Windows 10: D partition space has been decreased

Discus and support D partition space has been decreased in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was shrinking D Partition to create a new partition, but before completing the process, I ended the process by mistake! I thought that the process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MostafaOlwan, Feb 29, 2020.

1. D partition space has been decreased

I was shrinking D Partition to create a new partition, but before completing the process, I ended the process by mistake!
    I thought that the process has been cancelled and everything is normal.
    But I was shocked when I noticed that the D partition space has been decreased about 120 GB and I couldn't find this 120 GB in unallocated space or anywhere.
    I Opened my computer folder and saw that the capacity of D partition became 557 GB instead of 679 GB!

I hope you understand my issue.

Please help

D partition space has been decreased edb496ba-d94a-4e8e-973d-0d75621a9461?upload=true.png

:)

MostafaOlwan, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Jane Lla Win User

c drive space decrease

Hello,

This behavior can occur when System Restore is turned on on your computer. System Restore uses a portion of the hard disk to store "restore points." These restore points are used by System Restore to return your computer to an earlier state.

System Restore creates a new restore point each time that you start the computer.

We suggest following advised steps to resolve issue in our support page regarding sorting

C drive space decrease

Update us with the outcome.

Regards.

Jane Lla, Feb 29, 2020
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Partition space

You're not understanding this. Unallocated space is NOT equal as (partitioned) empty space.

Unallocated space means empty RAW sectors on HDD. Empty space means an already allocated file system (either FAT32 or NTFS or any other) that is not occupied by any data.

So in your case, as DanTheBanjoman already suggested, don't try to shrink "unallocated space", extend the main (C*Smile D partition space has been decreased :) partition instead. You can't shrink something that doesn't exist (unallocated space), but you can extend the existing partition over unallocated space.
    So, just select the C: partition and extend it further. Program should automatically allow you to do that. I'm not using Partition Magic, but i usually done this with either:
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free - manage and resize disk partitions (also for 64bit OS!)

or

EaseUS Partition Master - manage disk partitions (only for 32bit OS!)

RejZoR, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

D partition space has been decreased

Not enough space on Recovery (DD partition space has been decreased :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DD partition space has been decreased :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

D partition space has been decreased

1. D partition space has been decreased - Similar Threads - partition space has

2. D Drive has been locked by bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive has been locked by bitlocker: My D drive got locked by bitlocker and i don't have the recovery key or password. I have not set the bitlocker recovery key for my drive. The only recovery key I have is for my C drive on a flash drive. Can anyone help me with this....
  3. D Drive has been locked by bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D Drive has been locked by bitlocker: My D drive got locked by bitlocker and i don't have the recovery key or password. I have not set the bitlocker recovery key for my drive. The only recovery key I have is for my C drive on a flash drive. Can anyone help me with this....
  4. Storage space keeps decreasing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage space keeps decreasing: so every time i reboot my free disk space goes down by about 1 gb and disk cleanup shows nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-space-keeps-decreasing/a4b7be2f-fec1-45a0-83b1-8a5b8c66a364
  5. Storage space keeps decreasing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage space keeps decreasing: so every time i reboot my free disk space goes down by about 1 gb and disk cleanup shows nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-space-keeps-decreasing/a4b7be2f-fec1-45a0-83b1-8a5b8c66a364
  6. My C Drive has been partitioned!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C Drive has been partitioned!: This might have been caused by something I downloaded - silly me - or not, I really don't know.All of a sudden, my PC won't boot, and tells me there is no accessible boot device. I can run troubleshooting and get to the command prompt.I have unplugged all the USB hard drives,...
  7. Driver space decreasing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Driver space decreasing: My storage space has been decreasing. I got my laptop in April 2019. My driver, Windows C:, had 116 gigabytes during that time, but now my driver can only hold 58.2 GB. It has been slowly decreasing since the end of 2019 and my performance is getting worse. I've reset my...
  8. Computer space suddenly decreased

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer space suddenly decreased: So i switched from a HP to a ASUS L210 Ultra-Thin laptop, then i set up my pc, getting ready to use my new PC, but when i went to check my files i saw i had only 16.9 gigs left in space, i know i'm supposed to have 64 gigs or close to 64, but i cant believe it gaveme about 17...
  9. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?: It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous, especially trying to recover from situations where I purposely "failed" a disk. I actually played with it extensively at the time...
  10. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

in Windows 10 Support
    Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?: It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous, especially trying to recover from situations where I purposely "failed" a disk. I actually played with it extensively at the time...