Windows 10: Custom WSL Distro Not Launching

Discus and support Custom WSL Distro Not Launching in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hello world. I recently decided to try installing a Linux distro to use with Windows Subsystem for Linux. I did not like any of the options provided,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Skywayz_Zarthic, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Custom WSL Distro Not Launching

Hello world. I recently decided to try installing a Linux distro to use with Windows Subsystem for Linux. I did not like any of the options provided, however, so I tried to use a "custom" one. I say this in quotes because the distro was publicly available, but not as a WSL package/thing/whatever. The distro was Feren OS, and I used a tutorial I found on an official Microsoft page to try to install it. Here's the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/use-custom-distro. I got all the way down to the part where I run "wsl -d FerenOS" with no issues, but when I got to that sectio

:)

Skywayz_Zarthic, Sep 1, 2021
  2. NickJP Win User

Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2

After installing the Win10 2004 build 19041 update (running winver shows "version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)", I've tried to upgrade a couple of installed distros I had in WSL version 1 to WSL version 2 following the instructions at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10. All the steps in the instructions compete successfully, up to the point where I try to change the WSL version of one of the installed distros to 2 at which point I see the messages below:

Code:
    I have enabled the Virtual Machine Platform feature (it shows as on with a tick against it in Control Panel Windows features), Intel-vt virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, and running msinfo32 shows, at the bottom of the system summary listing:

Code:
    I also tried installing another distro with the WSL default version set to 2, but attempting to launch it shows the error:

Code:
    Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? From what I've read, WSL2 gives worthwhile speed increases over WSL1, and so is worth using if I can get it to work.

NickJP, Sep 1, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Sideloading Custom Linux Distro to Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux

Source: Open Sourcing a WSL Sample for Linux Distribution Maintainers and Sideloading Custom Linux Distributions Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Sep 1, 2021
  4. johngalt Win User

Custom WSL Distro Not Launching

johngalt, Sep 1, 2021
Thema:

Custom WSL Distro Not Launching

1. Custom WSL Distro Not Launching - Similar Threads - Custom WSL Distro

2. WSL 2 distro installation failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL 2 distro installation failure: Installation of WSL 2 distros fails with error Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed. I also cannot run Hyper-V...
  3. Wsl Freezes on launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wsl Freezes on launch: So essentially, I have a hotkey that opens wsl, pastes in commands to run a python script, then kills wsl. and does some other stuff. After running the hotkey a couple of times, I get greeted with a blank screen when wsl opens. Sometimes Wsl freezes first try, I'm pretty sure...
  4. WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade: Just as a note, it is most likely I did something very stupid here. Please point out what I did wrong! So strange thing today, I upgraded my nvme drive today. Went from 500GB to 1TB, but now my WSL distros are missing. what I did: use DD to clone one drive to other dd...
  5. How to stop MSRT removing the hosts files in WSL distros

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop MSRT removing the hosts files in WSL distros: Ran MSRT full system scan which reported SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack. In the log file, the following appears: Threat detected: SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack...
  6. Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2: After installing the Win10 2004 build 19041 update (running winver shows "version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)", I've tried to upgrade a couple of installed distros I had in WSL version 1 to WSL version 2 following the instructions at...
  7. How to import and export WSL distros on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to import and export WSL distros on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]With Windows 10, Microsoft allows a user to run multiple Linux distros based on WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux. But when reinstalling or resetting Windows 10, all the configuration stored with these WSL distros gets deleted. Or to back [...] This post...
  8. How to add users to WSL Distro (Windows Subsystem for Linux)

in Windows 10 News
    How to add users to WSL Distro (Windows Subsystem for Linux): [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux for Windows 10 support multiuser capabilities. And when it comes to user management for software, various aspects of software management can be discussed. Adding a user to the Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows [...]...
  9. Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10: How to: Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10 How to Update and Upgrade Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro Packages in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line...
  10. Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10: How to: Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 How to Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools...