Windows 10: Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons

Discus and support Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Version 1903 (OS Build 18363.535 When trying to re-arrange desktop icons the cursor often is not able to move them. This happened some time ago, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stanley1961, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons

Version 1903 (OS Build 18363.535

When trying to re-arrange desktop icons the cursor often is not able to move them. This happened some time ago, but I have no recollection of the remedy.

What must I do ?

Thank you.

And all the best for the new year.

:)

Stanley1961, Jan 3, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons ;)

qubit, Jan 3, 2020
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Freely moving desktop icons in windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the blank space on desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to grid.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons

1. Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons - Similar Threads - Cursor loses control

2. Control+arrow changes desktop instead of moving cursor to next word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control+arrow changes desktop instead of moving cursor to next word: I have an issue where I'll be editing a document or some text field, and I'll press Control + left or right arrow to move the cursor one word at a time, but instead it will change virtual desktops, as if I was hitting Control + Win + arrow. I found a workaround through a...
  3. Getting controller to not move the cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting controller to not move the cursor: I'm using my laptop with virtual desk top to stream to my oculos quest 2 to play Xbox game Fallout New Vegas. The streaming is going fine. My issue is How do I get the cursor arrow to not move all around the screen while I play Xbox games?...
  4. Getting controller to not move the cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting controller to not move the cursor: I'm using my laptop with virtual desk top to stream to my oculos quest 2 to play Xbox game Fallout New Vegas. The streaming is going fine. My issue is How do I get the cursor arrow to not move all around the screen while I play Xbox games?...
  5. Icons moving on desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons moving on desktop.: Hello, few days ago I started having problems with icons on Desktop. They are moving to secondary monitor when i turn monitors into extended mode, half stay on main monitor and second half is going to other monitor. When I switch to one monitor only they get back to thier...
  6. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Moving: Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on....
  7. How to prevent a link losing its icon when moving it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to prevent a link losing its icon when moving it?: A link loses its icon when moving it from the desktop to a folder. The icon appears again when the link is moved back from a folder to the desktop. Also in properties "change icon" does not work when I attempt to give the link that had lost its icon the icon it previously had...
  8. Losing Custom Folders Icon When Moving To USB Flash

in Windows 10 Customization
    Losing Custom Folders Icon When Moving To USB Flash: Dear All, I used to customize my icons specially for Movies and TV Collection to give it a nice look. While using Windows 8.1 i used the below to keep the icons shown even if i transferred the folder to any other USB Flash or other computer at the desktop.ini file and...
  9. Icons on Desktop move when saved

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on Desktop move when saved: Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then...
  10. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...