    • Trying different drivers for the USB devices/controllers and the MB chipset – no changes;
    • Trying different NVidia drivers – no changes;
    • Updating motherboard BIOS to the latest version – no changes;
    • Switching HCI mode in BIOS – there was definitely some effect here. In EHCI mode (USB 2) the mouse lags were much more noticeable, while the audio drop-outs were at minimum, and in xHCI (USB 3) it was vice-versa: more audio lags and less mouse;
    • Using different USB ports – there was some subtle difference depending on what USB ports I’ve used. When a device is connected to an Intel USB controller port the lags are more frequent, while ASMedia’s ports had less issues;
    • Disabling any power saving features in BIOS, Windows power management and in the device manager for each of the USB devices and USB controllers – no difference;
    • Unplugging all the USB devices except the mouse – no changes;
    • Using different mouses (both wired and wireless) – no changes;
    • Trying another GPU – no changes;
    • Trying another Motherboard (ROG STRIX X99) – completely solved mouse lag issue, but audio drop-outs persisted in xHCI mode;
    • Disabling all the mouse features in Windows mouse settings (enhance pointer precision, pointer trails, pointer hiding when typing, pointer shadow) – no changes, except for trails (more on that below).

The weird

Now, the weirdest thing about this: enabling the “display pointer trails” option in the Windows mouse settings completely solves the issue! I can’t really comprehend why this happening, how could such “cosmetic” option affect all the USB devices in the system? I’ve set the trail distance to be as short, as possible, but it’s still noticeable and quite distracting, so I’m looking for a way to fix the issue without enabling the trails.

Elringus, Jul 11, 2020
  3. Mouse cursor lag and slow down occasionally

Recently, I am encountering a mouse cursor lag problem on my PC (Win10)

The cursor occassionally lags when I move the mouse consistently

Demonstration:
    http://i.imgur.com/03kbZJx.gifv

In the demonstration, I moved my mouse consistently towards right, but cursor stops moving at few instances

My mouse is Logitech G502, I believe my mouse has no problem because I tried it with my laptop (Win10) and it worked perfectly fine, the cursor never lagged and movement is consistent.

Any suggestions?

Theresonly1cryo, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Jose Est Win User

Cursor Lag/Change

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Cursor Lag/Change

1. Cursor Lag/Change - Similar Threads - Cursor Lag Change

2. Cursor lagging on desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor lagging on desktop: Hello, so my problem is that my mouse cursor is lagging, it only happens on desktop when im for example in a game or in google it doesnt lag.I have tried using a diffrent usb port, I have tried using a different mouse, I have tried restarting my pc. Nothing works....
  3. cursor lag?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cursor lag?: when I move my cursor my new computer lags for a split second and I dont know why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-lag/fef55238-230d-43b4-8756-6ed8d4ebb9d2
  4. cursor lag?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cursor lag?: when I move my cursor my new computer lags for a split second and I dont know why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-lag/fef55238-230d-43b4-8756-6ed8d4ebb9d2
  5. My Cursor is Lagging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Cursor is Lagging: Whenever I move my mouse, randomly itll freeze for about 10ms and then keep working as intended.I have tried:Unplugging and Replugging my Mouse inA different MouseRestarting My PC as this has been going on for daysUpdating Drivers There werent any availableUninstalling the...
  6. My Cursor is Lagging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Cursor is Lagging: Whenever I move my mouse, randomly itll freeze for about 10ms and then keep working as intended.I have tried:Unplugging and Replugging my Mouse inA different MouseRestarting My PC as this has been going on for daysUpdating Drivers There werent any availableUninstalling the...
  7. My Cursor is Lagging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. window lag/cursor lag/taskbar lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window lag/cursor lag/taskbar lag: https://youtu.be/tWuBtNr3wO4im having this issue on windows 10 where whenever i move the windows around or pull up the task bar its really stutter and another problem i could not show on the video is sometimes when moving my cursor over a button such as the browser bookmarks...
  9. cursor lags

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cursor lags: plz help when i was moving my cursor the with touchpad or a additional mouse .the cursor lag for couple of seconds or when i was playing a video in my system or in youtube. the cursor is lag and a video isalso lag for second plz help...
  10. 4K Cursor Lag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    4K Cursor Lag: A while ago I've upgraded my Couch Gaming PC with an 4K TV and while it's generally working well I've started noticing what I'd call Cursor Lag and while it's not much it IS fairly noticeable kind of annoying the crap out of me so I've been wondering who the culprit might be....