Windows 10: Customize File Explorer context menu?

Discus and support Customize File Explorer context menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . . Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ztalk112, Dec 21, 2020.

1. ztalk112 Win User

Customize File Explorer context menu?

I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . .

Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to appear on the menu? The "context" in this case is the menu that appears when you click on a .txt file, an image file or a shortcut.

v2004 build 19041

Thanks!

:)

ztalk112, Dec 21, 2020

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Customize File Explorer context menu? :(

ArmoredCavalry, Dec 21, 2020
  3. JustNoOne Win User
    Context Menus in File Explorer not rendering properly

I get the same issue too.

From a clean install, I installed the following that added context menu entries (can't remember if there's more as I'm being affected by it now):

• dropbox
    • google drive
    • bit defender
    • visual studio code
    • vlc
    I notice that this usually happens when I'm performing large copy operations between drives (60k+ files, 100+ gb). It's sporadic, but tends to occur more often when it has stalled or is going through a large number of tiny files (transfer speed is reported
    as 0 b/s to 20kb/s).

All other context menus are fine (including file explorer's address bar).

JustNoOne, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Customize File Explorer context menu?

File Explorer task bar context menu pinned items not working

Basically, when I right-click on the File Explorer it brings up the context menu fine. But when I click on a pinned or recent document it closes the context menu and then nothing happens. All other context menus work fine. Also, the File Explorer, Unpin
    and Close Window options work fine (although sometimes the list of recent files covers those options).

I tried to fix it by running gpedit.msc and going to
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer and disabled Remove File Explorer’s default context menu. I also enabled Display the menu bar in File Explorer (they were both not
    configured by default). And then I restarted my computer. It fixed nothing.

Just a small problem, because I can always just open another window through the context menu or if it's cover open another directory in another window through the already opened window. It's just a pain because I do
    a lot of file management, and it makes it really tedious and slow.

Thanks,

-

Electroshockist, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Customize File Explorer context menu?

1. Customize File Explorer context menu? - Similar Threads - Customize File Explorer

2. Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing: Somehow, my entire "New" submenu is missing in File Explorer. I tried adding the registry entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. as shown below, but it didn't help.Under ContextMenuHandlers check if you can find a key by name New, if...
  3. Feature Update and File Explorer Context Menu Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Feature Update and File Explorer Context Menu Items: It happened again today. I installed a Windows 10 Feature Update (21H1), and lost two (2) of my extra custom context menu items. The two in question pass the selected file name(s) to attrib.exe, a system utility that dates all the way to PC-DOS 1.0.Strangely, other custom...
  4. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  5. No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer: Can anyone help - this is driving me nuts and I cannot find answer anywhere ! I used to have four icons (shown in photo) when I opened my recycle bin in File Explorer. Suddenly they all disappeared. How do I get them to reappear ?? I am am using Windows 10 Home edition. Any...
  6. File Explorer Second-button Context Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Second-button Context Menu: In Detailed View mode, when right-clicking on a highlighted area of a file or folder when there is no text present, the options presented are for the folder containing that file/folder, not the file/folder being clicked on. The context-menu operation needs to work on the...
  7. Move files to a custom sub-folder using context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Move files to a custom sub-folder using context menu.: Hi, I have many Folders related to work and personal stuff. Example: Utilities Accounts Subscriptions Bills etc. Each of these folders has a sub-folder named "Archive" where I move files when I am done with them. I was wondering, is there is a way to have a context menu...
  8. ''Customize this Folder'' context menu

''Customize this Folder'' context menu: Hi, Is there a wizard around that can give me a .reg file to remove ''Customize this Folder'' from the context menu? [img] ''Customize this Folder'' context menu : techsupport 34546
  9. How to scroll File Explorer context menu

How to scroll File Explorer context menu: Windows 10 File Explorer has a arrow at the bottom to scroll the menu, how can the menu be scrolled in the old "normal" fashion? 48187
  10. Windows Explorer Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Context Menu: Windows Explorer Context Menu Add custom items to Windows Explorer shell context menu easily with Explorer Context Menu. Easy to start (just install), easy to add your menu items (just one line of template code for every menu item), easy to use (.Net C#, VB, etc.) easy to...