Windows 10: D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data)

Discus and support D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a SSD (C drive for programs) and an HDD (D drive for documents). My HDD is circa 5 years old and until yesterday it ran without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jankie, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Jankie Win User

D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data)

Hello everyone,

I have a SSD (C drive for programs) and an HDD (D drive for documents). My HDD is circa 5 years old and until yesterday it ran without problems. It didn't even become noticeable slower for me.

Now I get the following error trying to access it:

D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data) [​IMG]

Opening Disk Management shows the drive as uninitialized and trying to initialze it fails:

I haven't done any Windows Beta updates, just the forced updates were installed, which is out of my reach D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data) :)
    My specs are as followed:

Can you guys help me out and give me some advise what I can try?
    Thank you in advance!

:)

Jankie, Nov 20, 2018

2. 100% Usage on Secondary HDD

I'm sure that isn't a problem with my HDD. I've just bought this brand new WD 4TB HDD. And on the top of this inquiry, I mentioned that something wired is that the 100% usage jumps between HDDs. It's disk E,F,G this time and it would be disk C,D or H,L next
    time after I restart.(I have 3 Secondary Hdds).

The 100% occurs only when some applications are making use of the disk, such as file copying.

donglinyang, Nov 20, 2018
  3. JLB
    JLB Win User
    Move user folder loc'n: pls confirm - pgms will store data on d:\ HDD

Dell laptop, Win10Pro, c:\ SSD 100GB, d:\ HDD 900GB

Before I follow Kari's step-by-step tutorial:

I just want someone to confirm that after I have run Kari's tutorial all (or almost all) programs will, in future, store data only on d:\ on a go-forward basis.

Thanks

4. Bross76 Win User

All data from Drive D:/ disappeared or is not recognized

Hello everyone

I am using a ASUS ROG laptop with two drives: a SSD "C:/" called "OS" and a HDD "D:/" called DATA.

After uninstalling 4 or 5 games from my laptop (properly, using the Applications list to uninstall), all my games, music, pictures, etc stored on drive D (DATA) suddenly looked to have disappeared. Steam is still working but all games show as uninstalled, Origin isn't even working at all anymore, all my music, videos etc can't be found and played anymore.

When trying to play a mp3 from "recent files", it says that drive D is not available and the file can't be found.

Drive D is still visible and can be opened but it appears almost empty, which shouldn't be the case. I think all my data is still there but can't be seen. I can still see all my Origin and Steam games in the Apllications list. It's like the data is not available or recognized anymore. The laptop runs fine (fast, no weird noises, no system error).

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot!

Bross76, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

1. D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data) - Similar Threads - unavailable Secondary HDD

2. Slow Data Access on D Drive as Secondary User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Data Access on D Drive as Secondary User: Hello Support Team,I'm experiencing noticeable delays while accessing the D drive partition on my workstation, particularly when performing tasks like opening folders, transferring files to the desktop, and renaming files.Could you please assist me in resolving this...
  3. Slow Data Access on D Drive as Secondary User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow Data Access on D Drive as Secondary User: Hello Support Team,I'm experiencing noticeable delays while accessing the D drive partition on my workstation, particularly when performing tasks like opening folders, transferring files to the desktop, and renaming files.Could you please assist me in resolving this...
  4. Slow Data Access on D Drive as Secondary User

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  6. Secondary (data) HDD frequent unnecessary activity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Secondary (data) HDD frequent unnecessary activity: Hello everyone, I have a laptop with a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. On the HDD there are only programs and personal files, the paging file is enabled only on the primary drive. Despite being a Dell device, I am on AHCI since I've switched from RAID in the BIOS while...
  7. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  8. D:\photo is unavailable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D:\photo is unavailable: D:\photo is unavailable I had copied my photos from a hard disk to a D drive But i m nt abt to find the photo know [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dphoto-is-unavailable/75902ac2-ee71-4bf2-8913-7bc67de47054
  9. D:/ drive unavailable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D:/ drive unavailable: Hey I am experiencing a problem where my secondary hard drive is unavailable. It's a local HDD inside of the laptop. I can use the laptop normally since windows is on my c:/ drive SSD but I cannot access my other files. I keep getting this error message when trying to access...
  10. Upgrading D (Data) HDD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Upgrading D (Data) HDD: Greetings. I recently purchased a 2 TB HDD to upgrade from my rapidly filling 1 TB Data drive. My set up is I have Windows installed on a separate SSD (C). I am wondering if its just a matter of dragging and dropping the data on the 1 TB drive to the new 2 TB drive or do I...