Windows 10: Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Discus and support Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LNS, Jun 21, 2020.

1. LNS
    LNS Win User

Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Hi,

I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin account. So when creating an image I can install Windows, boot to audit mode, customize, generalize then capture the image. What's not clear to me is, what's the different between customizing in audit mode, vs going through OOBE, then customizing from a specific user account, then generalizing and capturing master image. Why would you choose to do the customization in audit mode as opposed to from a specific account you create after first pass through OOBE? I know there must be some important differences but can't find anything obvious to say why customizing in a specific user is not a good idea. Why do I need audit mode?

Thanks!

:)

2. LNS
    LNS Win User

Hi,

I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin account. So when creating an image I can install Windows, boot to audit mode, customize, generalize then capture the image. What's not clear to me is, what's the different between customizing in audit mode, vs going through OOBE, then customizing from a specific user account, then generalizing and capturing master image. Why would you choose to do the customization in audit mode as opposed to from a specific account you create after first pass through OOBE? I know there must be some important differences but can't find anything obvious to say why customizing in a specific user is not a good idea. Why do I need audit mode?

Thanks!

3. Kari Win User
    Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Just a few pointers:
    • You can always boot to Audit Mode even after the OOBE, command is
      %windir%\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
    • When rebooted to Audit Mode and if you like to re-customize the default user profile, it will only affect all future user accounts but does not affect existing ones already present when you booted to Audit Mode. You can of course remove all existing user accounts if necessary before sysprepping
    • If rebooted to Audit Mode and existing user accounts are kept, you cannot use those usernames when back in OOBE after sysprepping. To create the initial user in OOBE you can for example simply create a dummy local user, let Windows finish the OOBE and boot to this dummy's desktop, sign out and sign in to your original admin account and remove the dummy account
    • Sysprepping an upgraded Windows is of course possible and only needs a key and a DWORD deleted in the registry and changing the value of two DWORDs. Instructions in this tutorial: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, scroll down to the last part named Upgrade and its Step 2

4. Katrin Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Hi,

I have the same Problem like CanadianGooses with the Search-Bar using the LTSB-Release and the audit-mode.

(Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Page 32 - Windows 10 Forums)

But only, if the image is deployed as a part of a iso-file. How do you deploy your wim-file? Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks und greetings from Germany - .

Katrin, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE - Similar Threads - Customizing image Audit

2. OOBE Loop leading to Audit Mode screen of death

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OOBE Loop leading to Audit Mode screen of death: So my company provided me a new Lenovo Yoga laptop, but accidentally ordered it with 10 Home instead of Pro. After some wrangling with an ISO of Pro that we had on hand, I was upgrading my computer only to run into the OOBE Loop. I tried detaching all peripherals, disabling...
  3. Audit mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audit mode: How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4
  4. Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode

Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode: I am creating a new image for my company from a clean Windows 10 installation, and I want to use Audit Mode to set up the default profile. One of the programs we are required to have on all computers is Symantec Endpoint Protection which is pushed out as a remote...
  5. Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE: IT, trying to create a backup image using macrium although my issues are just for sysprep, At the moment i am just trying to figure things out, so I am installing windows 10 education on SSD (computer has a ssd and a hardrive) then boot into windows and on the first screen...
  6. Audit Customizations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  7. Audit Customizations

Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  8. Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode

Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode: I customized my Windows 10 in Audit Mode and created a answer file by the Windows System Image Manager. CopyProfile in the answer file is set on true In the customization I removed the Edge browser Icon and the Windows Store from the Task bar. I know that pinned Icons at...
  9. Audit Mode going into OOBE

Audit Mode going into OOBE: Hello all, Why is it that when I am in audit mode and I set my .theme package, I then OOBE out, and it deletes the theme that I installed? Do I need to add the theme to an unattended XML file? 78210
  10. Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep: How to: Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep [img] Information First a quote from Microsoft TechNet: Understanding Audit Mode: When Windows boots first time, the computer can start in one of the following two modes: .methodtop { margin: 8px...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. softpedia Audit OOBE