Windows 10: Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

Discus and support Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LighthopeEF, May 19, 2022.

1. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context menu, and select Properties->Customize. Then I select Documents from the dropdown box under Optimize This Folder For. I then tick the Also Apply This Template To All Subfolders and click apply.View is not applied to subfolders. Have to manually go in and change it.Yet another Windows bug?

:)

LighthopeEF, May 19, 2022
  2. KeithM Win User

apply list view to only all subfolders

What you want can be done with Registry edits. The capability has been around since XP:

It's barely implemented in the UI via Folder Properties -> Customize tab -> "Also apply this template to all subfolders". This creates the "Inherit" key. But it only has a value for FolderType, and that simply refers back to whatever defaults you've set for each folder template via "Apply to folders"

Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders [​IMG]

But Explorer looks for more. It looks for an Inherit key under the GUID key. This is from a Procmon log:

16:08:42.2022498 Explorer.EXE 4444 RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\55\Shell\{5C4F28B5-F869-4E84-8E60-F11DB97C5CC7}\Inherit NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read

But if you create that key, Explorer will look for all same values in a saved view.

Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders [​IMG]

Keith

KeithM, May 19, 2022
  3. apply list view to only all subfolders

How do I apply a view, specifically the "list" view, to only all of the subfolders of a folder without changing each one individually.

Jerry Delacruz, May 19, 2022
  4. TomStrong Win User

Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

Folder view issue

I want my folders (and subfolders) to stay in List view but they keep changing to Details view.

I have tried View>Options>Apply to Folders many times but it doesn't stick.

Any suggestions?

TomStrong, May 19, 2022
Thema:

Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

1. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders - Similar Threads - Customize folder view

2. Changing folder view of multiple folders and subfolders not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing folder view of multiple folders and subfolders not working: I have a bunch of folders that are setup in the following way:Main folder >subfolder >subfolder >file.jpg >file.jpg >file.jpg >subfolder >subfolder >file.jpg >file.jpg >file.jpgEtc.I am trying to get window to show the folders with the jpg files as picture folders. When I try...
  3. Changing folder view of multiple folders and subfolders not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing folder view of multiple folders and subfolders not working: I have a bunch of folders that are setup in the following way:Main folder >subfolder >subfolder >file.jpg >file.jpg >file.jpg >subfolder >subfolder >file.jpg >file.jpg >file.jpgEtc.I am trying to get window to show the folders with the jpg files as picture folders. When I try...
  4. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  5. customize folder view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    customize folder view: There are 5 templates for kinds of folders. Can this be changed or added to? For example, can I add/subtract columns to the Music template and keep that template to be applied to other folders containing music files....
  6. Apply folder columns to all subfolders and a backup

in Windows 10 Support
    Apply folder columns to all subfolders and a backup: I'd like to have my music albums and movies in folders with 8-10 columns for every folder, like 500 folders with sub-sub-sub folders if you know what I mean. I need to apply manually these 8-10 columns for each folder I want to have it the way I want, and then if something...
  7. How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders?: Hello, I have a top-level parent folder "Team Reports". In this folder there are a few files, and many subfolders. In this parent view, I have added "Authors" to the file properties in the right hand pane. (The subfolders contain the same file types as are contained in the...
  8. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  9. apply list view to only all subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    apply list view to only all subfolders: How do I apply a view, specifically the "list" view, to only all of the subfolders of a folder without changing each one individually. 36806
  10. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...