Windows 10: Data recovery

Discus and support Data recovery in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, So my laptop died [I do know a dead one when I see one] during a writing session. Totally dead. 2 uninterrupted hours of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by broket, Jan 4, 2016.

1. broket Win User

Data recovery

Hi all,

So my laptop died [I do know a dead one when I see one] during a writing session. Totally dead. 2 uninterrupted hours of stream-of-consciousness with background saves every 5 minutes so I guessed I lost 5 minutes worth, max.

How wrong am I? My problem is that the old days seem to be gone - I take the drive out, put it into other machines/external boxes and try ALL my old tricks.

No data. Zip.

All help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

:)

broket, Jan 4, 2016

2. data recovery

Unfortunately, if you never copied your photos to a computer or uploaded them to your Onedrive account and you performed a hard reset of the phone, the photos are lost permanently and they cannot be restored.

Julie fka profjulie, Jan 4, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    recovery of data

What data do you refer to??

garym123, Jan 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Data recovery

Spinrite? Does the hard drive spin up at all?

Pro and Con arguments ref. condensation (internal) and putting it in a fridge/freezer. I suppose with progressive temperature reduction and dessicants you could reduce the risk and gain the chance of some recovery.

It all depends on the value of the data vs the effort (and expense with commercial data recovery) you wish to expend.

Somewhat disconcerting that both the laptop and drive are dead- suggests significant power problem.

dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  5. broket Win User
    Hi dalchina thanks for the answer - I guess I wasn't clear. The drive is fine. SMART checks out totally. The drive is not the problem - I am guessing some encryption from MS is locking me/anyone out.

The laptop mainboard is totalled. I work with hardware and a soldering iron is not going to fix this Data recovery :(

broket, Jan 4, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Last piece of SW I heard of that can burn up HW was "Door Stopper" for Atari. It would accelerate processor until it literary burned out. Since than a lot has changed and processor and other parts have built in safeties to shut down or at least throttle down system if overheated or overvolted.

CountMike, Jan 4, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  8. broket Win User

Data recovery

broket, Jan 4, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    No.. I've just tried attaching a HDD I had in this laptop- can read it.
    Can you see all the partitions?

dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  10. broket Win User
    yep partitions are there - is your other machine W10?

none of mine are.

broket, Jan 4, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Ok, there is a difference in our situations- I have the one win 10 laptop and a Win 7 netbook for travelling. I put the Win 10 HDD I had in this laptop in a case as a USB disk connected to the same laptop. (The netbook has been put away).

What happens if you try to read any of the partitions?
    Note: if you want to overcome any restrictions imposed by running Windows use the boot disk from e.g. partition manager or a data recovery program, or one of the (older) boot disks like Falcon's or Hiren's.

dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  12. Pauline Win User
    Sectors on hard disk can get defective due to several reasons like file system corruption, virus infection etc. Formation of bad sectors in HD increases beyond a number then, it may make hard drives dead. By using efficient recovery tool you can easily recover data from dead hard drive within any complex procedures. For reference follow this page: http://www.chabadkids.org/software-t...erating-system

Pauline, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Data recovery

1. Data recovery - Similar Threads - Data recovery

2. What to do when system image recovery destroys data partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do when system image recovery destroys data partitions: Recently I had an issue with my computer caused by a feature that I confused with a virus the annoying and extremely invasive OSD volume controls.It had been a very long time since I had last used the image system restore feature probably around 2016, since this computer had...
  3. What to do when system image recovery destroys data partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do when system image recovery destroys data partitions: Recently I had an issue with my computer caused by a feature that I confused with a virus the annoying and extremely invasive OSD volume controls.It had been a very long time since I had last used the image system restore feature probably around 2016, since this computer had...
  4. What to do when system image recovery destroys data partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Laptop stolen, recovery of data and lock laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stolen, recovery of data and lock laptop: My laptop is stolen now I want to recover my data if possible and after that I want to lock that laptop so that noone else can use it in any way.If possible I also want to get the current location of my lost laptop....
  6. Laptop stolen, recovery of data and lock laptop

Laptop stolen, recovery of data and lock laptop: My laptop is stolen now I want to recover my data if possible and after that I want to lock that laptop so that noone else can use it in any way.If possible I also want to get the current location of my lost laptop....
  7. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data recovery after diskpart clean command: Hi Laptop: Asuspro 2520LJI encountered this error when reinstalling Windows 10: "the selected disk has an mbr partition table on efi systems windows can only be installed to gpt...". what did i do?shift+F10 = open command prompt Diskpart List disk result: I had two disks, one...
  8. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

Data recovery after diskpart clean command: Hi Laptop: Asuspro 2520LJI encountered this error when reinstalling Windows 10: "the selected disk has an mbr partition table on efi systems windows can only be installed to gpt...". what did i do?shift+F10 = open command prompt Diskpart List disk result: I had two disks, one...
  9. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to save my data in recovery mode loop?

How to save my data in recovery mode loop?: My laptop is an acer predator 300 and it was turned off during a Windows 11 update. Since then, it has been in a loop of recovery mode and blue screens. When I try to use a USB Windows install, it doesn't let me choose the option to save my data, only to do a custom install....