Windows 10: D drive installations instead of C drive

Discus and support D drive installations instead of C drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Corona, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Corona Win User

D drive installations instead of C drive

During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue comes up before installing. I hate that. I want to beat it with a stick.

I want my C drive (256GB Toshiba NVMe) to be pure as the wind-driven snow. I'm not picky, I'm just fussy. I don't mind so much when apps install mostly on the D drive but leave a bit of whatever on the C drive, like Common Files & such. But Some apps just dump the whole kit and kaboodle on the C drive.

Is there a way to install those particular apps directly to my D drive without getting extremely Registry/rocket science intense?

:)

Corona, Jan 1, 2019
  2. niko084 Win User

Windows drive labeled ad D: instead of C:

That doesn't work very well, some software/drivers will NOT install to any drive but the C drive because the person who compiled them was an idiot *Smile D drive installations instead of C drive :)

niko084, Jan 1, 2019
  3. DJMundo Win User
    Can I update my phone on my D drive instead of my C drive?

Can I update my phone on my D drive instead of my C drive? I have no room on C, more than enough on D.

DJMundo, Jan 1, 2019
  4. D drive installations instead of C drive

No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

D drive installations instead of C drive

1. D drive installations instead of C drive - Similar Threads - drive installations instead

2. How to setting up virtual memory in D drive instead of C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to setting up virtual memory in D drive instead of C drive?: I have two drives in my computer, C drive and D drive. I would like to set up virtual memory in my D drive because the free storage is larger than my C drive. However, my system still uses my C drive. Are there any method to free up my C drive and use my D drive for virtual...
  3. Merging the C drive with the D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging the C drive with the D drive: I have been trying to merge my drives and searching up how to do it. I have come to an area where I can't go any further. I have allocated space on my D drive by shrinking it. I have unallocated space on the d drive but when I try to extend my C drive it is grayed out. Is...
  4. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  5. Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.: Yesterday I purchased the Xbox Game pass ultimate for PC. I only have the option to install games onto my C drive, but there's not enough space on it. Whenever I try to install games on my D drive it states, "This location isn't set up for installing games.Set it as your...
  6. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  7. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  8. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  9. App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.

App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.: I am attempting to download the most current Nox Player app to my Windows 10 PC but it keeps attempting the download to my D drive instead of my C drive. I do not have the room on my D drive for the download. I am unable to get it to download to my C drive. My computer...
  10. C Drive vs. D Drive

C Drive vs. D Drive: Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway. Thanks for any help!...