Windows 10: Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size.

Discus and support Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a text document that is 118kb that when I open it using notepad or any other word processor appears to show a blank page. However, clicking on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ScottATL999, May 18, 2019.

1. Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size.

I have a text document that is 118kb that when I open it using notepad or any other word processor appears to show a blank page. However, clicking on "select all" highlights the entire area and seems to encompass multiple pages, yet still does not display any visible data. I also notice that the status bar at the bottom shows "Windows (CRLF) Line 1, Col 121,043 100%" so is my data being hidden somehow in a excel format or distant cell where I cannot view it?

Also, this may not be relevant, but while typing this my cursor jumped down to the bottom of this page and getting back up to what I was typing looked like it had created 100 blank pages in between that required me to hold "page up" for 20 seconds before it returned me to where I was typing. Does anyone have any clue what is causing this to happen and why cant I see any of the data saved in my 118kb file? Any help would be much appreciated...

:)

ScottATL999, May 18, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

3. john barr Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

i dont know what the problem is , looks like i need to format C

john barr, May 18, 2019
  4. Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size.

Notepad++ tabs font size

For some reason the font size Notepad++ uses to render tab fonts suddenly became huge:

Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size. W8DOL.jpg

There are settings for it in Settings -> Style Configurator -> Global Styles -> Active tab text and Inactive tabs, but for some reason changing this setting has no effect. There is nothing suggesting that this setting or any related changed inside Notepad++ (and I sure didn't do it deliberately). Perhaps the IT department pushed out some new Windows 10 font setting (not otherwise visible in the system)? If so: how can I tell what setting to revert? Everything I've found on Windows 10 Professional's font settings has a size of 9, so it seems like a long-shot.

Edit: I just reinstalled Notepad++, after having wiped all npp data, but without any visual effect (the font size in the tabs is still huge). I still suspect our IT department to have pushed some Windows 10 font setting.

Jonas Byström, May 18, 2019
Thema:

Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size.

1. Data not being displayed in notepad despite being 118kb's in size. - Similar Threads - Data being displayed

2. dynamic lighting - keyboard not displaying effects despite being supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dynamic lighting - keyboard not displaying effects despite being supported: Hello,I just updated to the newest version of Windows 11 and saw my keyboard Razer Blackwidow v3 supported dynamic lighting. However, no matter what I do moving USB ports, restarting Windows, turning dynamic lighting off and on again, I can't get the dynamic lighting working....
  3. dynamic lighting - keyboard not displaying effects despite being supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dynamic lighting - keyboard not displaying effects despite being supported: Hello,I just updated to the newest version of Windows 11 and saw my keyboard Razer Blackwidow v3 supported dynamic lighting. However, no matter what I do moving USB ports, restarting Windows, turning dynamic lighting off and on again, I can't get the dynamic lighting working....
  4. Notepad being phased out; why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad being phased out; why?: I finally let Microsoft win and upgraded to Windows 11. When I tried to open Notepad, I got a message saying Notepad will be removed in the future. Notepad is an essential part of Windows and I still use it regularly; what kind of decision is this? Is Microsoft trying to...
  5. Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator: When I try to shut down my laptop Windows 7 using Alt+F4, it says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." And all this despite I'm logged in with the admin account & it's the one & only user...
  6. Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator: When I try to shut down my laptop Windows 7 using Alt+F4, it says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." And all this despite I'm logged in with the admin account & it's the one & only user...
  7. Not showing update despite there being some

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not showing update despite there being some: Hi all. I have recently paused updates but I have now resumed them and it says up to date. However I know I need to get the March update for version 2004 which I was being prompted to up date to before I paused them. Are the any other methods to make windows check for...
  8. Bluetooth not working despite being connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth not working despite being connected: My Bluetooth stopped working yesterday. At first, I thought it was my specific Galaxy Earbuds, but all Bluetooth functions no longer work my other wireless headset, my wireless keyboard, my wireless game controller. While they show up in my settings as devices I can connect...
  9. Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Incorrect Drive Usage Size being displayed in Windows 10: Hello there ! OS : Windows 10 (64 bit) - version 1809 (OS build 17763.404) Recently, I faced a very peculiar issue with my Laptop. I noticed that the size statistics of Volume A: of Hard disk are incorrectly displayed. If I check for usage by right clicking drive A:...
  10. Windows 10 Displaying Smaller Sized Icons Despite Source Being 256x256

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Displaying Smaller Sized Icons Despite Source Being 256x256: Hi there, I like having big, detailed icons in my games folders however, Windows 10 has decided that such a luxury is absolutely not allowed. Despite the fact that I download only icons that are 256x256 or above, Windows 10 loves to RANDOMLY change icons to display the...