Windows 10: Cursor returns to center when using external screen and closing laptop lid

Discus and support Cursor returns to center when using external screen and closing laptop lid in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been attaching my laptop to my TV for streaming of things I can't get on my TV. I set the laptop such that I can close the lid and not put it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JDC0121, Apr 20, 2021.

1. JDC0121 Win User

Cursor returns to center when using external screen and closing laptop lid

I have been attaching my laptop to my TV for streaming of things I can't get on my TV. I set the laptop such that I can close the lid and not put it to sleep.

The problem is, when I close the lid on my laptop, the cursor lights up right in the center of the screen. This is no good for watching streaming video. Is there a way that I can make the cursor remain where it was when I closed the lid which is always off of the screen?

I realize I can use an external mouse to move the cursor out of the way, but this seems like a step I shouldn't have to do!

:)

JDC0121, Apr 20, 2021
  2. BReed24 Win User

Closed lid on laptop

When I close the lid (do nothing is on) the cursor migrates to center of screen. I want it to stay where it was when i closed the lid like in windows 8.1

BReed24, Apr 20, 2021
  3. jsmith613 Win User
    Close laptop lid - external monitor

Yep. The computer remained and I could use the external monitor. But all windows on the laptop screen moved over. Currently when the lid is closed, the windows remain on the laptop screen which is then "off"

jsmith613, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Cursor returns to center when using external screen and closing laptop lid

Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

Cursor returns to center when using external screen and closing laptop lid

1. Cursor returns to center when using external screen and closing laptop lid - Similar Threads - Cursor returns center

2. Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed: I have a LG Gram laptop that most often is connected to a dock/hub connected to dual monitors and various peripherals, including a Logitech Brio 4K camera, which I bought specifically to use to sign in with Windows Hello facial recognition. The laptop lid is closed when...
  3. Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use external camera for Windows Hello on laptop when lid is closed: I have a LG Gram laptop that most often is connected to a dock/hub connected to dual monitors and various peripherals, including a Logitech Brio 4K camera, which I bought specifically to use to sign in with Windows Hello facial recognition. The laptop lid is closed when...
  4. Cursor randomly returns to the middle of the screen when laptop is closed and content is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor randomly returns to the middle of the screen when laptop is closed and content is...: As explained above, using a Microsoft surface laptop 3 on windows 10, the cursor randomly appears in the middle of the tv when the lid of the laptop is closed. When I used an external mouse to move it away, the streaming bar at the bottom appears and never goes away. Any...
  5. Cursor randomly returns to the middle of the screen when laptop is closed and content is...

Cursor randomly returns to the middle of the screen when laptop is closed and content is...: As explained above, using a Microsoft surface laptop 3 on windows 10, the cursor randomly appears in the middle of the tv when the lid of the laptop is closed. When I used an external mouse to move it away, the streaming bar at the bottom appears and never goes away. Any...
  6. Cursor randomly returns to the middle of the screen when laptop is closed and content is...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  8. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  9. Using External Monitors with lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...