Windows 10: Daily problem with BITS service despite halting Windows Updates

Discus and support Daily problem with BITS service despite halting Windows Updates in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10 Home version installed on my HP 64-bit laptop. The last successful Windows Feature update was version 1909 on 11th Nov. Since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AjChapekar, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Daily problem with BITS service despite halting Windows Updates

Hi,

I have Windows 10 Home version installed on my HP 64-bit laptop. The last successful Windows Feature update was version 1909 on 11th Nov. Since then, feature update 2004 has failed to install twice; first in Dec and other on 9th Jan.

After that, I have paused updates till 6th Feb as I want to conserve data for next 3 weeks. However, since then, whenever I shut down and restart the laptop, the File Manager takes forever to open. Then I run troubleshooter for Windows Update and in the log, I always find:

InformationalWaaSMedicService

Issues remediated by :AutoUAPlugin;AppCleanerPlugin;EnableUUPScanPlugin

InformationalService Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException

After that the File Manager runs normally.

Since I cannot install Windows updates till Feb 1st week; what would fix this daily chores?

Thanks,

A J Chapekar

:)

AjChapekar, Jan 15, 2021
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Windows Update - Service registration is missing or corrupt

Hi Nitya,

Upon analyzing the details and the troubleshooting steps you have done so far, we suggest that you
    manually reset your Windows Update Components
    by following these
    troubleshooting steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator

• Stop
      BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this,
      type the following command:

• Net stop wuauserv

• Net stop cryptSvc

• Net stop bits

• Net stop msiserver

• Rename
      SoftwareDistribution
      and
      Catroot2
      folder. To do this, type the following commands:

• Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

• Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

• Restart
      BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this,
      type the following command:

• Net start wuauserv

• Net start cryptSvc

• Net start bits

• Net start msiserver

• Restart
      your computer and try to
      install Windows Update.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards

Kem Mon, Jan 15, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Daily problem with BITS service despite halting Windows Updates

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Daily problem with BITS service despite halting Windows Updates

1. Daily problem with BITS service despite halting Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Daily problem BITS

2. A BIT of a problem my bits service is malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A BIT of a problem my bits service is malfunctioning: i will guve info if someone replies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-bit-of-a-problem-my-bits-service-is/21248491-61b6-429c-a406-1862210590bb
  3. A BIT of a problem my bits service is malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A BIT of a problem my bits service is malfunctioning: i will guve info if someone replies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-bit-of-a-problem-my-bits-service-is/21248491-61b6-429c-a406-1862210590bb
  4. Problem with BITS service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with BITS service: I took a screen shot on my phone of the error after running diagnostics but do not know how to transfer on to my pc. So this is exactly what is displayed. Service Status Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started....
  5. Problem with BITS service

Problem with BITS service: I took a screen shot on my phone of the error after running diagnostics but do not know how to transfer on to my pc. So this is exactly what is displayed. Service Status Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started....
  6. Update Troubleshooting found BIT service problem

Update Troubleshooting found BIT service problem: message reads to go to: NETHELPMSG 2182.System.Management.Automation.RemoteException.Am unable to open this link because the reason for Update Troubleshooting was problems Windows was incurring to install new updates over the past 3 days. Restarts were never completed.Now a...
  7. Update Troubleshooting found BIT service problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Troubleshooting found BIT service problem: message reads to go to: NETHELPMSG 2182.System.Management.Automation.RemoteException.Am unable to open this link because the reason for Update Troubleshooting was problems Windows was incurring to install new updates over the past 3 days. Restarts were never completed.Now a...
  8. Update Troubleshooting found BIT service problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Windows update and restart halted progression

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update and restart halted progression: For a while now my pc says that it needs to update and restart but every time I do it it gets stuck at 30% and nothing happens it doesn't increase in percentage or restart, a few times I've left it to update over the course of the day only to come back 6 or so hours later for...
  10. How to solve sound halt problem after Windows update?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to solve sound halt problem after Windows update?: Hello. I'm using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299] I don't remember in what year it was actual but I guess about 2017. Since that time I always revert windows updates back or find information on the internet about pausing such updates. But as I...