Windows 10: \D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot.

Discus and support \D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Need help. I used to use two different HDD in Raid 0. I removed both drives and switch to one large HDD for my storage drive. Now, every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lkifer, Apr 17, 2021.

1. lkifer Win User

\D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot.

Need help. I used to use two different HDD in Raid 0. I removed both drives and switch to one large HDD for my storage drive. Now, every time I reboot, the D drive loses it letter and disappears. I have to open Disk Management and reassign the drive letter. This drive is my storage drive, not my boot drive. so far, I've done the following.

1. replace my sata cables.

2. used different power cables

3. replaced the HDD with a SSD

4. check for updates for my chipset and controllers

5. check for update for my SSD

I'm at a loss. Yes i know i can reassign the drive letter, but i shouldn't have to every time i reboot. That's called broken. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

lkifer, Apr 17, 2021
  2. knute97 Win User

Power Outage or Reboot Resets Drive Letters

Thank you for the reply, but I would like some clarification on the suggested solution(s).

In running diskpart, I typed "LIST VOLUME" as suggested by Rover85. I noted that my D: drive is listed as volume 8 and my E: drive is volume 9.

Do I then continue in diskpart with Gavin Adams answer of 1/27/2013 with the following script?

LIST VOLUME

SELECT VOLUME 8 (and/or 9)

ATTRIBUTES VOLUME CLEAR HIDDEN

EXIT

And this will assign the appropriate drive letter on reboot?

The one thing that bothers me is that my first try after reboot with Computer Management/Disk Management would not connect to the "Virtual Disk Service" until I did a second reboot.

knute97, Apr 17, 2021
  3. knute97 Win User
    Power Outage or Reboot Resets Drive Letters

I have 2 external USB drives that were originally configured as D: and E: under W8 (F: was used by HP as the Factory Image).

Since I have upgraded to W10, whenever I reboot or have a power outage, the drive letters are reassigned to E: and L:. This gives me multiple problems with backup configurations, program paths, etc. Also, when the system reboots, the real time clock is
    invariably wrong.

Trying to reset the drive letters thru Disk Management requires 2-3 reboots since initially there is no connection to the "Virtual Disk Service", then the drive letter D: is not available as a choice, and finally on the 3rd restart, I am able to reset the
    drive letters. The clock never resets to real time without my adjustment.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop this problem?

knute97, Apr 17, 2021
  4. \D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot.

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hello Andre: I followed the instructions carefully and this is what this process amounted to. I followed this step by step.

Press Windows key + X - Worked fine

Click Disk Management - Worked fine

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it -
    All my drives showed up with there drive letters. When I clicked on the drive - Local Disk (D) (I\D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot. :). The panel came up " change drive letter and path.

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths - for local disk (D)" and in the panel it said "Allow access to this volume by using the following drive letter and paths". In
    the panel that shows up it shows a drive icon and the letter I: . Below this are the options to ADD, CHANGE and REMOVE.

Click Add - When I click the ADD button a new panel comes up and the only option allowed is "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder". When I enter the letter D:
    ( the drive letter I'm trying to get too) and click on the OK button it opens a new panel comes up and tells me "The device is not ready".

Click Assign the following drive letter - I then go back a few panels and select CHANGE, this time the same panel opens up but this time the other option is locked
    in as my only choice - "Assign the following drive letter". I enter D: again and in the pull down menu the letter D is not available for me to choose.

Click in the Drive letter list box - Then I go back to the previous panel and select REMOVE, now the new panel tells me "Some of the programs you rely on drive letters
    might not respond correctly. Are you sure you want to remove this drive letter. I did not proceed as I've done this before and it does remove the drive letter I: but the in Disk Management the now D: dive is no longer accessible.

So now I have explored all three options that were presented when I right clicked on the "Click Change Drive Letter and Paths" In the end I was not able to remove the drive letters I and J from disk management

Thanks very much for the assistance, do you have any other suggestions I can use to correct this issue? I thought I might try deleting the D letter leaving the drive letter I, then going back in and try changing that
    drive letter back to D done in two separate steps??? Bill

billmasonismad, Apr 17, 2021
Thema:

\D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot.

1. \D: drive loses its letter every time after reboot. - Similar Threads - drive loses letter

2. USB losing drive letter after each removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB losing drive letter after each removal: Hey all:So, this issue has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days. I have a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0/2.0 flash drive. I wanted to change the OS of a PC I have permanently plugged in my TV from Windows 11 to a lighter, Linux distro. I chose Solus Budgie...
  3. USB losing drive letter after each removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB losing drive letter after each removal: Hey all:So, this issue has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days. I have a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0/2.0 flash drive. I wanted to change the OS of a PC I have permanently plugged in my TV from Windows 11 to a lighter, Linux distro. I chose Solus Budgie...
  4. Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 reassigns drive letter on every reboot: For decades now I've been using USB ports on Windows computers to mount portable disk drives. While they are portable i.e., can be easily mounted on other computers they tend to remain on a given computer somewhat permanently. There are lots of reasons why it is desirable...
  5. Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker keeps locking secondary D: drive after every reboot: I am having a very frustrating issue with windows 10, and thought I would see if anyone here could help. I have a 2018 Dell G5 15 gaming laptop, and the other night I swapped out the 250gb solid state C: drive with a 1TB samsung NVMe drive. Before the swap, I created a...
  6. Losing the drive letter on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing the drive letter on drive: I have a WD Elements 2TB drive and my computer will not hold the designated drive letter, I can give it the drive letter E but each time I close down and restart I have to give it the drive letter again. Any help would be appreciated Harry...
  7. Why does my second monitor lose its default resolution on every reboot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does my second monitor lose its default resolution on every reboot.: This is supper annoying. Every time my windows machine is rebooted one of my monitors looses its default resolution of 1600 x 900. The only solution is to shutdown the pc and unplug the monitor and then boot back up and plug the monitor in again to get the correct resolution....
  8. Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update: Hey, my drive letter swapped after automatic update in Windows 10. Because of that, i can't boot into windows safe mode too. Everytime I turn on my laptop, it's always tries to troubleshoot and do startup repair but it didn't work. I've tried to change back the drive letter...
  9. Losing Bluetooth Drivers with every reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Losing Bluetooth Drivers with every reboot: I have an Acer laptop running Win 10. Lately, I've been noticing that there is no bluetooth button in my task bar. So I go through "fix bluetooth" windows process & it reinstalls the drivers. I can then use bluetooth. But I keep having to do this over every time it seems. I...
  10. Losing Bluetooth Drivers with every reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing Bluetooth Drivers with every reboot: I have an Acer laptop running Win 10. Lately, I've been noticing that there is no bluetooth button in my task bar. So I go through "fix bluetooth" windows process & it reinstalls the drivers. I can then use bluetooth. But I keep having to do this over every time it seems. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. drive showing after reboot