Windows 10: Custom-sized Windows boot drive when Clean Installing

Discus and support Custom-sized Windows boot drive when Clean Installing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When performing a clean custom install of Windows 10 and the user wishes to generate a custom-sized Windows boot drive, there is a major fault in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ian Mosley, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Custom-sized Windows boot drive when Clean Installing

When performing a clean custom install of Windows 10 and the user wishes to generate a custom-sized Windows boot drive, there is a major fault in the process; I was clean installing Windows 10 v2004 Build 19041.264 x64.

When users want to allocate a bespoke sized boot drive using the 'New' option, they have to change the size one digit at a time. In my case I wished to have a bespoke size of 500GB and had to change the size from 950000-odd to 512000 by keeping my mouse pointer on the 'down-arrow' for about 60-80 minutes until I lowered it to the size I wanted.

You need to be able to just overwrite this field with the required size.

It was not an issue until Build19041.264; previously all the system partitions were installed BEFORE the Windows boot partition; now, the 'Recovery' partition is created last of all, and once you select a size for the boot partition, it cannot be changed other than by doing a fresh clean install.

:)

Ian Mosley, Jun 7, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Wile E Win User
    Windows Vista Clean Installation

To do a clean install on a fresh hard drive with Vista on an upgrade disc, you have to follow certain steps. Buying a full install CD would've been easier, but using the upgrade disc only adds more time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Follow the instructions here to do a clean install with an upgrade disc: http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/perform-a-clean-install-with-a-vista-upgrade-disc

Wile E, Jun 7, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Custom-sized Windows boot drive when Clean Installing

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Custom-sized Windows boot drive when Clean Installing

1. Custom-sized Windows boot drive when Clean Installing - Similar Threads - Custom sized boot

2. How to clean install Windows on a second drive to turn it into the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clean install Windows on a second drive to turn it into the boot drive?: I just installed an m.2 NVME drive in my computer to try and lower boot times, as the hybrid drive I cloned my original hard drive to, including the original install of windows, tends to take around 15-30 minutes to fully boot up and get my computer completely operational. I...
  3. Is this the correct size for clean install of Win10Pro

Is this the correct size for clean install of Win10Pro: Hello, I have done a new install on a brand new SSD and would like to know if this is the correct size. I loaded some win7 drivers to get the device manager correct. The user profiles were moved to another partition. The only software loaded is Macrium Reflect as I made a...
  4. Re-install a clean windows 10, when Boot Loader is "ON".

Re-install a clean windows 10, when Boot Loader is "ON".: Hi, Does anyone KNOW, how to reinstall WINDOWS 10, clean, from a USB KEy i've got, on a PC that shows BOOT LOADER at startup ??? See picture below. I only need to re-install the windows system, on one of those volumes. Any idea ? I'm lost. And no complicated code to...
  5. Cursor arrow when booting into clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cursor arrow when booting into clean install: Hi i have asked this question before i have an hp14-cf3xxx laptop and i recently downloaded again the media creation tool so it created and i disabled secure boot in boot menu and restarted pc and it came up the windows 10 install so i used my built in mouse and couldnt find...
  6. Booting clean installation of windows 10

Booting clean installation of windows 10: Hi, I am Rishad. So,basically I was trying to reinstall windows after the C: drive was showing error. I tried to boot it up from a bootable usb and I have succeded but my C: drive was showing error again and wanted repair after I checked it.So,I tried to install ubuntu...
  7. Custom Paper Size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Custom Paper Size: I am not able to print 24" x 36" to from my HP windows 10 laptop to my wide format printer. The printer has the capability and the correct paper size installed. I created a custom paper form to that size. But the custom size does not show up as an option when I go to print. I...
  8. App window sizing lost on clean boots.

in Windows 10 Support
    App window sizing lost on clean boots.: Why is it that all of the custom window sizing of my apps is occasionally lost on clean boots? 123099
  9. install size Update vs Clean

install size Update vs Clean: Running on a 128GB SSD card, the Windows directory is around 50 GB's. Not much room left for anything else. Windows 8 was significantly less. After every update I delete the $Windows~BT directory and the Windows.old directory to free up about 8GB's.. but it's not enough....
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...