Windows 10: Cut/Copy/Paste stops working except pure text

Discus and support Cut/Copy/Paste stops working except pure text in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I find that I can copy text within Notepad, Notepad++, etc. just fine. However, in most other programs, cut/copy/paste just does not work. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ruthie Rayne, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Cut/Copy/Paste stops working except pure text

I find that I can copy text within Notepad, Notepad++, etc. just fine. However, in most other programs, cut/copy/paste just does not work. This includes the address bar in Firefox/Chrome/Edge, etc. It's the same whether I use ctrl+x/ctrl+c/ctrl+v, right click, or use the menu. One thing solved the problem for about two months, and that was a restart. Then it started again. From another forum post, I tried restarting Windows Explorer through the task manager. This worked the first time I tried it for all of 5 minutes, but does not work anymore. Sometimes I need to be able to cut/copy/paste but can't restart at that moment. Is there anything else I can try? Does anyone know what causes this? Thanks!

:)

Ruthie Rayne, Dec 6, 2017
  2. TomBrad95 Win User

Cut & Paste

You can't cut and paste but you can copy and paste, simply select the text you want to copy by pressing the text in the centre of the word then press the copy button afterwards press the paste button to paste it in.

TomBrad95, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Keyboard Keys not properly working

Original Title: Ctrl + V and Ctrl + C not working

I have an Acer laptop that runs Windows 10 and suddenly, the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V doesn't work anymore. Cutting and Selecting all text works but just copy and pasting has stopped and this is on all applications.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix it? Because using the mouse to copy and paste is really frustrating.

ZulaikhahMahmood, Dec 6, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Cut/Copy/Paste stops working except pure text

Your variation on the problem is both interesting and vexing. Don't see many reports online of the Ctrl-C/X/V and equivalent menu commands working with text apps but not in other apps. All I can think of is to try launching another instance of the problem application (this will work for some, but not all, applications because some don't permit multiple instances to run in parallel). Another possible workaround would be to launch a Virtual Machine and see if the cut'n'paste functionality works in that runtime environment.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 6, 2017
Thema:

Cut/Copy/Paste stops working except pure text

1. Cut/Copy/Paste stops working except pure text - Similar Threads - Cut Copy Paste

2. Cut, Copy, and Paste not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cut, Copy, and Paste not working: Asking a question about my son's Lenovo laptop. Cut, Copy, and paste not working. Other hotkey combos that I know appear to be working correctly. This is an issue in Google docs, Word, Notepad, and other programs. I can access his clipboard with CTRL + V and see the...
  3. Copy & Paste not working correctly it pastes a previous copied text

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy & Paste not working correctly it pastes a previous copied text: This is very annoying! I could fairly say that 1/3 of the time Copy & Paste are not working correctly. It pastes a previous copied text. I did a reboot and i tried several copy/paste methods and it's still doing it. It's been like this for the past 4 days. Let's say...
  4. copy, cut and paste not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy, cut and paste not working: No matter what I try to do, I can't manipulate folders by cut, copy and paste. It is this way on the desktop, windows explorer and all programs. So far I have reset Windows 10, did a bare metal install of windows 10, and it will still not work. This last time, right after...
  5. Copy Paste Arabic Text

Copy Paste Arabic Text: HI Team, after the recent update of windows 10 , if i am trying to copy pate arabic text it gets shifted to be ?????????? any suggestions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-paste-arabic-text/487f45c7-5f07-43fb-8a55-24e4bf91aa0e
  6. Copy and paste stopped working.

Copy and paste stopped working.: How do I restore copy and paste? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-and-paste-stopped-working/c71b8ed0-25c4-4cf9-926c-7833021c0eb1
  7. cut or copy and paste

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cut or copy and paste: I use to be able to cut and paste by highlighting and right clicking. Now I can highlight but when I right click this option is no longer available. What happened to my cut, copy and paste and how can I get them back?...
  8. cut copy paste

in Windows 10 Support
    cut copy paste: Before update 14383 I used my mouse for cut. copy, paste. After this update that disappeared. Why 55859
  9. Cut or Copy and Paste

in Windows 10 Support
    Cut or Copy and Paste: How do you copy or paste from one document to another in Windows 10? Thanks. 48387
  10. File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working: Hi there, I need some help seeing at MS Support could not solve the problem. When trying to copy and paste a file from File Explorer (or Desktop), my "Paste" operations remains disabled. As if the copy operation never actually copied the file. I also noticed that when I...