Windows 10: Custom icon front-back for folders containing files

Discus and support Custom icon front-back for folders containing files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings, Through editing the registry i replaced the default icon for general folders, it applies with empty folders and non-big-icon views (as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barnack, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Barnack Win User

Custom icon front-back for folders containing files

Greetings,
    Through editing the registry i replaced the default icon for general folders, it applies with empty folders and non-big-icon views (as suggested in some old guide):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
    ; Folder
    "3"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\Folder.ico,0"
    "4"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\Folder.ico,0"
    ; This Pc (from other folders, not from desktop)
    "15"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\ThisPc.ico,0"
    ; Change the arrow of all shortcuts
    "29"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\ShortcutArrow.ico,0"
    ; again folder
    "155"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\Folder.ico,0"
    "205"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\Folder.ico,0"

Then i found out left value numbers coincide with the index of said icon inside imageres.dll, which is the file that holds all default stuff.
    In the past i've directly edited imageres.dll via a resource editing tool, but doing so the default imageres.dll would be recovered with every single windows update or check, and i dont want to replace it manually everytime.
    Since the previous keys seem to override the images from imageres.dll, i looked there for the two images used as back side and front side of the folder icon when it contains files that are previewed, ad added the two relative keys to the registry:

; Folder with content
    ;back
    "5"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\Folder Back.ico,0"
    ;front
    "6"="%UserProfile%\\System\\Icons\\Folder Front.ico,0"
    But unlike the previous ones, this doesn't work; i cant find any duplicate within imageres, 5 and 6 are the only indexes where folder's back and front parts appear.
    Does anyone know any way to override the default? Or did i miss something?

Note: this solution of redirecting the original index to a path doesn't work with the icons that depend on your theme (this pc, recycle bin), theme's settings override both imageres.dll and registry. I noticed because even editing imageres default "this pc" icon i kept seeing the one from current theme.

But folder's back-front aren't theme-dependent so… idk

• back icon replacement
    • front icon replacement

Custom icon front-back for folders containing files [​IMG]

:)

Barnack, Jan 5, 2019

2. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Jan 5, 2019
  3. how to set a permanent custom folder icon in windows 10?

Hello Muhammad,

Folders are normally displayed with the standard folder icon. However, there's another format that can be used for this concern which is called desktop.ini.
    It is used to assign a custom icon or thumbnail image to a folder. You can also use it to create an info tip that displays information about the folder and controls some aspects of the folder's behavior, such as specifying localized names for the folder
    or items in the folder.

For us to get this fixed, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this

link
    . This contains advanced troubleshooting steps that will resolve your concern.

Please let us know how it goes.

Lawrence Lib, Jan 5, 2019
  4. Custom icon front-back for folders containing files

Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I don't undestand what you are asking, but cool sig by the way *Rockout :rockout:

douglatins, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

Custom icon front-back for folders containing files

1. Custom icon front-back for folders containing files - Similar Threads - Custom icon front

2. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  3. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  4. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  5. Custom Folder Icons issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom Folder Icons issue: Hello, I'm totally new to this community so I don't know if I'm posting it in the right topic. I'm making customized DVD shape folder icons for my movies. As long as it is PNG it's fine. When I convert it into *.ico with "Any to Icon" and export it to my desktop it is fine...
  6. Setting custom icons for folders with a .ico file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting custom icons for folders with a .ico file: so i am trying to customize a folder but when i go to set this .ico i have it seems it is looking for a file that has icons stored in it and i am unable to customize it. Please help....
  7. DLL Files containing icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DLL Files containing icons: I'm rebuilding my Win10 desktop after recovering from a failure to boot. I've used GOOGLE to obtain a list of DLL files that hold icons. They're located in the "system32" folder, along with HUNDREDS of other DLL files that DON'T hold icons, and whose names make no sense...
  8. folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default: Like it says on the title. The only thing I can add to that, this is happening on internal HDD that is other than my OS drive. I customized icons but after reboot, they keep reverting back to default. For years this was not an issue and all of a sudden it is... 131381
  9. folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default

in Windows 10 Support
    folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default: Like it says on the title. The only thing I can add to that, this is happening on internal HDD that is other than my OS drive. I customized icons but after reboot, they keep reverting back to default. For years this was not an issue and all of a sudden it is... 131381
  10. Custom File Icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom File Icons?: I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing? If so, then ideally...