Windows 10: Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

Discus and support Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alancsears, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset them with each change of folder. So far all the methods I have read just don't work. Before I finally accept that this is no longer possible (if it ever was), has anyone got a method that really works?

:)

alancsears, Apr 22, 2019
  2. tcebob Win User

Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default

You can set many columns in file explorer - details by right clicking on any column title and selecting one or more titles. I've added "file extension" and "attribute" to one window. This will allow sorting by the column title. I cannot find a way to save this setup as a default for all instances. The settings disappear after closing the window. There used to be an option to apply changes to all explorer windows but I can't find it in Win 10.

tcebob, Apr 22, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default

Thanks for reporting back. I have not had a problem Customizing columns with the exact details (vs icons/thumbs) I want then applying the Folder View, like in below tutorial. Hope the bat file helps as a last resort. Attached is screen of my Music and Pictures folders settings. Try to match settings to test on your system, then apply tutorial.

Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10) [​IMG]

Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10) [​IMG]
    -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

mrgeek, Apr 22, 2019
  4. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Apr 22, 2019
Thema:

Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

1. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10) - Similar Threads - Customising default columns

2. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default columns size in File Explorer: Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite...
  3. Customising File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Customising File Explorer?: How can I get file explorer columns to always open in the configuration I want? So, I want columns to be in a specific order. Size - length - date - etc. When I set them and close explorer they revert back to their original order, how do I stop that? And how do i set it to...
  4. Customising File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Customising File Explorer?: How can I get file explorer columns to always open in the configuration I want? So, I want columns to be in a specific order. Size - length - date - etc. When I set them and close explorer they revert back to their original order, how do I stop that? And how do i set it to...
  5. To Customise File Explorer in Libraries View...?

To Customise File Explorer in Libraries View...?: Hello Community Members PLEASE see the picture enclosed for your convenience and reference about want I am trying to do I want to have when FE File Explorer is OPEN to have a SET-LOOK for EASY-ACCESS So I am ORGANISED in my business and working environment saving me...
  6. file explorer columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  7. Windows Explorer Default File Columns

Windows Explorer Default File Columns: Is there a way to change the default columns when viewing in Windows Explorer? Every time I create a new folder, especially for audio files, I have to change the configuration of what info I want to see. And sometimes Windows doesn't SAVE that configuration? I have tried...
  8. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns: Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com. Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and...
  9. Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default: You can set many columns in file explorer - details by right clicking on any column title and selecting one or more titles. I've added "file extension" and "attribute" to one window. This will allow sorting by the column title. I cannot find a way to save this setup as a...
  10. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default Date column in File Explorer: One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. customize columns file explorer in windows 10