Windows 10: Cursor, task manager, windows button inoperable

Discus and support Cursor, task manager, windows button inoperable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have a Lenovo G70. Earlier this evening while having Google Chrome open, a second window came up (while napping) and I was unable to close it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bradleyb, Apr 20, 2019.

1. bradleyb Win User

Cursor, task manager, windows button inoperable

Hi.
    I have a Lenovo G70. Earlier this evening while having Google Chrome open, a second window came up (while napping) and I was unable to close it out. I did a hard shut down. After rebooting, the cursor has disappeared. I cannot pull up task manager or Windows button. I cannot gain access without a cursor. What have I done and what do I do?
    Please help. I'll answer all questions. Thanks.

:)

bradleyb, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Task view button not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step1: End Task the Windows Explorer.

• Open task manager (CRTL+SHIFT+ESC)
    • Right-click on windows explorer
    • End task (Note: don’t close Task manager)
    • Click on File > Run new task
    • Type explorer.exe and press enter
    • Your search bar should be functional again.

Step 2: If Taskbar is not working then I suggest you to check for the latest updates.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter
      MS-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Step 3: Some problems can be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. Press Ctrl + Alt+ Delete and select
    Sign out. Once you’ve signed out, sign back in to your account.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Josef Bri Win User
    Cursor lagging on my desktop

Hi Charlie,

To help you with your concern, we'd like to suggest checking if there are unwanted applications running in the background. To check this, follow these steps below:

• Right-click on your Start Menu button on the Taskbar.
    • Click Task Manager
    • Under Processes, close any applications that are running in the background that are consuming resources on your laptop. Select the program and then click
      End Task.
    • Next click the Details tab, choose the program that is consuming a lot of memory on your computer and then press
      End Task.
    • Check if the cursor is responding slowly.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Josef Bri, Apr 20, 2019
  4. tomrhyne Win User

Random Lockup with Wait Cursor and Can't Access Task Manager

I have an ASUS tower running 64 bit Windows 10 with latest updates. Periodically and randomly it locks up with the wait cursor circulating. It usually happens when opening an app (Belarc, Exel, Media Shout, etc.). The cursor remains active but I can not open Task Manager nor any other programs. If you attempt to open other apps nothing happens until about 5 minutes when the wait cursor disappears and then all apps that I attempted to open open up and I can access task manager.
    Looked at event viewer and I see nothing happening at the time it locked up. I do see several errors around the time of the event including Service Control Mgr, DistributedCOM, and Event ID (5973). Any suggestions I may try to eliminate this would be appreciated.

tomrhyne, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Cursor, task manager, windows button inoperable - Similar Threads - Cursor task manager

2. Why is my Windows Start button and task bar unresponsive? Task Manager with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my Windows Start button and task bar unresponsive? Task Manager with...: On my desktop, my Windows Start button in the bottom left-hand corner is not responsive and my task bar is also not responsive. When I hover over the task bar with my mouse, I get a spinning circle but it will not let me click on anything. When I try to go into Task Manager...
  3. Why is my Windows Start button and task bar unresponsive? Task Manager with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my Windows Start button and task bar unresponsive? Task Manager with...: On my desktop, my Windows Start button in the bottom left-hand corner is not responsive and my task bar is also not responsive. When I hover over the task bar with my mouse, I get a spinning circle but it will not let me click on anything. When I try to go into Task Manager...
  4. Why is my Windows Start button and task bar unresponsive? Task Manager with...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. cant access windows button or task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant access windows button or task manager: image error msconfig.exe error. don't have access to windows button and task manager. folders on desktop, recycle bin and shortcuts to folder don't open. Advice please...
  6. cant access windows button or task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant access windows button or task manager: image error msconfig.exe error. don't have access to windows button and task manager. folders on desktop, recycle bin and shortcuts to folder don't open. Advice please...
  7. task manager just showing blank and windows buttons not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task manager just showing blank and windows buttons not working: the windows key does not work on my keyboard and in the taskbar, the windows store button and the task view button also doesn't work. I cant click on my clock or volume buttons in the taskbar...
  8. task manager just showing blank and windows buttons not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task manager just showing blank and windows buttons not working: the windows key does not work on my keyboard and in the taskbar, the windows store button and the task view button also doesn't work. I cant click on my clock or volume buttons in the taskbar...
  9. No restart button in task manager

in Windows 10 Support
    No restart button in task manager: I am trying to restart windows explorer to unfreeze my task bar but there is no restart button in the bottom right corner like there is supposed to be. Now I have a black screen behind the task manager and don't know how to fix it. Help please and thank you! 175069
  10. task manager disappears when mouse cursor is moved

in Windows 10 Customization
    task manager disappears when mouse cursor is moved: Hi Team, I have windows 10 1903. When I try to open task manager (Ctril+alt+del). It prompts the dialog box and disappears immediately when I move the mouse. I don't have any antivirus installed and no conflicting applications. Is there anyway to resolve this....