Windows 10: Customized Start Menu Icon Missing

Discus and support Customized Start Menu Icon Missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We have a customized start menu pushed out via group policy. Our machines are also built via Audit mode and sysprep so very "cookie cutter" We have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by techmerlin, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Customized Start Menu Icon Missing

We have a customized start menu pushed out via group policy. Our machines are also built via Audit mode and sysprep so very "cookie cutter"
    We have one user who reported after an application crash they rebooted the machine and now one of the icons from the pushed start menu has disappeared. We tested forcing a GP Update and also removing the local copy of the profile in hopes it would push back down, but no change.

I have tested another user, same machine and got the same results and tested this user on another machine and no issues so I do have reasonable belief it is machine based.

I have tested removing the machine from the domain and re-adding it and no change. I felt at one point perhaps the DLL for the icon but the tile appears empty and not just a visual lack of icon, clicking the blank tile does nothing.
    The user reported they got "some error" what I am guessing to be the path no longer is valid when they were disconnected from the network (physical cable issue) and may have chosen to remove the icon, but don't understand why the policy would not have replaced it.

I have also tested changing the modified date on the XML file on the domain in hopes the OS would see the difference and pull down a new copy, but this also made no difference.

Anyone seen this before?

:)

techmerlin, Apr 20, 2016
  2. noko59 Win User

How to increase the number of recent items in Windows 10 Pro start menu?

This is a very useful missing feature. Depending upon project and normal multi-application approach the current configuration is too limiting.

One does not always want to place 50+ programs in the tile section and also needing to update that section on what is being done but that is an option. Either use a custom start menu like Start 10 or customize tile section with custom layouts and with sometimes
    temporary program icons.

noko59, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Asp2017 Win User
    Correct Software Icons Missing

It was already unchecked. My problem is my icons for my installed softwares are missing in the control panel and in the start menu. I think i had deleted a cache of it while before because all the softwares I installed later on have Icons perfect everywhere.
    But some early essentials i had installed such as silverlight and internet information services , there icons are missing everywhere including control panel and the start menu. Although there is a solution if i find icons online and customize but this isnt
    a smart way. Can you suggest me solution.

I have been looking for similar threads and tried solutions suggested in them but haven't worked out any for me.

Asp2017, Apr 20, 2016
Thema:

Customized Start Menu Icon Missing

1. Customized Start Menu Icon Missing - Similar Threads - Customized Start Menu

2. Start menu icons missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu icons missing: When I search for a program in the start menu, the icons for those programs appear broken, a paper icon. Only programs installed on external hard drive have this issue and not programs installed on C drive....
  3. Missing icons in Start Menu search for custom link

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing icons in Start Menu search for custom link: Hello, I use multiple profiles with my Firefox browser so I created multiple links to the firefox.exe and appending "-P <profileName>" to it. It works fine, but when using the Start Menu search there are no icons. In the following screenshots you can see the search results...
  4. Missing icons in Start Menu

Missing icons in Start Menu: We use VMWare Dynamic Environment Manager to push our shortcuts to the user's Start Menu. This works fine for 99,9% but sometimes icons are just not shown. It is visible when navigating to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it is just not visible when clicking...
  5. Start Menu Icons - Missing

Start Menu Icons - Missing: Ok this is clearly an ongoing problem that Microsft are failing to address, but it needs to be aired. So for ages I have had an issue with or one or two menu icons vanishing from some programs, Google Chrome being the longest running one. But this question is not about any...
  6. Missing Start Menu icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Start Menu icons.: A lot of my Start Menu icons have recently disappeared. Both tiles and "All Apps" entries. The missing items range from games to Windows features. For example "Windows Accessories" only has three items listed and "Windows Administrative Tools" is missing altogether. The only...
  7. Start Menu - Missing Customization Menu / Personalize

Start Menu - Missing Customization Menu / Personalize: I hope this hasn't been already asked. I'm trying to get my "Start Menu" to look similar to the below right image. I've read tutorials and I simply do not have or can not find the "Customize Start Menu" dialogue box. I am currently running the final release of Windows 10...
  8. Start Menu Custom Icons?

Start Menu Custom Icons?: Is it possible to swap out the default icon with custom one? I use to use a app called OblyTile within Windows 8 and would swap out my icons with custom ones. Is there anyway to do this in W10? Thanks. 9689
  9. Start Menu Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Missing: Hi, I searched for this problem in the forum but must of the replies apply to Windows or Desktop icons missing. I'm including an image which I think it explains the problem better As you can see, the menu on the right has three icons (circled in red) that are missing from...
  10. Taskbar "start menu" customization tab missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar "start menu" customization tab missing: Right click empty part of taskbar, go to "properties". I have 3 tabs. Taskbar, navigation, and toolbars. According to several sites I have read, I should also have a "start menu" tab with a "customization" button to change some things on the left side of the start menu, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. customised start menu chrome icon missing