Windows 10: Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail

Discus and support Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi friends, I'm using Windows 10, Version10.0.18363 Build 18363 I'm in a bit of a jam. Thanks to a faulty USB cable, my 8TB external hard-drive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GenghisKant, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail

Hi friends,

I'm using Windows 10, Version10.0.18363 Build 18363

I'm in a bit of a jam. Thanks to a faulty USB cable, my 8TB external hard-drive disconnected while decrypting the data. And so now it's not accepting my password, which I know is correct.

I get the first following error:

Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail [​IMG]

So I did some googling and found these instructions:

How to Recover Data from Damaged Bitlocker Drive

I bought another 8TB hard-drive, formatted it and executed:

repair-bde E: F: -pw Force

This went to 100%, which some errors reading specific sectors (which the article outlined). But when I went to run chkdsk as recommended, I got the following error on the output drive (F:\)

I also get the following error when I attach the output drive from Windows:

When I get the disks in DISKPART, the corrupted drive seems to still have something on it, even though it went to completion with repair-bde.

I'm at a loss, my next step is ddrescue on Linux, but I'm not even sure that would work with a, presumably, still encrypted drive.

Any help would be greatly, greatly, appreciated. It's family photos, all that jazz, so I need to do everything I can to get it back.

Thanks!

:)

GenghisKant, Jun 25, 2020
  2. Bill Smithers, Jun 25, 2020
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Suman_B Win User

Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail

BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand you are not able to unlock the encrypted drive with recovery key on the Windows 10 PC, you may want to refer to this article to check if that helps.

BitLocker recovery guide.

However, as the issue is with the BitLocker encryption. I would suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet,
    where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker issues to assist you with your query.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail

1. Data Recovery from Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Fail - Similar Threads - Data Recovery Bitlocker

2. Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives: Dear Community,I've used disk partitions over my pre loaded home edition window. By default i've received one C drive but after disk partition now it was three drives. Today i've reinstall the window but now big issue occur, I can access only one C drive other two devices...
  3. Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives: Dear Community,I've used disk partitions over my pre loaded home edition window. By default i've received one C drive but after disk partition now it was three drives. Today i've reinstall the window but now big issue occur, I can access only one C drive other two devices...
  4. Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive: Today my home laptop system asked for bit locker password after booting up before login. Bit locker encryption was not enabled by me. However, to make the computer usable, C drive was formatted since there was no critical data in C Drive. However D Drive is still encrypted....
  5. Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive: Today my home laptop system asked for bit locker password after booting up before login. Bit locker encryption was not enabled by me. However, to make the computer usable, C drive was formatted since there was no critical data in C Drive. However D Drive is still encrypted....
  6. Data Recovery in Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

7. Recovering data from a failed BitLocker drive?

Recovering data from a failed BitLocker drive?: Hello!I have a failed M.2 NVMe 2030 SSD that I am trying to recover data from. It had Windows 10 Enterprise version 10.0.19044.1766 installed before it failed, and so is encrypted with BitLocker and I do have the BitLocker recovery key for that drive.I currently have it...
  8. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: I purchased a second hand HP ProDesk PC and supplier replaced original SSD with new larger capacity. BitLocker was and remains turned on. I wasn't aware until I spent some time updating Win10 Pro and downloading some programs and data.Via Control Panel > BitLocker Drive...
  9. recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive?: submitted by /u/Hamm103 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjra4n/recovering_data_from_bitlocker_encrypted_drive/
  10. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: On Windows 10, I'm trying to set up a Bitlock Recovery Key and I accepted the Print option. On the print out I am being asked to compare the start of the identifier on the print out with the identifier on my computer to see if it matches. Where on the computer would I find...