Windows 10: DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

Discus and support DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Get ready for a novel. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. For almost 2 weeks now, I have been reading articles and answers on several websites... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FaithLorraine, Aug 10, 2020.

1. DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

Get ready for a novel. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. For almost 2 weeks now, I have been reading articles and answers on several websites for the official/proper way to move some of my User Folders Desktop, Library Folders, & OneDrive itself to my 1TB DATA D: Drive, have those synced to OneDrive, AND ALSO have those folders still be accessed via 'This PC' menu in File Explorer. So, when I open 'File Explorer', I want to be able to look under 'This PC', right-click on each Library folder, look under 'properties' and see that the Desktop + LIBRARY folders Documents, Music, Pictures & Videos each have a file-path of D:\Users\Owner\FolderName\OneDrive. I also want to be able to right-click on the 'OneDrive' cloud folder above 'This PC' and have the file-path be: D:\Users\Owner\OneDrive, and be synced to the Library folders in my DATA D: drive. When I 'save' a new document, music file, photo or video, I want them to default to the D: drive that is synced to my OneDrive.

When I got my new computer, I followed the setup process as usual, including OneDrive. However, it only gave me the option of syncing 'Desktop, Documents and Pictures.' I went ahead, thinking I must have missed something, since Music and Videos weren't included. All of these, including OneDrive itself default to the C: drive as usual. I have 180 GB to move onto my computer & sync to my OneDrive, so I might as well get started using my 1TB D: drive from now on and leave the OS and apps and Downloads folder on the C: drive. I thought this process would be easier for me, but I'm too analytical and don't understand how file-paths and mapping works. I attempted this process following the directions on 'Windows Central': 1 Created a Folder named: Users in the D: drive. Then within that, a subfolder named: Owner. 2 Went to the OneDrive Cloud in the Taskbar, right-clicked, Properties and un-linked OneDrive from my PC. 3 Went to Start Menu 4 Run Command 5 %UserProfile% 6 Selected OneDrive folder. 7 Selected 'Move' under 'Home' and moved each folder one at a time to: D:\Users\Owner. The folders and files appeared my D: drive. 8 I signed back into OneDrive, but the same 3 folders Desktop, Documents, & Pictures were the only ones that would link. 9 I went to File Explorer under 'This PC', right clicked under each user-folder, and they did indeed have a file path of D\:Users\Owner. The Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders specific file-path was D:\Users\Owner\OneDrive, and the Music & Videos file-paths were just D:\Users\Owner. The OneDrive folder above 'This PC' had a file-path of: D:\Users\Owner.

It seemed I was successful at moving my OneDrive, so I created a test-document and saved it to the default 'This PC', and even though it appeared in the D: drive Documents folder like I wanted, it did NOT appear in the OneDrive folder. So, it appears the sync was not done properly. In File Explorer, even though I right-click on each user-folder including OneDrive and it shows a D: drive file-path, when I open the C: drive folder, some of the files were STILL there Desktop, Documents, Pictures as well. I don't want duplicate files on both the C drive. When used the 'move' option under 'Home', it must have chosen to copy them instead of move them, even though I did NOT choose copy-to. Because of the OneDrive syncing, I am so confused as to what is a local folder and what is in the cloud. And I DO want all my OneDrive files available on my PC - I want it to be as if I am only using ONE file that is always synced everywhere but that is safe both locally and in the OneDrive. In frustration, I restored all my files back to their C: drive positions. Now, I want to start over and hopefully do it right this time, like I 'thought' I was last time. The 2 links below talk about the process of moving User-Folders, so if they are right, I feel like I have a good foundation to go from AGAIN. However, I don't understand WHY I need to recreate folders of the same-names in my D: drive beyond just the Users folder and Owner sub-folders. WHY do I need to create a Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and OneDrive subfolders? Won't they just move into the main folder I already created D:\Users\Owner? Doesn't creating new folders in D: just make these duplicates of the ones I'm about to transfer? I don't want there to be a hidden spot in my C: drive where my files are still hiding. I want them ALL to be on the D: drive ONLY, INCLUDING all of OneDrive. Also, in order to link the Music and Video folders under 'My PC' to OneDrive, can't I just move them to that folder BEFORE I move all of OneDrive to the D: Drive? Then they'll all just go together to the D: drive. With that said, I am open to hearing ANYTHING. I really want to understand so I can FINALLY move my folders and files and rest-easy knowing everything I do with my files will be read by the Windows OS. One thing though, I don't want to use the mklink process. I don't want a stand-in to trick my computer. I just want to do it correctly the original way. Thank you to whoever responds and helps me! DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders :D

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/musicandvideo/forum/all/how-do-i-sync-my-music-folder-on-my-pc-to-onedrive/7247acde-e324-4dc3-b224-03b8809e547a

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/micr...e-documents-and-other-libraries-with-onedrive

:)

FaithLorraine, Aug 10, 2020
  2. Mack2019 Win User

DATA Drive (DDATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders :) Shared User Folders

Under DATA Drive (DDATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders :) is a folder called Users, which has my user folder and my son's user folder. When he logs into his account, he can see my user folder. How can I fix it so he can't see my user folder?

