Windows 10: Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows

Discus and support Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the Win 10 that runs on my work PC, the cursor behavior to select the edge of a window in order to resize it with mouse is driving me nuts and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SecureBatman, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows

In the Win 10 that runs on my work PC, the cursor behavior to select the edge of a window in order to resize it with mouse is driving me nuts and I cannot figure out what setting to reconfigure to change the behavior.

The expected behavior is that when moving mouse to edge of window and the cursor hovers over the edge of the window, the cursor changes to an up-down/left-right/diagonal arrow and clicking the mouse enables manual window resizing.

The behavior that I observe is that the region where this behavior is enabled is now expanded beyond the edge of the window.. In other words, I can move the mouse so that the cursor is no longer over the active window, but instead over another window in the background, yet the cursor still associates with the active window and clicking activates the resize action.

The reason this is driving me nuts is that when I move the cursor off of the active window to another window in the background and click, what I actually want to do is activate that background window. The new behavior makes this routine action very troublesome. It becomes particularly annoying when the active window is placed such that there is not much screen real estate between its edge and the edge of the screen.

Is there a way to adjust settings so that this undesirable behavior is ended, i.e, the sensitivity of the cursor placement to the edge of active window is more sensitive, and therefore easier to select a background window when that is in fact where I place the cursor?

Spent countless time browsing Settings options and searching forums for a solution but much less a solution I haven't found someone articulate the same problem statement.

Appreciate help anyone can give.

:)

SecureBatman, Sep 10, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Sep 10, 2020
  3. John Fer Win User
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Smart selection in Edge

Thank you for the quick response. We suggest resetting your Microsoft edge. This will reset all your default app to its default settings including Microsoft Edge. To do that, follow the steps below:

• Type in Settings in Cortana search box.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Apps.
    • Select Default apps on the left pane of the window.
    • Click on Reset located on the Default apps list.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

John Fer, Sep 10, 2020
  4. shuggans Win User

Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows

vb.net select text from active cursor point in different window

hello all - working on a dictation application and looking for some guidance as far as selecting text from a cursor point in a window outside of the applications form. I'll clarify a bit: The application types at the current cursor point using sendkeys() as you speak.. and I'm trying to handle commands such as "select word" which should select the word to the right of the current cursor point. I know how to handle selecting text within an application, but am looking to be pointed in the right direction for information on selecting text from say microsoft word etc. but keep in mind the goal for the application is to be universal for use within any EMR, word processor, web browser etc.

Thanks for any assistance!

shuggans

shuggans, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows

1. Cursor Selecting Edge of Windows - Similar Threads - Cursor Selecting Edge

2. Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?: Hey.I've been making cursors for a living since 2015. However, since I used Windows 10 at one point in 2019, I notice two extra cursor roles, named Location Select , and Person Select . I know the purpose of all other cursor roles, but what are the purpose of these two extra...
  3. Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?: Hey.I've been making cursors for a living since 2015. However, since I used Windows 10 at one point in 2019, I notice two extra cursor roles, named Location Select , and Person Select . I know the purpose of all other cursor roles, but what are the purpose of these two extra...
  4. Purpose of Location Select and Person Select cursors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. mouse cursor selection box

mouse cursor selection box: HelloIt's been a few weeks my mouse cursor selection box In the form of the photo below Can you help me get back to normal?Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-cursor-selection-box/56383ae0-6644-44fe-845c-8ff48db90233
  6. Cursor selecting taskbar as if it was text

Cursor selecting taskbar as if it was text: Hello, I have encountered a strange problem. When I move to the taskbar, the cursor was an I-beam! This was caused by program crashes. Can you give me a solution to fix it?...
  7. Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor keeps switching to Precision Select: I'm using Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 6. I use both the trackpad and a USB connected mouse. This issue is recent, but worsening. If I put my laptop to sleep and wake it up again, or if I use my Surface pen, the cursor gets stuck on precision select- the tiny little dot of...
  8. My cursor is stuck in select mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My cursor is stuck in select mode.: Anywhere I move the cursor, with the mouse or keypad, selects or highlights the text for action. This get mysteriously turned on by some random keystrokes and I cannot turn it off, not even restarting. I have an HP envy....
  9. Restricting mouse cursor to selected displays

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Restricting mouse cursor to selected displays: I have four monitors but I don't use them all, all the time. It's annoying to lose the mouse cursor to a monitor which is turned off so I'd like to be able to restrict the mouse to the monitors which are in use. There are plenty of solutions to restrict the mouse cursor to...
  10. Cursor selecting everything on the page

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor selecting everything on the page: I have an Acer ES1-512 with a cursor that won't stop selecting everything on the screen. This is making the computer unusable. So far I have - reinstalled Windows, tested three different mouses, tested mouses with the trackpad disabled, turned off all accessibility...