Windows 10: Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly

Discus and support Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I created a custom US QWERTZ keyboard layout using Microsoft Layout Keyboard Creator. It's the US layout with the Z and Y keys swapped. I successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Patyo21, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Patyo21 Win User

Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly

I created a custom US QWERTZ keyboard layout using Microsoft Layout Keyboard Creator. It's the US layout with the Z and Y keys swapped. I successfully managed to create and install it, the problem arises when I try to use it. When I use it for some time let's say a few hours the Z and Y keys randomly swap back to the places they are on the original US layout, despite me still using the US QWERTZ layout. Restarting the computer fixes this problem, but you probably can imagine why I don't want to restart it every single time the keys get swapped. Does anyone have any idea why this keeps happen

:)

Patyo21, Jul 13, 2021

2. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

ricecrispies, Jul 13, 2021
  3. RQT
    rqt Win User
    Keyboard Layout

"Letters and numbers are all correct, but most of the other signs are misplaced"

This suggests to me that you are using the wrong "keyboard language" for your keyboard, and that therefore you first step would be to determine exactly what language keyboard you have. Possibly have a look at Windows Keyboard Layouts - Globalization | Microsoft Docs.

(The age of any laptop capable of running Windows 10 at all should not be a problem as regards keyboard layout)

4. Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly

Custom keyboard layout not reflected on on-screen keyboard

Hi,

On my device with Windows and touch screen I am using a custom keyboard layout (Dvorak with custom characters).

I have created it with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22339
    (it is the only tool I know to adjust keyboard layout in Windows).

Until previous Windows 10 build both physical and on-screen keyboards worked fine.

But when I upgraded Windows 10 to build 1709 my on-screen keyboard displays wrong (default QWERTY) layout. Still keys work as per my custom layout.

Reinstalling the keyboard does not fix it.

Please help. How can I get my custom keyboard layout get properly displayed on on-screen keyboard? Is there any other tool to do it?

Can I report somewhere a bug in Windows 10 build 1709?

Wojciech E., Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly

1. Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly - Similar Threads - Custom keyboard layout

2. Custom keyboard layout problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom keyboard layout problem: Hello,I'm italian and just switched to an American keyboard, I need the accented vowels so i made a new keyboard layout with MS Keyobaord Layout Creator 1.4, adding the AltGr ctrl+alt +<vowel> shortcuts for lowercase and shift+ctrl+alt+<vowel> for uppercase.Installed it on...
  3. Custom keyboard layout problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom keyboard layout problem: Hello,I'm italian and just switched to an American keyboard, I need the accented vowels so i made a new keyboard layout with MS Keyobaord Layout Creator 1.4, adding the AltGr ctrl+alt +<vowel> shortcuts for lowercase and shift+ctrl+alt+<vowel> for uppercase.Installed it on...
  4. Custom keyboard layout no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom keyboard layout no longer working: I have a custom keyboard layout that I created through Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator for typing in the Esperanto language, using Alt Gr + Ctrl to access some characters.This was working until recently, but the Alt Gr + Ctrl no longer functions. I have tested the buttons...
  5. Custom keyboard layout no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom keyboard layout no longer working: I have a custom keyboard layout that I created through Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator for typing in the Esperanto language, using Alt Gr + Ctrl to access some characters.This was working until recently, but the Alt Gr + Ctrl no longer functions. I have tested the buttons...
  6. Custom keyboard layout, Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom keyboard layout, Win 11: I absolutely need to use a costum keyboard layout for work, and now I see MSKLC won't even install supposedly because my .NET Framwork is too new. I do have my old .klc file, but it won't open. What do I do?...
  7. Custom Keyboard Layouts in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom Keyboard Layouts in Windows 11: A wonderful day everyone,Previously I have used the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to create custom keyboard layouts, however not only is Windows 11 not listed as a supported operating system, but I cannot use the installed keyboards as they get shrugged off as...
  8. Installing a Custom Keyboard Layout

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installing a Custom Keyboard Layout: Upon purchasing my laptop, I installed a custom keyboard layout creator, as I prefer the Colemak keyboard layout which Windows does not automatically provide. Once the layout was created and upon launching the setup for said layout, I am presented with a pop-up that reads...
  9. Incorrect layout for Custom keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect layout for Custom keyboard: There is a custom keyboard we want to install on Windows 10. It was created using MSKLC 1.4. I have attached below an image of the Custom keyboard, as I can see on MSKLC. It is not very clear but everything is placed correctly. It shows me the correct output when I test it on...
  10. Custom keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom keyboard layout?: Does anyone know of an easy way to make a custom keyboard layout for windows 10? When searching, I've seen that Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 has limited compatibility with Windows 10, but it's no longer available for download as far as I've seen. Any good...