Windows 10: .dat files now open only with notepad

Discus and support .dat files now open only with notepad in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey! Actually, .dat now opens up with only and only notepad. I don't know, how to change that to the no software as default. Please, help me with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ankur Deewan, Oct 14, 2020.

1. .dat files now open only with notepad

Hey!

Actually, .dat now opens up with only and only notepad. I don't know, how to change that to the no software as default.

Please, help me with that.

:)

Ankur Deewan, Oct 14, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Associate .dat files to NotePad

Hi Rick

Right click a dat file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open dat . . .'

If Notepad is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again if Notepad is not in the list, at the bottom, click 'Look for another app on this PC', then navigate to find the Notepad application in C:\Windows\System32

DaveM121, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Associate .dat files to NotePad

I am trying to associate a .dat created by one of my software packages with Notepad so that the file that is created can be saved to my computer. When I go to the Associate App page in Settings and click on .dat it gives me a message that no app is downloaded
    to use for .dat files. Notepad is on my computer. Why will it not allow me to use it for the association?

RickLoggins, Oct 14, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

.dat files now open only with notepad

*.dat file is opening in Notepad

Hi Muaaz

A Dat file is not an executable file, it is generally a file containing data for an application (executable)

It is not easy to remove a file association in Windows 10, here is a trick that will do that for you . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

On the view Ribbon (tab) check the box marked 'File Name Extensions'

Close File Explorer

Right click your Desktop and choose New - Text File

Right click that text file and choose rename, then change the file extension on that new file from .txt to .exe

Confirm the change

Right click a .dat file, choose open with - Choose another App

Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open .dat files' - IMPORTANT!

Scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again scroll to the bottom and choose 'Find another app on this PC'

Navigate to the dummy file exe on your Desktop and click OK

The .dat file will not open

Delete the dummy exe file on your Desktop and restart your PC

The file association will then be broken!

DaveM121, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

.dat files now open only with notepad

1. .dat files now open only with notepad - Similar Threads - dat files open

2. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  3. .dat file are appeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .dat file are appeared: hello Suddenly some files are appeared on my desktop which are of .dat extention .files names are : backup.dat and settings.dat so i want to know that this kinda file can harm the laptop or not ?thank you...
  4. Remove "Always use this application to open .DAT files"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove "Always use this application to open .DAT files": Hello, I want to uncheck the option "Always use this application to open .DAT files" when I do "open with" on windows 10 I found how to remove this option permanently but not how to simply uncheck it [img] Thanks 166280
  5. Accidently opened a .dat file with internet explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidently opened a .dat file with internet explorer: As the title says, I accidently opened a DATA file with internet explorer and thanks to that I can't open a game in AOE2:DE. I've tried the method of going to RUN, then to REGEDIT and deleting the file choice but it didn't work. It's driving me crazy that such a small error...
  6. Files opening with Notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files opening with Notepad: i have a issue where all my .rpf files are opening with notepad. how would i get them back to normal? the icon was a white piece of paper before if its any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-notepad/97a85f6f-c2f4-43a6-9c92-1e4e69ddaf28
  7. Associate .dat files to NotePad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .dat files to NotePad: I am trying to associate a .dat created by one of my software packages with Notepad so that the file that is created can be saved to my computer. When I go to the Associate App page in Settings and click on .dat it gives me a message that no app is downloaded to use for .dat...
  8. Delete a DAT file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete a DAT file: Hello, My program SuperAntiSpyware detected a malware file named "UsrClass.dat", because this is a Data file when I try to delete it an error message appears "this action can't be taken because the file is open in the system". How can I delete this file? Thanks,...
  9. *.dat file is opening in Notepad

*.dat file is opening in Notepad: I accidently select the notepad for always use this program to open this type of file, but I want it to change to always ask which app to open it. Please help how to change it to default....
  10. Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad

Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad: I need to know how to configure system settings or the registry so that Notepad may not start another instance of a text file when it is already opened, in order to prevent confusion when I accidentally open the same file, make changes to it, and save it while another...