Windows 10: custom keyboard problems

Discus and support custom keyboard problems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I use a customized dvorak style keyboard layout on my surface pro 3, and I have been having some odd problems with windows 10. specifically, on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gingersassy, Jul 27, 2015.

1. custom keyboard problems

Hello. I use a customized dvorak style keyboard layout on my surface pro 3, and I have been having some odd problems with windows 10. specifically, on my custom keyboard I assigned numbers to altgr spots to make it like I have a numpad so I don't have to use the upper row to type numbers. for the most part there are no problems with it except for two cases, on the windows login screen pressing altgr c is supposed to yield an 8, but nothing happens when I do that. also, on the edge browser, the same problem occurs with the number 1 (altgr m). I have a feeling the problem lies in keyboard shortcuts, but I have no idea what to do about it, I never use keyboard shortcuts but I can't seem to find any place to turn them off. Does anybody agree that's my problem? if so what should I do to fix it? if you don't agree, what do you think the problem is, and do you have any idea how to solve it?

:)

gingersassy, Jul 27, 2015

2. CUSTOMIZE KEYBOARD

Setting up a new Surface Book, i want to TURN OFF caps lock by pressing the SHIFT KEY. Used to be very easy:
    • Go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards & Languages > Change Keyboard > Advanced Key Settings.
    Cannot find how to do this with Windows 10. I know it works because it works on my laptop which migrated to Windows 10. Please tell me how to make this setting change.

Thank you.

Jim Madaffer, Jul 27, 2015
  3. CUSTOMIZE KEYBOARD

Hi Jaime,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1:

• Bring the Start Menu on your screen and you can see a gear symbol saying
      Settings. Click on Settings.
    • After the Settings app window gets spread on your screen, choose
      Ease of Access category.
    • Now look at the left pane of Ease of Access and you can see many areas of settings are present. Click
      Keyboard.
    • The right side of the Keyboard exhibits you many settings with a slider to easily handle them. So, let us see each of them separately!

Step 2:

On-Screen Keyboard

• Turns on the On-screen keyboard: If you prefer to use the on-screen keyboard, you can turn on the toggle. When you turn on the on-screen keyboard, wait for couple of seconds and
      then you can see the keyboard on your display screen. Take a look at the below screenshot. Switch off the slider and it will go off from the screen.
    Step 3:

Sticky Keys.

• Press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts: This feature is favorite among those who love to use keyboard shortcuts for every small activities they do. Usually, to copy a content
      you use two keyboard keys simultaneously (Ctrl and C). But after you enable this option, click Ctrl key, release it, then click C key and your selected stuff will be copied. There are four modifier keys that become “sticky” when you turn on this feature. They
      are Shift, Ctrl, alt and Windows keys. Turning it on makes your work easy when two keys are far from each other and hitting them simultaneously becomes irritated.
    • Turn on Sticky keys when Shift is pressed five times: Instead on turning sticky key on from the above way, you can enable it by pressing Shift key five times continuously. After
      doing so, you can see a dialog box waiting for your confirmation to activate the feature.
    • Lock modifier key when pressed twice in a row: This is the most useful option. By default it is turned on. When this feature is enabled you can carry out many copy and paste work.
      Just press Ctrl key twice and then use “C” or “V” keys the number of times to copy or paste number of items.
    • Turn Off Sticky Keys by releasing a modifier key in combination with another key: To disable the sticky keys you can jointly press a modifier key along with any other key.
    • Play sound when modifier key is latched, locked and released: You can hear a sound when you press the modifier key, when its gets locked and also when it is released. If you don’t
      prefer to hear the sound, disable this option.
    • Display the Sticky Keys icon on taskbar: With this feature enabled you can see a Sticky Keys icon on the system tray of taskbar.
    Step 4:

Toggle Keys.

