Windows 10: Data gone after rebooting and logging in with password instead of pin

Discus and support Data gone after rebooting and logging in with password instead of pin in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Rebooted my PC and after I tried to sign in with my pin. Message says "You can't sign into this device right now. Try the last password used on this... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Michael Kron, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Data gone after rebooting and logging in with password instead of pin

Rebooted my PC and after I tried to sign in with my pin. Message says "You can't sign into this device right now. Try the last password used on this device." I use "Sign in options" to change to password and enter my password. I get in but all my data is gone and my desktop is almost empty

:)

Michael Kron, Nov 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password

Thank you for your reply Person.

Glad to know that the Pop up with the password manager is disabled with the above suggestion.

Try the below suggestions to fix the issue with Signing in using PIN authentication.

Steps 1: Launch the File Explorer.

Step 2: Browse to this location, and delete the contents of the folder.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

Step 3: Go to Settings (Press Windows
    and I key), Accounts > Sign in Options.

Step 4: Click on Add a PIN and set your PIN.

Step 5: Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Dani Pun Win User

Data gone after rebooting and logging in with password instead of pin

Windows 10 password pin stopped working

Hi,

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

• Are you able to start up your device up to the desktop screen?
    • After doing the password reset, what error message are you getting?
    • Are you able to log in to your account using a password instead of a pin?

In the meantime, if you are able to start up your device up to the desktop screen you may follow the steps to Remove Pin:

Go to Settings.

Under Accounts, click on Sign in options and select
    Remove PIN.

After removing your PIN (this will require your password to do this), then you may click
    Add PIN. Follow the steps to add a PIN.

NOTE: You may use the same PIN you have been using.

After doing so, log out of your account and sign back in using your PIN.

Let us know how it works.

Dani Pun, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Data gone after rebooting and logging in with password instead of pin

1. Data gone after rebooting and logging in with password instead of pin - Similar Threads - Data gone rebooting

2. Can only log in with pin instead of email password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can only log in with pin instead of email password: I have windows 10 on a laptop and windows 10 and then updated to 11 on a desktop. On the laptop I've always been able to login windows with a pin, finger print or email password. The desktop doesn't have a finger print reader so I understand why there' no option for that, but...
  3. Can only log in with pin instead of email password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can only log in with pin instead of email password: I have windows 10 on a laptop and windows 10 and then updated to 11 on a desktop. On the laptop I've always been able to login windows with a pin, finger print or email password. The desktop doesn't have a finger print reader so I understand why there' no option for that, but...
  4. Password log on gone - PIN issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password log on gone - PIN issue: Until yesterday, I logged on with a password.Today I am locked out. Pc asks for pin, which I know and enter. I then get the message that credentials aren’t recognised. I was asked to reset pin but the whole process fails eventually, after doing security checks, logging in in...
  5. Password log on gone - PIN issue

Password log on gone - PIN issue: Until yesterday, I logged on with a password.Today I am locked out. Pc asks for pin, which I know and enter. I then get the message that credentials aren’t recognised. I was asked to reset pin but the whole process fails eventually, after doing security checks, logging in in...
  6. LOG on with ID and Password instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LOG on with ID and Password instead of PIN: I have a pin to sign on to my computer. How do I get a user ID and password, so I can use logmein? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-on-with-id-and-password-instead-of-pin/8613324a-2e22-4bb1-b4e9-6b5d1d1b5281
  7. LOG on with ID and Password instead of PIN

LOG on with ID and Password instead of PIN: I have a pin to sign on to my computer. How do I get a user ID and password, so I can use logmein? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-on-with-id-and-password-instead-of-pin/8613324a-2e22-4bb1-b4e9-6b5d1d1b5281
  8. LOG on with ID and Password instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Use Password Instead of PIN

Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  10. Pin switching to password after reboot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Pin switching to password after reboot: So I was changing up my settings on a wacom tablet software for the tablet and i decided to restart the PC. I was then met with a password login instead of a PIN login. The thing is that i dont remember making a password. Can anyone tell me a way to revert back to pin...