Windows 10: Custom shotrcut keys not working after logging out or restarting PC on domain environment

Discus and support Custom shotrcut keys not working after logging out or restarting PC on domain environment in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My custom shortcut keys / hotkeys for desktop shortcuts (for example, to say that keystroke combination control-shift-alt-N opens Notepad) work fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by johnqflorida, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Custom shotrcut keys not working after logging out or restarting PC on domain environment

My custom shortcut keys / hotkeys for desktop shortcuts (for example, to say that keystroke combination control-shift-alt-N opens Notepad) work fine until I logoff. Next time, they don't work (even though the shortcut properties display that the keys are still active.)

Background: Desktop shortcuts can have a custom hotkey assigned as follows: Right click the shortcut, choose properties, click into the 'Shortcut key' box, pick a keyboard combination, then hit Apply, then OK). (By the way, If you don't use these, give it a try, you'll love it.) (More background, I have all these shortcuts on my desktop (which along with the start menu, are the two places where you have to save them, if you want the custom shortcut key to work.) And finally, this is a corporate environment where Windows is pretty carefully locked down, although I do have admin access.)

Problem:

It seems to be after logging off or restarting. When I return, hitting my saved shortcut-key combination will not activate the application (none of them will). The shortcut keys still show up when I look at the shortcut's properties though, but they no longer function.)

More background: With the pre-existing ones not working, I can create a NEW shortcut to something else, assign a new (different keystroke combination) custom shortcut key, apply and store it, and THAT new custom shortcut key will work, until the next logoff/restart.

What I've tried:

I found suggestions about Region settings and Language settings (I've only got one region and language selected, so that tip didn't apply), the registry ("nowinkeys", but that did not apply, it had NOT been previously disabled), and group policy edit ("turn off windows hotkeys"), but again, it had not been disabled previously. I've tried re-saving the shortcuts. And I have them specifically on the desktop, which is where they're supposed to be.

So, what's going on? Any ideas?

***Original title: Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for hotkey shortcuts to open apps stop working after logoff***

:)

johnqflorida, Oct 17, 2019

2. I can't log in and domain problems

Hi Tucker,

There are several factors which might have affected the log in issue, namely: a restriction set by the network domain administrator, if your computer is connected to a network domain; or a recent update or program installed prior to the issue. To help you
    resolve the log-in issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Were there any changes made prior to the issue, or before the PC was reset?
    • Are you using a PC connected to a network domain?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you have done in an attempt to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your prompt response.

Vanessa Oca, Oct 17, 2019
  3. Logging in as Other User in domain

My fully updated Win10 machine logs into my domain as "Other User" and just spins - after a restart. I've also tried to log in as an Administrator and the same thing happens. If I shut down it will let me log in normal.

My pdc is a Windows Server 2012 R2 with no dns issues - dcdiag passes all tests and no other pc's in the domain suffer this issue.

I have two network cards - one is static and the other is used for a Hyper-V switch. If I disable the switch I can log in normal from a restart. I work alot remotely, so this is not an ideal solution especially if updates restart my pc. How do I stop this behavior?

michelle911, Oct 17, 2019
  4. Custom shotrcut keys not working after logging out or restarting PC on domain environment

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Oct 17, 2019
Thema:

Custom shotrcut keys not working after logging out or restarting PC on domain environment

1. Custom shotrcut keys not working after logging out or restarting PC on domain environment - Similar Threads - Custom shotrcut keys

2. Log user out after exiting his custom shell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Log user out after exiting his custom shell: I have created a guest user account on my windows 10 laptop. I have also created a custom shell which is Age of Empires 3.exe. It works as intended, after he logs in, the custom shell the game itself is launched and he can play it. However after he quits the game, he gets...
  3. Log user out after exiting his custom shell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Log user out after exiting his custom shell: I have created a guest user account on my windows 10 laptop. I have also created a custom shell which is Age of Empires 3.exe. It works as intended, after he logs in, the custom shell the game itself is launched and he can play it. However after he quits the game, he gets...
  4. Log user out after exiting his custom shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC is suddenly extremely slow + logged out of Chrome after restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC is suddenly extremely slow + logged out of Chrome after restart: Hello Please, I need help. Yesterday, I usually closed browser and applications, and turned off the computer. And today, I turned on computer, and it is extremely slow. I´ve Ryzen 7 3800X. Normally in the past, when I pushed the start up button on my tower, I was in Windows...
  6. Getting logged out of everything after restarting.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting logged out of everything after restarting.: I just reset my computer recently and for some reason, everything gets logged out after restarting my computer(onedrive, adobe, chrome)? I read somewhere its a bug from version 2004 but I have already update to 20h2. Any idea how do I fix this? submitted by /u/ZedNg...
  7. automatic restart after placing the pc in Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    automatic restart after placing the pc in Recovery Environment: Hello, first I must say that I was leaving the PC updating at 19% and it lasted a long time, so I turned it off and when I turned it on the PC said "Undoing changes made to your computer", so I looked for some solution on the internet at this link...
  8. Custom Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Custom Recovery Environment: I updated my Macrium and figured it had been a while since I created my recovery USB and it was recommending I did so after the latest update. Cool. It's been so long since I initially created it that it turns out I forgot I got the image from elsewhere and I wasn't...
  9. log in log out fatigue and custom scale set

in Windows 10 Customization
    log in log out fatigue and custom scale set: I use my HP spectre 13 with two external monitors in the office. Several programs are not displaying correctly on the monitor so I had to find a solution to fix this. What works is to insert a custom scaling size of 100% under "advanced scaling settings". All programs are...
  10. AutoLogon not working in domain environment

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    AutoLogon not working in domain environment: I have a strange problem with AutoLogon in our domain environment: we have several machines that are configured for autologon, where the registry entries DefaultUsername, DefaultPassword, DefaultDomainName are all verified as having the correct data, and AutoAdminLogon is...