Windows 10: Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances)

Discus and support Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I want to customize the icon of a certain program (in this case Firefox). There are many instructions on how to supposedly achieve this by e.g. simply... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimhoyle, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances)

I want to customize the icon of a certain program (in this case Firefox). There are many instructions on how to supposedly achieve this by e.g. simply going to any shortcut (in Explorer or Desktop), Properties, Change Icon. Then pinning this shortcut to taskbar puts the customized icon there. But as soon as you click that icon, it loads a new instance and the new instance has the "real" icon. And the customized icon just sits there taking up space. I have no idea why Microsoft has intended it like that, it makes no sense to me.

Is there some way to change the icon so that all instances of the program show the customized icon?

I tried Resource Hacker. I remember I've been successful with that many years ago with some program. However, for Firefox, there is some problem. It seems that all programs have a different set of icons. Like 16, 256, 16.8M color icons, different sizes etc. For Firefox, I'm not sure if I'm creating exactly the right kind of .ico group icon. Whatever the reason is, if I replace the icons with Resource Hacker, Firefox won't launch anymore (nothing happens).

:)

jimhoyle, Oct 2, 2018
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 2, 2018
  3. can't open new instances of an application from taskbar

I have any program open. I right click the shortcut for it in the taskbar and a list of option comes out. But then when i try to open another instance of the program from that list by clicking on the option with the icon and program name, nothing happens.
    How do I make it so that it opens another instance instead of doing nothing?

sasuke10125, Oct 2, 2018
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z Program Icon Submission

Suggestion to have an option to change Notification Area icon this way too.
    Suggestion to finally have proper separate Options window like most (all?) Windows programs do.

Naki, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances) - Similar Threads - Customizing program's taskbar

2. how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar: subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icons-and-customize-the-icons-in/6f2f0f3b-9b73-49df-9126-4ee98e445cdd
  3. how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar: subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icons-and-customize-the-icons-in/6f2f0f3b-9b73-49df-9126-4ee98e445cdd
  4. Custom Icons Not Applying Properly on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Icons Not Applying Properly on Taskbar: I'm in the middle of customizing my PC and I tried to apply some custom .ico files to my pinned taskbar shortcuts by following this guide: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/change-taskbar-icons-programs-windows-10/ and only 2 of the icons the first and last are applying custom...
  5. Is there a way to customize the system taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to customize the system taskbar icons?: Like the start button, battery, Wi-Fi and so on. I've discovered how to change the time, but as far as I'm aware there's no way to change the others. I'm not talking about hiding icons, or changing program icons, but actually changing the way the system's icons look....
  6. Custom icons not showing on the Taskbar

Custom icons not showing on the Taskbar: I got some custom icons for the standard windows apps, as well as many of my own apps, when I switch the icons out, they show perfectly fine on the desktop but the standard windows apps, as well as iTunes all show the standard icon in the taskbar. Is there any way to fix...
  7. Taskbar pinned program Icon display single instance wrong Icon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar pinned program Icon display single instance wrong Icon.: Here is what I hoped for. A pinned program when clicked just gets underlined and when moused over shows windows active. It does not replicate it self filling the task bar. The shortcut settings pass any parameters to the program when started. I have read a lot about this and...
  8. Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program: Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and have had a problem with Windows 10 for a week or so now. Usually, when I hovered over a taskbar symbol and the program had multiple instances opened, I got a preview of all of these instances next to each other. Somehow, this...
  9. Correct resolution for custom taskbar icons.

Correct resolution for custom taskbar icons.: I am trying to customize my taskbar and start menu. I've set all start menu icons to white and so far its working good. But i am having trouble with taskbar icons. As you can see in screenshot, the icons on the taskbar are not looking that good. I have made .ico's with...
  10. No program icons on taskbar appearing

in Windows 10 Support
    No program icons on taskbar appearing: So I just upgraded my grandma's laptop to Win 10 for her. Now, when I open any app, no taskbar icon is placed on the taskbar. I could have 5 apps open and the only thing on the taskbar are the start button, cortana search bar and the task view button. Any ideas why this is...