Windows 10: Customizing layout.xml then sysprep doesn't work

Discus and support Customizing layout.xml then sysprep doesn't work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, Is anyone experiencing a similar issue when attempting to add shortcuts to the taskbar after sysprep that the start menu exported (in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Janothin, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Janothin Win User

Customizing layout.xml then sysprep doesn't work

Hello all,

Is anyone experiencing a similar issue when attempting to add shortcuts to the taskbar after sysprep that the start menu exported (in this case: layout.xml) seems to revert and doesn't take affect?

I am having this issue on 1809 and 1903.

:)

Janothin, Aug 20, 2019
  2. nugen Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Thank you! *Biggrin

nugen, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Step 1: Pin that app to Start:

Customizing layout.xml then sysprep doesn't work [​IMG]

Step 2: Export Start layout to an XML file:

Step 3: Open XML in any text editor, search for your app, note the ID string:

In this case now the AppID for Solitaire had been Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

Step 4: Unpin app from Start and its entry from XML if no longer needed.

4. djolson Win User

Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep

I work in a school district and have started testing Windows 10 and making images. The problem I am having is that after setting the computer up and sysprepping it to be deployed on other computers, when I put it on another computer the search function and cortana don't work at all. I can see the search at the bottom left, but clicking on it does nothing. The start menu works fine (I have seen posts where someones start menu does't work in conjunction with the search not working). It is just the search function that will not work. Below are the steps I use to customize the computer...

1. Install Windows 10 from cd
    2. Enter Audit mode with CTRL + SHIFT + F3 after installation to customize
    3. Customize the computer the way I want it
    4. Sysprep the computer (sysprepe.exe /oobe /shutdown /generalize /unattend:myunattendfile)
    5. Capture the image.

I have done this two different times now (full installs and customized), and both times the search function is broken after putting the image on a computer. I do not even see cortana listed anywhere in the C:\Programfiles\WindowsApps. I have tried running the suggested command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml"}" and it doesn;t fix the search function. Windows key + S doesn't do anything either. Has anyone experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Dustin

djolson, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Customizing layout.xml then sysprep doesn't work - Similar Threads - Customizing layout xml

2. Custom keyboard layout no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom keyboard layout no longer working: I have a custom keyboard layout that I created through Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator for typing in the Esperanto language, using Alt Gr + Ctrl to access some characters.This was working until recently, but the Alt Gr + Ctrl no longer functions. I have tested the buttons...
  3. Custom keyboard layout no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom keyboard layout no longer working: I have a custom keyboard layout that I created through Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator for typing in the Esperanto language, using Alt Gr + Ctrl to access some characters.This was working until recently, but the Alt Gr + Ctrl no longer functions. I have tested the buttons...
  4. Sysprep is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sysprep is not working: Either Sysprep is not working or the documentation is lying. It is my understanding that what ever I do during SysPrep will carry over to all new user account created from now on.This is not what is happening.I set it up like I want, SysPrep it, and then test. BEHOLD. The...
  5. Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly

Custom keyboard layout stops working randomly: I created a custom US QWERTZ keyboard layout using Microsoft Layout Keyboard Creator. It's the US layout with the Z and Y keys swapped. I successfully managed to create and install it, the problem arises when I try to use it. When I use it for some time let's say a few hours...
  6. Sysprep - Custom Taskbar/Start-Menu XML Not Applying

in Windows 10 Support
    Sysprep - Custom Taskbar/Start-Menu XML Not Applying: Hey everyone! For the past couple days, I've been trying to create a (new) custom Windows 10 Image. Everything's been going great so far, with using Audit Mode, installing all the applications, creating the WinPE ISO and deploying the .WIM file. Everything applies without any...
  7. Keyboard language selection shortcut doesn't work for custom layout

Keyboard language selection shortcut doesn't work for custom layout: I'm using a custom layout that I created with MSKLC EN-US QWERTY with an extra layer on Alt+Gr, as well as the standard Russian layout. I want to be able to switch between them using a keyboard shortcut, but I can't use the standard Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift because of other...
  8. Custom keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom keyboard layout?: Does anyone know of an easy way to make a custom keyboard layout for windows 10? When searching, I've seen that Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 has limited compatibility with Windows 10, but it's no longer available for download as far as I've seen. Any good...
  9. Sysprep .xml lost default programs windows 1909

in Windows 10 Support
    Sysprep .xml lost default programs windows 1909: after sysprep with xml lost default programs: before sysprep [img] after sysprep [img] xml validate no error [img] 146902
  10. CopyProfile XML for Start layout

CopyProfile XML for Start layout: Has anyone managed to get customize the start menu and then copying that customization in the default user by using the CopyProfile method? Link: Start layout for Windows 10 desktop editions - Windows 10 hardware dev Moreover, has anyone successfully deployed this via SCCM...