Windows 10: custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

Discus and support custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have set custom keyboard shortcuts to many apps that I use regularly for ease of working. eg. ctrl+alt+E to launch Excel. However every now and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ajith Kumar Thankappan, Sep 8, 2022.

1. custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

I have set custom keyboard shortcuts to many apps that I use regularly for ease of working. eg. ctrl+alt+E to launch Excel. However every now and then the short cut gets reset and I have to manually set it again. I can't figure out yet what triggers the reset.. It seems random to me. I am running Windows 10 Home build 19044.

:)

Ajith Kumar Thankappan, Sep 8, 2022
  2. cniggeler Win User

List custom keyboard shortcuts

Hi,

I would like to create a shortcut to Windows Update using CTRL-ALT-U, but when I try to put that in the shortcut key area of the shortcut, it blanks out again. This means I have used that key combo elsewhere, but typing it doesn't do anything. I upgraded
    from Win7 to Win10 and I think I set it for Windows 7 Update.

My questions are,

1. How do I reassign this shortcut?
    2. How do I get a list of custom shortcuts that are already set?

Thanks!

cniggeler, Sep 8, 2022
  3. joShu001 Win User
    Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Nyima, thanks for suggesting some methods to fix this problem.

Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.

I recommend you try to replicate the problem on your own device:

Create a keyboard shortcut to an app or folder in Windows 10.

Windows help & learning

Then try the shortcut you just created.

Note how long it takes.

Then use a built-in short such as CTRL SHIFT ESC (Task Manager)

Note how long it takes.

Compare the times.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, in Windows 8 custom keyboard shortcuts used to take a long time, and then keyboard shortcuts became very fast after a Windows 8 patch.

Then I updated to Windows 10 and now the shortcut delay is back.

I have two Windows 10 devices and the keyboard shortcut delay is on both of them.

It is something inherent to Windows 10.

Since non-custom shortcut keys (E.g. CTRL SHIFT ESC, Windows Key E, etc., Windows Key 1, etc.) are nearly instantaneous I compromised on this problem for now by putting the links I commonly use on the taskbar using this technique:

Pin Any Item to the Windows 7 Taskbar

The first link on your taskbar corresponds to the shortcut Windows Key 1, etc.

Compromising in this manner means I have to relearn all my shortcuts, annoying, but at least these taskbar shortcuts have no delays, unlike the custom shortcut keys.

joShu001, Sep 8, 2022
  4. Arun B J Win User

custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 8, 2022
Thema:

custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

1. custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting - Similar Threads - custom Keyboard shortcuts

2. Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?: Hi Community,I would like to know how shut down my Windows 11 laptop from keyboard shortcuts not with ALT + F4 and on internet i've read the shortcut is CTRL + ALT + DELETE but it doesn't work. Generally i would like to know how i can customize if it's possible the keyboard...
  3. Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is customize keyboard shortcuts possible?: Hi Community,I would like to know how shut down my Windows 11 laptop from keyboard shortcuts not with ALT + F4 and on internet i've read the shortcut is CTRL + ALT + DELETE but it doesn't work. Generally i would like to know how i can customize if it's possible the keyboard...
  4. custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting: I have set custom keyboard shortcuts to many apps that I use regularly for ease of working. eg. ctrl+alt+E to launch Excel. However every now and then the short cut gets reset and I have to manually set it again. I can't figure out yet what triggers the reset.. It seems...
  5. custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    custom Keyboard shortcuts keeps resetting: I have set custom keyboard shortcuts to many apps that I use regularly for ease of working. eg. ctrl+alt+E to launch Excel. However every now and then the short cut gets reset and I have to manually set it again. I can't figure out yet what triggers the reset.. It seems...
  6. custom keyboard shortcut for Undo and Redo

in Windows 10 Support
    custom keyboard shortcut for Undo and Redo: I have a program in which I use the "Undo" keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-z, and the "Redo" shortcut of Ctrl-y, dozens of time daily. I am a poor typist an it would be much easier for me to have a single key shortcut for both of these functions. Is it possible to customize Windows...
  7. Keyboard shortcuts for specific layouts keep resetting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard shortcuts for specific layouts keep resetting: Hi, I've asked this on a million websites yet never got a single reply, so I'll try here. Windows has this feature where you can set a hotkey to instantly switch to a keyboard layout of your liking. (link if you don't know what I'm talking about) However it tends to reset...
  8. Customize Keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Customize Keyboard shortcuts: I want to create keyboard shortcuts using modifiers or combinations thereof to insert characters like # and é without using the Character Map. Is there a way to do this? I have looked through Settings but came up blank....
  9. Creating Custom Keyboard Shortcuts to Control Volume

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating Custom Keyboard Shortcuts to Control Volume: Ok, been looking for a potential solution all morning. I'm wondering, is there's a simple keyboard shortcut that either exists or one I can create to mute the volume of the current app I have open without having to open the volume mixer? It's just slightly annoying when...
  10. Maintaining custom keyboard shortcuts across restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Maintaining custom keyboard shortcuts across restarts: My keyboard does does not have a sleep button so I setup a desktop shortcut with the command line command (rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0) per instructions on various sites and setup a keyboard shortcut of F2 in the Properties. It works, but then when I...