Windows 10: Data Backup before Clean Install

Discus and support Data Backup before Clean Install in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello friends, I have started a small repair business and my question revolves around data backup options while doing a clean install on a PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by iMuneeshKumar, May 16, 2017.

1. Data Backup before Clean Install

Hello friends,

I have started a small repair business and my question revolves around data backup options while doing a clean install on a PC. Generally before doing the clean install, I take a backup of data (User Library such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Video, Outlook File from AppData folder) before doing the clean install.

After new windows installation is done, I copy the earlier backed up data and install all the required programs; configure email accounts again in Outlook and copy PST file earlier backed up.

Is there a better way to backup a client's data? As experienced users, are you able to suggest me a software or another certified procedure to follow while taking data backup & reinstating the data again after clean install?
    As an IT Technician, please suggest some other better way to take the data backup if there is any?

Thank you very much.

:)

iMuneeshKumar, May 16, 2017
  2. tdug Win User

How can I upgrade to Window 10 and remove all the data at the same time

During installation, Keep data and applications is checked by default. However you can decide what to keep before launching the process.

Backup only your data on an external disk before in case of...

Or backup your system and do a big cleaning (progressively) before upgrading to W10.

3. Jessen P Win User
    Install Windows 7 on Windows 10 (Can't recover)

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Yes, a clean installation can be done. But before doing that take a backup of all the data to the external hard disk, as it may result in data loss.

Jessen P, May 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Data Backup before Clean Install

One idea I find useful is to use disk imaging.
    If you have a disk image, you can then mount the image after the clean install and extract any data (you might have overlooked) from the image.

Further, if there's a disk problem (related to clusters containing read data), imaging will fail- so an inherent check.

In addition to those areas you mention, there are
    - program related settings (registry, %appdata%, ProgramData.....)
    - browser related data e.g. favourites, passwords perhaps, etc etc..

Of course programs such as Laplink PCMover (or similar from Easeus) are ideal for this- but there's a license cost. However, where many programs are involved, automating this vs your time would make it worthwhile.

Note: one Laplink program can transfer data and programs to a new OS from a disk image.

dalchina, May 16, 2017
  5. Thank you for the reply. I will have a look at the mentioned software.
    Generally I access "AppData" folder only to grab Outlook PST files. I do not copy any other program data.

I just wanted to have an alternate view of other experts when they do the data backup. Maybe there is a way to copy all the user profiles and then reinstate those with the new clean install.

Thank you for the info.

6. dalchina New Member
  7. Thanks for the quick reply again. Some direction I got.

8. cereberus Win User

high five days
    You are doing pretty much all you can without investing in program moving tools like easeus pctrans, laplink pcmover, zinstall but as a business, these tools may be worth the cost as they can save you a lot of time.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  9. Thanks my friend.

iMuneeshKumar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Data Backup before Clean Install - Similar Threads - Data Backup before

2. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  3. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  4. Offline drive before clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Offline drive before clean install: Sometimes of a 2 or more physical drive system, when you do a clean install to one drive, the system partition might end up on one of the other drives. For this reason it is recommended to disconnect all the other drives before doing the clean install. But I wonder if you...
  5. Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install

Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install: Hi! I was just about to do a clean re-install of Windows 10 (Pro/64), but got stuck/confused with my partitions: why are there two recovery partitions on Drive 0? Can I delete both/any? How would I find out which Recovery partition is the current/active one? (Going by the...
  6. Can we preview the data before doing backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can we preview the data before doing backup?: I bought Acronis Backup 12 with savings from this site. is it possible to preview the data before doing backup? 81440
  7. Clean Install then Recover Backup?

Clean Install then Recover Backup?: Long story sort I kind of messed up my GPT partition table. I have backed up an image of my Boot partition only (C:\) and not any other partitions such as bootloader etc... So my question is, would I be able to start all over, re-format the drive from Win10 installation...
  8. How to backup programs for clean installation

How to backup programs for clean installation: I plan on doing a clean install of Windows however, as I have limited time and slow internet speed, downloading all the programs again that I currently have would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. How do I backup all of my programs so that I can just restore them...
  9. An important question before clean install

An important question before clean install: I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive (SSD) as it is currently installed. It will put the older version of W10 into a Windows.old folder which I'm going to back it...
  10. Question before performing a clean installation

Question before performing a clean installation: I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the installation process. I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of the guys on the forum. Are there other users who have PC or...