Windows 10: D drive not connecting

Discus and support D drive not connecting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] All of a sudden my D drive is not connecting. It is an integral SD Card which apart from C is by far the most important, holding nearly all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Apr 14, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

D drive not connecting

D drive not connecting [​IMG]

All of a sudden my D drive is not connecting. It is an integral SD Card which apart from C is by far the most important, holding nearly all my apps and programs, and more . It is my default download location. The desktop icon has a '?' mark but nothing is indicated as wrong in Device Manager, where it is referred to as 'working properly'. It is not shown in MY PC and in a Gadget Drives Meter it is listed but shown as empty with zero usage.

I see there is a lot of advice on this site and elsewhere, but I am not clear what to try next, preferably for me a simple fix. I have tried both restarting and closing down, and refreshing apps which list connected drives such as Drives Manager. Drive Letter View (nirsoft) does not show it. I have removed and reinserted the card (the first time in four years).

I will try 'removing it and reinstalling it in Device Manager. What should I try next?

:)

clayto, Apr 14, 2019

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Naresh_K Win User

D drive not connecting

Not enough space on Recovery (DD drive not connecting :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DD drive not connecting :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

D drive not connecting

1. D drive not connecting - Similar Threads - drive connecting

2. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?: My latest windows update got corrupted, leaving me unable to get past the login screen without bluescreening. At first I thought it was RAM Failure but my technician diagnosed it as an OS issue. Last time this happened on Windows 11, prompting me to reinstall on Windows...
  3. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?: My latest windows update got corrupted, leaving me unable to get past the login screen without bluescreening. At first I thought it was RAM Failure but my technician diagnosed it as an OS issue. Last time this happened on Windows 11, prompting me to reinstall on Windows...
  4. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Thread Exception Not Handled on Windows 11 when EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE is connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Thread Exception Not Handled on Windows 11 when EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE is connected: Hi! My laptop keeps on restarting when I connect one of my external hard drive. Upon restart it shows STOPCODE: System Thread Exception Not Handled & WHAT FAILED: Ntfs.sys . I already tried it with a different computer and it shows the same error. I also have another external...
  6. System Thread Exception Not Handled on Windows 11 when EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE is connected

System Thread Exception Not Handled on Windows 11 when EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE is connected: Hi! My laptop keeps on restarting when I connect one of my external hard drive. Upon restart it shows STOPCODE: System Thread Exception Not Handled & WHAT FAILED: Ntfs.sys . I already tried it with a different computer and it shows the same error. I also have another external...
  7. I can NEVER access my One Drive anymore. Can't get my own pictures. Says not connected to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can NEVER access my One Drive anymore. Can't get my own pictures. Says not connected to...: I can NEVER access my One Drive anymore. Can't get my own pictures. Says not connected to internet, but, ummmm, am.LG gramDevice name DESKTOP-NIOR8KIProcessor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHzInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usableDevice ID...
  8. I can NEVER access my One Drive anymore. Can't get my own pictures. Says not connected to...

I can NEVER access my One Drive anymore. Can't get my own pictures. Says not connected to...: I can NEVER access my One Drive anymore. Can't get my own pictures. Says not connected to internet, but, ummmm, am.LG gramDevice name DESKTOP-NIOR8KIProcessor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHzInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usableDevice ID...
  9. I had to change my C: drive recently and now I can't connect to my Microsoft account in the...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I had to change my C: drive recently and now I can't connect to my Microsoft account in the...: Hi,I had a small SSD that was only used to run Windows 10. It recently died on me and I had to change it. After formating the new SSD and reinstalling Windows everything is running fine except that when I try to login to my Microsoft account in the account settings I can...
  10. I had to change my C: drive recently and now I can't connect to my Microsoft account in the...

I had to change my C: drive recently and now I can't connect to my Microsoft account in the...: Hi,I had a small SSD that was only used to run Windows 10. It recently died on me and I had to change it. After formating the new SSD and reinstalling Windows everything is running fine except that when I try to login to my Microsoft account in the account settings I can...