Mack2019, Aug 10, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    QNAP Enables Symform Storage and Google Drive Sync Support to its NAS Lineup

QNAP Systems, Inc. today announced its Symform cloud storage backup integration has been upgraded with unlimited cloud storage capacity by trading local storage capacity for cloud capacity, and now includes new Google Drive Sync feature. The improved integration of cloud storage services aims to provide QNAP Turbo NAS users with more flexible options for file backup.

QNAP included Symform's service that provides Turbo NAS users up to 10 GB free storage capacity for cloud backup. The new service advances the offering to a free and unlimited cloud backup storage by users' contribution. Users can expand their cloud capacity by contributing local storage to Symform Storage Cloud, and in return get additional capacity in the Symform cloud. The cloud storage gained by contribution is unlimited and free, providing more space to store personal files as an ideal backup solution on the cloud. Users can synchronize files between Turbo NAS and the Symform cloud easily for backing up important data redundantly in the cloud.

"We are excited to have thousands of QNAP users in over 50 countries backing-up their NAS data to our distributed, global storage network, and we appreciate QNAP's market-leading approach to comprehensive data protection," said Matthew J Schiltz, CEO of Symform. "Through our strategic partnership, we have established a revolutionary, crowd sourced model for backing up NAS data in the cloud, and with our new pricing, QNAP customer adoption will accelerate even further."

The newly released Google Drive Sync provides an easy solution for synchronizing data between the Turbo NAS and Google Drive. Users can designate a local shared folder in the Turbo NAS dedicated for synchronizing files with Google Drive on the scheduling or manual basis. Any new or modified files stored in the Turbo NAS or Google Drive can be easily synchronized.

In addition to Symform and Google Drive, QNAP Turbo NAS supports other renowned cloud storage providers for data backup and recovery in the purpose of continuous data protection, including Amazon S3 and ElephantDrive.

"As cloud storage services are widely used nowadays, QNAP has integrated support for the well known and most-used cloud storage services to support the needs of users desiring to leverage cloud solutions for redundant file backup and sync," said Jason Hsu, product manager of QNAP. "Our users can have greater flexibility in backing up content stored on the NAS," added Hsu.

Availability
    • Symform is available for all Turbo NAS models capable of running NAS firmware version 3.5.2 onward.
    • Google Drive Sync is available on all Turbo NAS units installed with NAS firmware version 3.7.0 onward. To obtain Google Drive Sync, please visit QPKG Center to download.

btarunr, Aug 10, 2020
  4. scopio Win User

DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!

I moved the Data files Contacts, Documents etc. to the D:\ drive using the Properties > Location > Move method and Office Word etc. in Options > Save show that the Save destination is D:\Users\username\Documents which is as it should be BUT which of the duplicated folders as I also made the changes in Windows > Settings > Storage method which seem to have duplicated the folders and I now have two folders in D:\Users\username\ for Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos presumably moved there by the Windows > Settings > Storage these folders do not have an icon just a plain folder picture and I assume they are the ones from theWindows > Settings > Storage method.

1. What did I do wrong to get duplicate folders?
    2. Which folders will be used when I finally save work to?
    3. Can the duplicate folders without the icons be deleted or would there be issues?

DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders [​IMG]

The screenshot is not from the actual pc but just to demonstrate how in actually shows in the other pc as I can't get to the actual pc just yet. No data has been saved as yet as the Office 365 applications have not been used yet.

scopio, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

1. DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders - Similar Threads - DATA Drive Storage

2. how to sync other drive folders to one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to sync other drive folders to one drive: How to sync other drives folders to one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sync-other-drive-folders-to-one-drive/3d085043-2a6c-4bb5-bdf7-f5708f6344e4
  3. how to sync other drive folders to one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to sync other drive folders to one drive: How to sync other drives folders to one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sync-other-drive-folders-to-one-drive/3d085043-2a6c-4bb5-bdf7-f5708f6344e4
  4. One Drive folder sync question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive folder sync question: Hi there,I am working on a Windows desktop with One Drive installed. I use it to move stuff between my desktop and my laptop which I use infrequently. However, the two devices have different folder architecture. So my question:On my desktop, I have a virtual drive D:, on...
  5. One Drive folder sync question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive folder sync question: Hi there,I am working on a Windows desktop with One Drive installed. I use it to move stuff between my desktop and my laptop which I use infrequently. However, the two devices have different folder architecture. So my question:On my desktop, I have a virtual drive D:, on...
  6. One Drive folder sync question

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Data D Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data D Drive: My computer has relatively low storage space. My computer shows me that under "storage on other devices" an internal drive has 920 GB of storage. I am trying to move Steam apps to this drive but I have no way of doing this. I have no way to send the applications to the other...
  8. DATA Drive (D:) Shared User Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DATA Drive (D:) Shared User Folders: Under DATA Drive (D:) is a folder called Users, which has my user folder and my son's user folder. When he logs into his account, he can see my user folder. How can I fix it so he can't see my user folder?...
  9. Sync a folder not in Documents to One Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Sync a folder not in Documents to One Drive: I have a folder not in my user/documents folder that I would like to sync to One Drive. So far, I've not been able to figure out how to do that. Actually the folder is not on the C: drive but on D:. I really need some help. Thank you. 89308
  10. One Drive Sync Folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    One Drive Sync Folders.: I noticed in quick access that one drive has folders in documents & pictures folder, but not in video and music folders. In one drive folder I do have pictures and videos in those folders. So why are they not synced in quick access. Henry [img] 72640