Windows 10: Customizing system icons and navigation pane

Discus and support Customizing system icons and navigation pane in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've got two small issues that are that get me really nitpicky when I'm reminded of them. I was hoping you could help me with those.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PsyCoil, Apr 16, 2016.

1. PsyCoil Win User

Customizing system icons and navigation pane

Hi everyone,
    I've got two small issues that are that get me really nitpicky when I'm reminded of them. I was hoping you could help me with those.

So the first one is I'd like to customize system icons. Before the upgrade from Windows 7 I had IconPackger which was fantastic, but unfortunately does not change the icons on Windows 10.

Next small issue I'd like to change the sorting order in the navigation pane. After playing with all sort of registry files, it's got a little messy.

Customizing system icons and navigation pane [​IMG]

What I'd really like to do is bring the Libraries icon down below OneDrive. Also, ever since the upgrade the Homegroup icon isn't there anymore even though the service is active.

Have a great day everyone *Biggrin

:)

PsyCoil, Apr 16, 2016
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 16, 2016
  3. GjArts Win User
    GjArts, Apr 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I use Icon Changer by Anolis, which replaces 77 icons in imageres.dll with Win 7 icons.
    However, although it's supposed to replace the file with one click, I've found I've had to substitute the patched file manually.

Thus I have Win 7's recycle bin, drive icons and folder style in most significant places.

(And I use Classic Shell with an Orb as Start menu icon).

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  5. PsyCoil Win User
    Mhm... No no, I don't want to replace them with Win 7 icons. I want to replace them with my own icons.
    Is there a program similar to IconPackager for Windows 10?

Also found this post here: Rearranging items in Windows 8.1 Navigation pane - Super User
    The folder does exist in REGEDIT but the key SortOrderIndex does not. Maybe it's in another place in Win 10?

PsyCoil, Apr 16, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    You will lose icons where system files are patched
    a. on each major build upgrade (next this summer)
    b. if you need to do an in-place upgrade repair install (uses Windows install procedure).

Icon Changer includes a resource pack of ico files, which means you can create your own set.
    Damian's Homepage
    "Icon Changer is a little program to change the damn ugly icons in Windows 10.
    It supports multiple icon looks, just add them to the folder, select it in the dropdown, and press patch."

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  7. PsyCoil Win User
    Alright, I'll try this one.
    What about the navigation pane? Is there any way to sort it?

PsyCoil, Apr 19, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Well, Winaero's tweaker (worth having) offers a little customisation, but not what you want I think.

dalchina, Apr 21, 2016
  9. PsyCoil Win User
    Yes, that did what I wanted. Thank you, useful program.
    However, the Homegroup icon still isn't there...

PsyCoil, Apr 22, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Customizing system icons and navigation pane - Similar Threads - Customizing system icons

2. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  3. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  4. Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation Pane.: What's going on with this update? I only updated because it forced me to.My OCD can't take this ****.How do I remove this? I can't for some reason revert back to the previous version Also if someone can tell me how to stop updates from occurring ever....
  5. Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigation Pane.: What's going on with this update? I only updated because it forced me to.My OCD can't take this ****.How do I remove this? I can't for some reason revert back to the previous version Also if someone can tell me how to stop updates from occurring ever....
  6. Help Customizing This PC, Navigation Pane, and Control Panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help Customizing This PC, Navigation Pane, and Control Panel: Good morning. I want to customize 64-bit Windows 10 This PC, This PC right-click menu, File Explorer Navigation Pane, and Control Panel by adding custom applets/shortcuts/folders. I modified registry files available from @Brink tutorials and uploaded as files to avoid a...
  7. add custom shortcuts to navigation pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    add custom shortcuts to navigation pane: hello is there a way to adding custom files shortcut (not folders shortcut) to navigation pane? for example i want to add a shourtcut from explorer.exe to my navigatin pane.i knew about adding custom folders or control panel items to navigation pane,but my question is about...
  8. navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    navigation pane: where do I control the navigation pane in w10 113744
  9. Navigation Pane Icon Size

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane Icon Size: Is there a way to increase the size of the drive and/or folder icons in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer? It's easy to change the icon size in the folder pane or on the desktop, but these changes don't seem to affect the icons in the navigation pane of Explorer. I have...
  10. Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane: Can anyone tell me how to get the folders in the navigation pane of file explorer to expand to show the sub folders. If I right click the folder, 'Expand' is greyed out. This has only happened since the AU. Thank you 64888