Windows 10: Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

Discus and support Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CraigHB, Jan 28, 2019.

1. CraigHB Win User

Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com.

Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and I'm hoping I can change some behavior in File Explorer I don't like. I've done a lot of Googling and haven't found much.

I might be one of the few who regularly use the file search function in File Explorer. It's actually pretty powerful once you get to know the syntax. With win7 once you set up a set of columns for the search returns it was persistent, would always be the same. For win10 it resets to the default view for every new folder you search which is quite annoying for me since I don't like default column set.

Does anyone know of a way to change the Search template or some other trick so Explorer Search always comes up with my column preference? I did find a reg tweak to make Search use the details view every time which helps, but that's all I've been able to find.

:)

CraigHB, Jan 28, 2019
  2. RogerOver Win User

Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns

How do I customize search result columns in File Explorer? For example, I would always like to see the Date Created column in all my searches. I have tried using tips for earlier Windows versions, but Windows 10 seems to have disabled the "Apply to Folders" button in the View tab of the Folder Options window for search results.

RogerOver, Jan 28, 2019
  3. With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Jan 28, 2019
  4. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

1. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns - Similar Threads - Customize File Explorer

2. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default columns size in File Explorer: Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite...
  3. Adding Custom File Explorer Column?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding Custom File Explorer Column?: Hello, I often work through a series of files in a directory and I'd like a way to identify which ones are done and which ones I am still working on. I know I can re-name the files but I'm wondering if there is a way to add a column to File Explorer that would be a YES/NO...
  4. File explorer custom searching

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer custom searching: In the search box in file explorer you can type date: or datemodified or size and you're supposed to get a GUI / calendar where you can specify dates, size etc... I get nothing...I cannot bring up anything of the modifiers. If i search for a word or a *.* I get results but I...
  5. file explorer columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  6. Windows Explorer Default File Columns

Windows Explorer Default File Columns: Is there a way to change the default columns when viewing in Windows Explorer? Every time I create a new folder, especially for audio files, I have to change the configuration of what info I want to see. And sometimes Windows doesn't SAVE that configuration? I have tried...
  7. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10): I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset them with each change of folder. So far all the methods I have read just don't work. Before I finally accept that this is no...
  8. Create Custom Details Column (Windows 10 File Explorer)

Create Custom Details Column (Windows 10 File Explorer): I generally use the "details" view in Windows File Explorer a lot. This is an example: [img] As you can see, I can sort my file types in various ways by clicking on the different columns at the top. However, I have a question: Is it possible to create a custom...
  9. Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns: How do I customize search result columns in File Explorer? For example, I would always like to see the Date Created column in all my searches. I have tried using tips for earlier Windows versions, but Windows 10 seems to have disabled the "Apply to Folders" button in the View...
  10. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default Date column in File Explorer: One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 save search columns

2. how to change the default columns for search results file explorer