• Hear a tone when you press Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock: By mistake you can press caps lock or num lock or scroll lock key and later on realize it. So to avoid the confusion,
      you can turn this feature on and hear a beep tone when you press any of these keys.
    • Turn on Toggle Keys by holding the NUM lock key for 5 seconds: If this feature is enabled, you can turn on the Toggle Keys by keep holding the Num lock key for 5 seconds of time.
    Step 5:

Filter Keys

• Ignore or slowdown brief or repeated keystrokes and adjust keyboard repeat rates: If you are scared of pressing any keys number of times, enable this feature which ignores the activity.
      This is really useful when you kids at home and who might press any keys number of times and that might hamper on your work.
    • Turn on Filter key when Shift is pressed for 8 seconds: Keep hold the Shift key for 8 seconds and you can see Filter Key is turned on.
    • Beep when keys are pressed or accepted: You can hear a beep sound when a key is pressed and accepted by the system.
    • Display the Filter Key icon on Taskbar: To know if the Filter Keys are on, enable this toggle to On and see its icon on Taskbar.
    • Enable Slow Keys: Turn this feature on if you want a delay between hitting a key and the action taking place on your computer. After you turn it on, you can see a drop-down menu
      with a different time slots. Choose a time after whose expiration the computer will accept your keystroke.
    • Enable Repeat Keys: Turn this feature on if you want to have the repeated keys. This again provides you two different time slot drop-down menus. First is to select the time for
      computer to wit for the first repeated keystroke and the second one is to how long the computer will wait for the subsequent repeated keystrokes.
    Step 6:

Other Settings

• Enable Shortcut underlines: To underline the hotkeys by default, you can enable this feature.
    • Disable a warning message when turning a setting on with a shortcut: When you turn on a setting with the help of a shortcut keys, you get a warning message.
    • Make a sound when turning a setting on or off with a shortcut: You can hear a sound when you enable any setting using keyboard shortcut.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 27, 2015
Thema:

custom keyboard problems

1. custom keyboard problems - Similar Threads - custom keyboard problems

2. Custom keyboard layout problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom keyboard layout problem: Hello,I'm italian and just switched to an American keyboard, I need the accented vowels so i made a new keyboard layout with MS Keyobaord Layout Creator 1.4, adding the AltGr ctrl+alt +<vowel> shortcuts for lowercase and shift+ctrl+alt+<vowel> for uppercase.Installed it on...
  3. Custom keyboard layout problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom keyboard layout problem: Hello,I'm italian and just switched to an American keyboard, I need the accented vowels so i made a new keyboard layout with MS Keyobaord Layout Creator 1.4, adding the AltGr ctrl+alt +<vowel> shortcuts for lowercase and shift+ctrl+alt+<vowel> for uppercase.Installed it on...
  4. Custom keyboard text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom keyboard text: For those of you who are familiar with Minecraft, you should know what I am referring to here. Anyways, I would like to try and make my keyboard to where whatever I type, it is in the Standard Galactic Alphabet. I can try and make it a keyboard font if it isn't currently...
  5. Delete a custom keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete a custom keyboard?: Hello,This "new" keyboard layout has appeared out of the blue ?! in my pc. It's impossible to remove it from the windows settings as is seen with the photo. I tried the registry edit solution, but after deleting the respective register and restarting, it is still there. What...
  6. Customize Keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Customize Keyboard shortcuts: I want to create keyboard shortcuts using modifiers or combinations thereof to insert characters like # and é without using the Character Map. Is there a way to do this? I have looked through Settings but came up blank....
  7. making a custom keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    making a custom keyboard: Hello! I'd like to set up an additional keyboard, which will use U+014A/U+014B (from Unicode) and U+00D1/U+00F1 in place of the "v" and "q". . .Any ideas on how to do that? I tried downloading the Keyboard layout creater, but they said I needed to download .NET framework...
  8. Custom keyboard layout uninstall/duplicating problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom keyboard layout uninstall/duplicating problem: On Windows 10 64 bit amd computer. I added a keyboard layout and then made another, not sure how it happened but now whenever I add layout two it adds layout one instead. I've tried reinstalling layout one and removing it, creating a totally new layout and installing that....
  9. Is there a way to customize keyboards?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a way to customize keyboards?: I would like to customize the keyboard so that one of the function keys makes a degree º symbol. Is there a way to do this? 73376
  10. Customize On-Screen Keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize On-Screen Keyboard: When I open the on screen keyboard on my Asus VivoTab 8 with my stylus it opens the "writing box" rather than the actual keyboard. Obviously this writing box isn't very useful because it's inaccurate and you can't really write more than one word at a time. My question is, how...