Windows 10: Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently

Discus and support Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently a few months ago found out that I can change the icons of folders. Seeing the potential usefulness of this I made my own custom icons by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FoulKnaveB, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently

I recently a few months ago found out that I can change the icons of folders. Seeing the potential usefulness of this I made my own custom icons by building vector icons in CorelDraw 2018, the graphic design software I use on a day to day basis. Ive spent a lot of time crafting icons that will help me navigate folders and files. I hadnt managed to understand how saving ICO files works so I found a website to covert images for me, so I saved all of my icons as PNGs and used this website to create the ICO files: https://icoconvert.com/ .

Since making my icons I've had to change my icons about 4 times in the past 3-4 months dont know exactly.. At some point the custom folder icons just disappear and I have to go back to the properties of each folder and change them back to the custom icons. It happened again this morning so I set aside some time to create new ones, revamp old ones, and reassign the icons to their corresponding folders again. Well I did that and when I changed the name of one folder after reassigning them every custom icon disappeared again. Clearly this feature is bugged or there's something up with my computer, but I have no idea which it is. Can someone please help me with this issue and walk me through the steps if there is a solution?

I use Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 2017. If there is any other information I need please let me know and I'll provide it.

:)

FoulKnaveB, Aug 1, 2020
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently

Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I don't undestand what you are asking, but cool sig by the way *Rockout :rockout:

douglatins, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently

1. Custom Folder Icons Disappear Frequently - Similar Threads - Custom Folder Icons

2. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  3. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  4. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  5. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  6. Images in customized folder icons disappearing in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Images in customized folder icons disappearing in file explorer.: Hi Microsoft. I know this is a bug in windows/file explorer, But are there any way i can make some kind of back-up when this occurs. I have hundreds of custom made icons for my folders on a external hdd drive which have taken me many hours to create, So is there any way to...
  7. Custom Folder Icons issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom Folder Icons issue: Hello, I'm totally new to this community so I don't know if I'm posting it in the right topic. I'm making customized DVD shape folder icons for my movies. As long as it is PNG it's fine. When I convert it into *.ico with "Any to Icon" and export it to my desktop it is fine...
  8. Customized Desktop Icon/Image Disappears From The Folder Repeatedly.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customized Desktop Icon/Image Disappears From The Folder Repeatedly.: Hello, I have set several personalized, customized desktop folder icons through 'properties > customize > change icon > apply > ok.' Some of them work fine, but there are a pesky few that just refuse to stick to the folder and they disappear. As a result I would try it...
  9. Icons and Folders Disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons and Folders Disappear: This issue just happened twice in the last week. Did a search and there were very old threads related to this but none of the fixes worked. I image my C drive every other day so it only takes about 3 mins to restore, but that's not the point. All the icons on the desktop and...
  10. Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders'

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders': Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders' ----- I first posted this as a reply to a tutorial but then I noticed it is better suited here ----- First of all, thanks for this guide and all other guides that eliminate the junk that's just useless and irritating. I don't need...