Windows 10: Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken.

Discus and support Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I noticed this yesterday. In MS Edge, if you click 'new tab' you get an option to customise the page and in my case I have it to display my top or... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Mooly, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken.

I noticed this yesterday. In MS Edge, if you click 'new tab' you get an option to customise the page and in my case I have it to display my top or favorite sites.

The problem is that suddenly they are all mixed, all the first bunch that were pinned or now unpinned and even some of the favicon images are incorrect. In the image you can see the left icon text is greyed out... that is not unique to that site, even Ten Forums favicon did that.

If I start again and set them all up then I find the next time I open the browser they are all muddled and unpinned again.

Is this a coincidence...

This is happening on BOTH my PC's. Yesterday my second PC updated to the latest cumulative update. My main PC has not yet had the update applied (Pro set to defer updates) and had in any case not been on at all at this point.

Both PC's will not now allow the page to be set up, they shuffle stuff around and 'unpin' everything I set.

Any ideas ?

Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Jul 12, 2017
  2. PDQBach Win User

New tab in Windows 10

Not helpful! Settings allows you to pick a new tab from three options: (1) A blank page; (2) Top sites; or (3) Top sites and suggested content. None of these options allow one to select a default new page of their choice. I want the new tab to be a
    HTM file on my computer that has all the sites I regularly visit. Bing is one of the sites but if I know where I want to go I don't want to search.

PDQBach, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for choosing Windows 10.

Microsoft’s new browser, Edge on Windows 10, brings forth some new features. The New tab features allow users to change the way tabs behave when they are created, and what is shown. You can choose to only display a Blank tab, Top sites or Top sides
    and suggested content.

A Blank tab is the classic tab behavior, preferred by me, but considered by some to be too boring. Hence, the reason Top sites tab behavior was brought into play. When a user chooses top sites to be shown when a new tab is created, every time a new
    tab is open, it shows the web sites most used. This makes it easier for Edge users to quickly get to their favorite websites without having to type in the URL bar or perform a Bing search.

Finally, there’s the Top sites and suggested content feature. This one is similar to top sites, but it goes one step further. The tab shows the top sites along with suggested web content from MSN. It means if users want to get the most out of this
    tab, then they will require to have an active internet connection.

The question right now, is how one gain accesses to these settings. Well, Microsoft has made it quite easy to understand. In fact, the configuration section on Edge is more simplified than other browsers, and far more than Internet Explorer.

To get there, just click the “More action button” at the top right corner of the browser. Scroll down to the button that says, “Settings.” Click on it, and then simply scroll down until the option that says, “Open new tab with” is in view. From there,
    users can change tab behavior to suit their needs.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

I'm beginning to think either something has changed with the way Bing handles the required info (is it a form of cookie ?) because I have just spent the last 30 minutes deleting everything possible in Edge and then re-entering all my site preferences which is a good 25 minutes job.

The 'Top Sites' now seem to be behaving more normally. I've just set a few up and they drag and drop into the wanted places and up to now, those that are pinned are remaining so.

Very odd because this issue has struck both my PC's simultaneously.

Mooly, Jul 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken. - Similar Threads - Custom Bing 'Top

2. How to open, customize and configure Windows Terminal settings

in Windows 10 News
    How to open, customize and configure Windows Terminal settings: [IMG]Windows Terminal is a modern host application for different command line shells that you use, like Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc. It lets you open and use different command line shells in different tabs. For example, you can use Command Prompt and Windows...
  3. Top Sites

in Windows 10 Customization
    Top Sites: all top site boxes filled. want to add more. how do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/top-sites/b99d4034-5f36-45f7-b65c-0d31c7df0eaa
  4. Latest updates seem to have broken my top sites in Edge browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Latest updates seem to have broken my top sites in Edge browser.: I had MS Edge top sites set to open when I click on the icon in my taskbar which had direct links to 10 sites I visit the most. Since the last update about 2 weeks ago, Edge opens on a blank page. I've tried just about everything I have been able to find on the net, yet to of...
  5. Setting secondary monitor to top-bottom configuration by default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting secondary monitor to top-bottom configuration by default: Hi. I am working in hot desk environment where each desk has a docking station with an external monitor. When I sit at a desk that I've never sat before the external monitor is automatically added to my desktop as the right screen (Screen 1 Screen 2 configuration). However...
  6. 1809 and 'Top Sites' in Edge no longer configurable.

in Browsers and Email
    1809 and 'Top Sites' in Edge no longer configurable.: Following a clean installation of 1809 I'm finding that my top sites are not able to be moved around as you could in previous versions. Trying to drag a tile to the left or right simply places the No Entry sign over it meaning 'you can not do this'. Anyone else noticed this...
  7. Edge's Top Sites broken with default search engine other than Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Edge's Top Sites broken with default search engine other than Bing: I'm having some issues with Microsoft Edge. Yesterday it was fine, but today the page with top sites is broken. Tried reinstalling Microsoft Edge, but that didn't help. I somehow found out what's causing it and it's setting default search engine other than Bing (tried Google...
  8. My Feed & Top Sites

in Browsers and Email
    My Feed & Top Sites: Is there a registry hack to stop ‘My Feed’ from running in Edge; also to login without having to use a password or pin. This is my personal computer & no one else uses it. Don’t like the login feature when I’m the only user. I noticed after the last updates there were many...
  9. Microsoft Edge Top Sites

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Top Sites: I have a bit of a problem, in the Edge address bar are top sites that you have visited. I need to know how to turn that feature off for privacy reasons. Sure its helpful and saves you typing if you go to that particular website very often but what if you let someone use your...
  10. Build Customized Site Search Instance using Bing Custom Search API

in Windows 10 News
    Build Customized Site Search Instance using Bing Custom Search API: It’s a little over 5 months since we launched the Bing Custom Search for general availability, and we're happy to see a considerable number of websites around the world that are now powered by Bing Custom Search. You can use the Bing Custom Search offering for either...