Windows 10: Custom "Folder Types"

Discus and support Custom "Folder Types" in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I don't know if I should put this here, or in another question. I also don't want to be accused of asking the same question that has already been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Daniel Kempton, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Custom "Folder Types"

So I don't know if I should put this here, or in another question. I also don't want to be accused of asking the same question that has already been answered and just making trouble. That is not my intent. I already know that there is no ability to add additional "folder types" to the 5 that are provided, "General, Documents, Video, Music, Pictures." However my question is WHY? I was hoping someone from Microsoft could explain to me WHY? WHY is this is still not a feature with in Windows. The interest from the community is certainly there. I can find questions about this feature goin

:)

Daniel Kempton, Apr 15, 2024
  2. LesFerch Win User

Custom "Folder Types"

Custom folder types can be created in the registry. That's the easy part. The difficult part is applying a custom folder type to an individual folder or an entire folder tree. There's no way to add a custom folder type to the list of 5 types that are available under "Customize". Currently, it would require a complex custom Explorer extension to achieve the desired result. It's something I may try to program some day (if Microsoft doesn't build in such a feature), but I'm making no promises, as my investigations so far have shown that it's a significant challenge.

Microsoft has not made any announcements in regards to adding any custom folder type capability and I wouldn't hold my breath. The Windows 11 File Explorer has actually regressed, in regards to folder type features, from Windows 10. IMO, Microsoft should focus on those bug fixes first, but their priorities are a mystery to me. Explorer also needs some other basic features like a simple checkbox to turn off automatic folder type discovery, an option to manually "rediscover" the folder type for a single folder or an entire tree, improved sort ordering (e.g. option to ignore extensions when sorting), etc. And, not least of all, proper support for long paths (i.e. >260 Characters).

Some third party file managers, such as Directory Opus, do many things better than Explorer, so that's an option to consider in the meantime.

LesFerch, Apr 15, 2024
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Custom "Folder Types"

Hi Daniel,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

You are correct, there is no native setting, method or even a known registry hack to create a custom folder type in Windows, they never implemented that in any version of Windows, including Windows 10/11.

The best option may be to open the Feedback Hub (Windows Key + F) and suggest to the developers they add this as an option to File Explorer.

DaveM121, Apr 15, 2024
  4. mrgeek Win User

Custom "Folder Types"

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Apr 15, 2024
Thema:

Custom "Folder Types"

1. Custom "Folder Types" - Similar Threads - Custom Folder Types

2. Custom "Folder Types"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom "Folder Types": So I don't know if I should put this here, or in another question. I also don't want to be accused of asking the same question that has already been answered and just making trouble. That is not my intent. I already know that there is no ability to add additional "folder...
  3. Custom "Folder Types"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom "Folder Types": So I don't know if I should put this here, or in another question. I also don't want to be accused of asking the same question that has already been answered and just making trouble. That is not my intent. I already know that there is no ability to add additional "folder...
  4. Custom "Folder Types"

Custom "Folder Types": In windows 10, there are 5 built-in folder types defined for folder templates. I would like to create additional types of my own, but have run into the frustration that there simply does not seem to be away to do that within windows. The list of available folder types, seems...
  5. Custom "Folder Types"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom "Folder Types": In windows 10, there are 5 built-in folder types defined for folder templates. I would like to create additional types of my own, but have run into the frustration that there simply does not seem to be away to do that within windows. The list of available folder types, seems...
  6. Custom "Folder Types"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows Explorer - Folder types "stuck" in Customize menu for old folder paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer - Folder types "stuck" in Customize menu for old folder paths: Currently running Windows 10 Pro 1909, and I'm running into a peculiar issue with the functionality for setting folders to specific "types" under the Customize menu in a folder's properties in Explorer. I see the normal set of selections under the "Optimize this folder for"...
  8. Custom typing noises?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom typing noises?: How do you do it? Right now I'm on a laptop, but could someone explain to me (as the title says) how to put custom sounds onto your laptop keyboard whenever you type? (example: let's say i press A once, then I want a "bruh" sound to come 0.1 seconds after I press A.)...
  9. Cannot customize Windows folders to the desired type

Cannot customize Windows folders to the desired type: On Windows 10, File Explorer includes five different templates to customize the view of folders, including "General items" (default for every new folder), "Documents," "Pictures," "Music," and "Videos." Unfortunately, for some unknown reasons, I cannot customize my folders...
  10. customize a folder

customize a folder: How can I customize a folder by placing a photograph on the outside cover. Thanks for the help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-a-folder/99898af7-c99b-4d94-89f8-b4f0b3039375"