Windows 10: D: Drive Suddenly Disappeared

Discus and support D: Drive Suddenly Disappeared in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey everyone, it seems I run to some sort of a sudden problem. I'd appreciate your help! So, after some sort of Windows 10 crash, I had to restart my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Manosman, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Manosman Win User

D: Drive Suddenly Disappeared

Hey everyone, it seems I run to some sort of a sudden problem. I'd appreciate your help!

So, after some sort of Windows 10 crash, I had to restart my PC. However, I randomly noticed that my D: drive is missing! I have two drives, the C: drive which has all the drivers as well as my important documents and my Windows 10 installation and the D: drive which has other software and games.

So, I tried to check for a Windows 10 update, any driver update that could help, but there was nothing new for an update. I also restarted my PC, but that didn't help either.

I headed to Disk Manager, in the control panel and I scanned for new drives. Windows 10 recognized another drive (Drive 0) which is my D: drive, but it's not initialized. When I tried to initialize it, it popped up an error message, saying "The action could not be performed due to i/o device error.".

I also tried to use the control panel (as admin) and used the "chkdsk D: /f /r /x" line, but it said, "Cannot open volume for direct access.".

I have some important software in that drive, so I'd like not to completely format it since redownloading it would take some time and I need these things for my projects and exams these days at the university. Also, my recovery image is too old and it's only for the C: drive, so it can't help.

PS: My Windows 10 version is 1909.

:)

Manosman, Jun 7, 2020
  2. itay_373 Win User

d drive keep disappearing..

Hi,

my d drive keep disappearing,

i tried chkdsk the drive, but the process suddenly stops and d drive disapper

i really don't know what to do..

itay_373, Jun 7, 2020
  3. KR1021 Win User
    D Drive Disappeared

My D Drive just disappeared. Using Windows 10. anyone have any suggestions on how to find my disk?

I am a college student and need my drive quickly

KR1021, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Bross76 Win User

All data from Drive D:/ disappeared or is not recognized

Hello everyone

I am using a ASUS ROG laptop with two drives: a SSD "C:/" called "OS" and a HDD "D:/" called DATA.

After uninstalling 4 or 5 games from my laptop (properly, using the Applications list to uninstall), all my games, music, pictures, etc stored on drive D (DATA) suddenly looked to have disappeared. Steam is still working but all games show as uninstalled, Origin isn't even working at all anymore, all my music, videos etc can't be found and played anymore.

When trying to play a mp3 from "recent files", it says that drive D is not available and the file can't be found.

Drive D is still visible and can be opened but it appears almost empty, which shouldn't be the case. I think all my data is still there but can't be seen. I can still see all my Origin and Steam games in the Apllications list. It's like the data is not available or recognized anymore. The laptop runs fine (fast, no weird noises, no system error).

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot!

Bross76, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

1. D: Drive Suddenly Disappeared - Similar Threads - Drive Suddenly Disappeared

2. My D drive suddenly disappeared and is non-interactive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My D drive suddenly disappeared and is non-interactive: I was just doing normall processes; one steam application open via the D:// drive, laptop was in charge with next to no background processes. Suddenly, the D:// drive disappears, the application closes. No applications installed on the D drive are accessible and it does not...
  3. My D drive suddenly disappeared and is non-interactive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My D drive suddenly disappeared and is non-interactive: I was just doing normall processes; one steam application open via the D:// drive, laptop was in charge with next to no background processes. Suddenly, the D:// drive disappears, the application closes. No applications installed on the D drive are accessible and it does not...
  4. My D drive suddenly disappeared and is non-interactive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. D drive disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D drive disappeared: My Drive D on Alienware M15 laptop suddenly disappeared. It disappears every night and comes back itself the next day. But after 2 days it disappeared permanently and hasn't appeared back since the last 4 days. It all started when my drive C became full, and then the laptop...
  6. D Drive suddenly disappears

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive suddenly disappears: I have C Drive and D Drive in my laptop. I bought with both harddisks installed.Earlier this year, I updated my laptop to Windows 11, and it was the start of all problems, including a series of BSODs.Today I got the BSOD with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and after...
  7. D Drive suddenly disappears

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D Drive suddenly disappears: I have C Drive and D Drive in my laptop. I bought with both harddisks installed.Earlier this year, I updated my laptop to Windows 11, and it was the start of all problems, including a series of BSODs.Today I got the BSOD with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and after...
  8. D: drive disappeared

D: drive disappeared: I have Windows 10 Here is what happened 1. D: drive disappeared for no obvious reason 2. Shortly after that, Windows got updated 3. In the disk management window I could see that partition but it had no letter assigned and I could not assign it by right-clicking (the only...
  9. My D drive has suddenly disappeared.

My D drive has suddenly disappeared.: I was browsing around on the internet and then my computer completely froze up, so I shut it down and when I started my computer back up, the D drive was suddenly gone. It doesn't show up in File Explorer, Disk Management, Device Manager or anything. I have tried re scanning...
  10. D Drive Disappeared

D Drive Disappeared: My D Drive just disappeared. Using Windows 10. anyone have any suggestions on how to find my disk? I am a college student and need my drive quickly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-drive-disappeared/f98db626-d6ed-46bd-ae72-fca28cc344d8