Windows 10: Data on separate partition or drive?

Discus and support Data on separate partition or drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mc510, Jun 28, 2015.

1. mc510 Win User

Data on separate partition or drive?

Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes G:\Users\{user}\Documents?

I'm hoping that it actually becomes more like *nix, using symbolic links to point to the right place (so C:\Users\{user}\Documents points to the separate partition of drive). Personally, I find the Win7 method to be clunky and problematic in actual use.

:)

mc510, Jun 28, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Different drives

Lacrumb, I do agree that if a system cannot take 2 drives, a separate partition for the users data is a really good idea. It separates the OS from the user data in case the system fails. It does not protect against hard drive failure!

With respect to a separate partition for images, I have to disagree, that is what folders are for . . .

Backups should always be on a separate physical drive in case of Hard Drive failure, I have lost count how many users have come to me with HDD failure, saying 'I have backed up regularly, surely you can recover my data', when it is not possible since the
    backup was on the same physical drive . . .

It does not matter how many partitions you have, it is still only a logical separation, not a physical one

In the long run, we are all free to setup our systems as we choose, but the only real argument nowadays for partitioning your drive is data separation from the OS

DaveM121, Jun 28, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Disk partitons

Hi Luke, did you have a separate partition for your data that was 265.7GB in size - the Drive letter might not have been D, but from the screenshot you provided that partition exists separate to your C Drive . . .

DaveM121, Jun 28, 2015
  4. Wynona Win User

I use an external drive for storing my files. Within that drive are many folders, sub folders and even sub, sub folders.

To create a default place for your documents, do this:

Settings>System>Storage>New documents will save to:>Down Arrow>choose where you want to save documents.

I chose my Toshiba external drive; Windows created a folder within Toshiba with my user name as default and then nested a Documents folder within that..

Now, for saving:

Ctrl S (for Save)>Browse and your default will show up.

Not as clean as I'd like, but it works . . . after a fashion. Personally, I'd rather just go for choosing which folder I want to store any particular document in.

Wynona, Jun 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Data on separate partition or drive? - Similar Threads - Data separate partition

2. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  3. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  4. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  5. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. User data folders not available after separation to new partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User data folders not available after separation to new partition: On Windows 10 v.2004. I wanted to separate User data from the system drive to simplify backup and maintenance of a Lenovo X1Yoga, which uses a nominal 500GB actual 477GB NVMe M.2 drive. [I ran XP with separate system and data partitions.] The outcome was not simple. Here is...
  7. How to separate data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to separate data?: Hi all On my pc i have a 240gb ssd and a 2tb sata and It really annoys me that all of my data is all shoved together. Is it possible to put ONLY my windows software on the ssd, create a partition on my sata for applications and another on the sata for everything else. While...
  8. Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive).

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive).: Why is it that every time I save a system image using Windows' built in System Image software there is ghost data that ends up in a separate partition? It happens every single time. And I call it ghost data because there is nothing there, even when I show "hidden items"....
  9. Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it advisable to put user data on a separate Windows 10 partition: I have a desktop PC with a 1000 GB hard drive. The OS is Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I have the OS and programs/apps on C: partition of 150 GB and user data on D: partition of 781 GB. I have a system image backup, taken recently when the PC was functioning OK. I backup the...
  10. Move recovery drive to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery drive to a separate partition: Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using...