Windows 10: D: drive on Laptop hard disk - Location Not Available after recent Windows update

Discus and support D: drive on Laptop hard disk - Location Not Available after recent Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently updated Windows 10. I store all my documents on the D: Drive on partition of laptop hard disk. Since the update in File Explorer the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robin.colin.dean, Jan 10, 2020.

1. D: drive on Laptop hard disk - Location Not Available after recent Windows update

I have recently updated Windows 10.

I store all my documents on the D: Drive on partition of laptop hard disk. Since the update in File Explorer the D: drive has a blue question mark over it - when I double click on it the egg timer comes up and does not go away. Also in Fle Explorer all the recent D: drive documents come up - when I click on them I get the Location not Available error.

When I go to CMD and type in D: it does not recognise the drive.

All aspects of the C: including the Desktop seem to be working fine.

There are a lot of posts about the Desktop disappearing and external drives being lost but I could not find any reference to a partitioned drive. Several posts suggest that it might be a faulty drive - but it was working fine before the upgrade - I suspect that a pointer or a Registry item has got corrupted.

I seem to think that this happened to me before and I managed to find the solution but HELP PLEASE

:)

robin.colin.dean, Jan 10, 2020

2. D:/ location is not available

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you.

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions.

• Is the drive “D” located in internal or external hard disk?
    • Is the drive “D” displayed in Disk Management?

Please revert with necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Laptop hard drive upgrade

If you ghost the OS from disk to disk with the same system it should work fine. Thing is you have to GHOST the disk, including the MBR or it won't be bootable. Any other normal laptop drive should work as long as the connections the same.

If you cannot make a backup install CD, you'll likely need to locate a windows install CD, unless you can ghost the drive. Thats pretty much your only options atm.

Dippyskoodlez, Jan 10, 2020
  4. D: drive on Laptop hard disk - Location Not Available after recent Windows update

Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

D: drive on Laptop hard disk - Location Not Available after recent Windows update

1. D: drive on Laptop hard disk - Location Not Available after recent Windows update - Similar Threads - drive Laptop hard

2. "Location is not available" D:\ drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Location is not available" D:\ drive: So once in a while my D:\ drive seemingly disappears from File Explorer and when I click on "Downloads" on quick access my downloads are located in the D:\ drive it gives me an error code "D:\Downloads is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or...
  3. "Location is not available" D:\ drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Location is not available" D:\ drive: So once in a while my D:\ drive seemingly disappears from File Explorer and when I click on "Downloads" on quick access my downloads are located in the D:\ drive it gives me an error code "D:\Downloads is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or...
  4. "Location is not available" D:\ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.: I was out of station for a few days and now after I came back and booted my pc it was taking too long and after boot up there was only C drive visible in My explorer my D &E drives were not there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and...
  6. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.: I was out of station for a few days and now after I came back and booted my pc it was taking too long and after boot up there was only C drive visible in My explorer my D &E drives were not there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and...
  7. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

8. Maximizing available disk space on a hard-drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Maximizing available disk space on a hard-drive.: This discussion is primarily intended to discuss: 1. Maximizing available disk space. 2. What to do with a MFG Recovery Partition and the importance of backing it up or not-should it be removed? 3. When, if ever, 3rd-party Partition Management can help. 4. When should a...
  9. hard disk drives D:

hard disk drives D:: i got pc and when i go look to hard disk my C: is full so how do i add D: because C: is the only 1 that i got on here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drives-d/903f7cfd-6fd7-44ec-af8c-5761f067c088
  10. Lost D:\ Drive after recent windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost D:\ Drive after recent windows update: Hi, my computer updated over the weekend to the latest version of Windows 10. However, my D:\ has now gone which stores all of my photographs of my daughter etc. Having carried out System Restore first, with no luck of restoring the D Drive, the current version of Windows is...