Windows 10: Dash blink on boot win10

Discus and support Dash blink on boot win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop is just dead, so I took laptop hdd and insert it on an desktop. I have install the hdd as normaly (with sata and power).The desktop bios... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TechSupportOr21, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Dash blink on boot win10

My laptop is just dead, so I took laptop hdd and insert it on an desktop. I have install the hdd as normaly (with sata and power).The desktop bios recognized it. But when I start to boot an white dash is blinking. What can I do to fix it

:)

TechSupportOr21, Jun 26, 2021
  2. GeoffW Win User

Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar

I'll explain the circumstances in a moment, but first a couple of pictures so you understand what I am seeing. See the small orange dash (dot? spot? thing?) just at the top of the taskbar in each of the following images:

This:

Dash blink on boot win10 [​IMG]

then a second later this:

then a second later two dashes:

and then it repeats

It's not entirely consistent, sometimes the orange dot/dash thing at the top of the taskbar is in just one place, and blinks on for a second and then off for a second, and so on.

This odd behaviour only occurs when the machine has been left idle for a long period (30min or an hour or something), and the moment I start to do anything the little orange dot will be blink quickly a few times and then disappear (happens so quickly that I can't get the task manager up in time to see what process might be causing it).

So far I've only seen it on a particular virtual machine. The host is running VMware Workstation v14 over Windows 10 x64 with latest updates (Creators Update etc.). The guest, where the above images were captured, is also running Windows 10 x64 with the latest updates.

The virtual machine has all sleep options turned off (never sleep the screen or system) as is common on a VM. The VM is running in full screen mode. When I switch back to the VM after not touching it for a long while and I will see these dashes, but almost as soon as I click in the VM they flash quickly for a second and then disappear.

The machine is a development machine and has very little installed other than: vmTools, RAD Studio v10, TinyWall, Firefox, AutoHotKey ... and not much else. The taskbar is locked in position. The machine spends most of its time disconnected from the 'net (external the firewall blocks it), I just let it through occasionally to update.

As far as I can tell there is nothing actually wrong. Everything is stable and working well. I am just very curious about what is painting these orange dashes and why - and whether the patterns have any significance. I've done a lot of searching on the 'net but have not yet found anything that seems to match what I am seeing. So I signed up here to see if you fine people might be able to help. Dash blink on boot win10 :)

GeoffW, Jun 26, 2021
  3. GeoffW Win User
    Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar

A smartphone does not a smart-person make, so I apologise for the wobbling of the camera and the poor colours etc. Here is a link to Imgur of what I captured just a while ago: https://i.imgur.com/fppefEd.mp4

If you watch carefully, and can avoid getting motion sickness, you will see one dash blinking on the right side and another blinking on the left. After a few seconds I move the mouse down over an icon on the taskbar (but I don't click, I just wait for the hint to popup) and you see the nearest dash flashes quickly and then they both disappear.

GeoffW, Jun 26, 2021
  4. Dash blink on boot win10

blank screen with blinking cursor at boot to win10

Upgraded to windows 10.

Everything worked great for a few weeks. Recently turned off the computer and can't boot to windows anymore. The computer gets stuck on blank screen with blinking cursor. Will not show any win 10 screens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

andrewa_333, Jun 26, 2021
Thema:

Dash blink on boot win10

1. Dash blink on boot win10 - Similar Threads - Dash blink boot

2. On boot there is a single blinking cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On boot there is a single blinking cursor: Can't find a way to boot up. Installation USB stick doesn't work. Allowed priority boot for USB. Nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-boot-there-is-a-single-blinking-cursor/4b12adc0-b017-4445-8a5d-0cdeb3df033b
  3. Trying to install win10 32bit on pentium 4, blinking dash and the reboot without install boot

Trying to install win10 32bit on pentium 4, blinking dash and the reboot without install boot: Hi to all guys. my problem is as the title says, when i try to install windows 10 on a pentium pc 519k SL8JA the USB boot start good, than blinking dash and then pc reboot... I don't know I to solve....
  4. black screen blinking dash

black screen blinking dash: hello everyone I recently install a brand new windows 10 pro on my desktop and before even the motherboard logo comes up there is this annoying black screen with a blinking dash on left top and it blinks for like 5-10 s and then the motherboard logo and windows, how can I...
  5. Blinking Task Bar on Booting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blinking Task Bar on Booting: Hello everyone, After the latest update task bar blinking for 2 min and then I able to use my computer. I haven't a problem like this before. I run The System File Checker . Found some corrupted files, repaired them but after that my problem continues. There is video link...
  6. BSOD then blinking cursor on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD then blinking cursor on boot: I was playing a game and then suddenly got a BSOD that said Hardware failure. Now it boots to the blinking cursor black screen. I can get into the bios and both SSD's are detected, along with all other Hardware. The only wierd thing was that my boot drive had changed...
  7. Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  8. Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  9. Grey flashing dash on boots? (Windows 10)

Grey flashing dash on boots? (Windows 10): What does it mean when you see a black screen that has a grey flashing dash located at the top left-hand corner of the screen? It moves down a bit before finally moving onto the Windows 10 logo, where it sometimes gets stuck and reboots (and the grey dash screen appears again...
  10. Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar: I'll explain the circumstances in a moment, but first a couple of pictures so you understand what I am seeing. See the small orange dash (dot? spot? thing?) just at the top of the taskbar in each of the following images: This: [img] then a second later this: [img]...