Windows 10: Data security and safety

Discus and support Data security and safety in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good Day to All, As an amateur computerist and never having the training I have become aware of the years of data I've accumulated that is invaluable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by glennc, Feb 21, 2017.

1. glennc Win User

Data security and safety

Good Day to All,
    As an amateur computerist and never having the training I have become aware of the years of data I've accumulated that is invaluable to me. My current backup plan, which I think is adequate, is make system images of the os drive and the data drive, usually monthly with Paragon to an external drive. Consolidating and upgrading to an SSD has left me with 3 WD 500GB hard drives. I am looking for assistance in using a more resilient backup plan and possibly in the future a NAS. I have read about ReFS with a two way mirror, three-way mirror, Windows Storage Space with Parity are all options. Having unsuccessfully played with setting up Storage space I was hoping for opinions on a real procedure to accomplish my goals. I would still backup to an external drive.
    So opinions requested.
    Thanks in advance.

:)

glennc, Feb 21, 2017

2. how do you prevent compatible web directory app from installing on your computer

Hi Rudolf,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

A Trojan horse or Trojan is a type of malware that is often disguised as legitimate software.

These actions can include:
    • Deleting data
    • Blocking data
    • Modifying data
    • Copying data
    • Disrupting the performance of computers or computer networks.

I would recommend you to download the Microsoft Safety Scanner from the following link and check if it helps.

Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Safety Scanner Disclaimer: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate viruses if any.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Feb 21, 2017
  3. Disappearing folders in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this helps.

Niranjan Manjhi, Feb 21, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Data security and safety

Don't use ReFS. It is still experimental and not recommended by MS at this time. NTFS is more reliable and full featured. Windows Apps don't work on ReFS for example. Whether they work if you restore them back from a backup stored there I don't know. I've not tested it and wouldn't risk it.

How much do you have to backup? Less than 500GB? If so you have 3 disks to use.

If that is the case I would do a full backup on the 1st of those 3 disks and give it to a friend or put it in the bank.

You could set up mirroring on the other two if you are really worried about hardware failure but this will not help if you house burns down or you get a ransomware virus. You could make better use of your disks.

If you get a ransomware virus it will affect all connected disks. I would therefore use the 2nd disk to make backups and then plug in the 3rd one , copy the backup disk onto it and then unplug it again.

For me monthly would be too slow for data. I would use File History to backup changed documents hourly (or daily if you prefer) to your backup drive. This is automated and you don't have to think about it.

I would then do a system image monthly or at whatever frequency you like (onto the same drive) or after installing some software.

This way you are protected from losing data due to hardware failure of your main PC at any time in the last hour (or whatever you chose in File History). You are protected against ransomware since the last time you copied to disk 3, against theft/disaster since the last time you updated Disk 1 you store in the bank or elsewhere.

This is exactly what I do except I make system images rather more rarely than I should (I re-install a lot anyway so I don't care about that really). I do have an intermittent backup at a friends, a (intermittently) connected backup for file history and a non connected backup though.

Whatever you do don't leave all your drives plugged in at all times.

5. glennc Win User
    Hello lx07,
    Sorry for delay, but I am recovering from catastrophe. My own fault. Couldn't get Paragon to restore my vital data after losing it. No longer have paid support for my Paragon 12 and couldn't get a hold of anybody without a email support ticket, but disappointment rant off. Managed to get it back!
    So now the concept of backing up is more than ever important. I am pondering your ideas. Still shaky and still restoring my setup. What a pain. I had been using a system image and just do a restore. I don't really know how to use the mirror system safely and adequately, but that seems to be a good on board solution. Have to get a backup to external drive program that I feel more confident about...................
    Thanks

glennc, Feb 23, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, Feb 23, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    How much data do you have using Google drive or ms one drive is best for data between them you get 26gigs you simple have to the folder on your he and it's all backed up on its own you can get data anywhere in the world on any device. Store it local if you have a fire or are broken into it's all gone

Samuria, Feb 23, 2017
  8. glennc Win User

Data security and safety

Hello TairikuOkami,
    Thanks for the software and ideas. With the time it takes to transfer as little as 250 GB, the old USB 2 is painfully slow especially on system images and then doing a verification. I've copied the image to an internal drive and restored it with faster results. Then system imaged it back to the external. I don't cloud.
    How secure and safe are the new SSD drives in terms of long life and storage compared to a good hard drive? Two separate copies is going to be my minimum, for sure. Keeping just the real data and photos is an easier chore I would think and will give that a go.
    Best,

glennc, Feb 24, 2017
  9. glennc Win User
    Howdy Samuria,
    Thanks for your time and response. Could probably pare down the real necessary data, but I can't get into the idea of cloud storage. It just seems an extra opportunity for problems. Maybe my cup is half empty.
    Cheers

glennc, Feb 24, 2017
  10. I myself do not like SSD, I prefer 128GB/256GB USB or 1,8"/2,5" external HDD, no need for a power cable. SSD does not have any moving parts, it should last longer, even to be able to withstand some falling. SSD is way more expensive, so it comes down, if you plan to move it a lot and if you need a higher transfer speed.

Indeed, I lost data twice because of an automatic backup. When I set up Google drive, it removed files from my HDD and replaced them with cloud files only. Another time, there was a bug or something in the backup software and it removed original and backup files as well. Ever since I prefer to copy/paste, when needed.

TairikuOkami, Feb 24, 2017
  11. glennc Win User
    Thanks for your personal answers and experience.

glennc, Feb 24, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    I've found Macrium Reflect failed to auto backup a few times (maybe because I turned off the PC whilst backing up) and the next backup was not scheduled until the next scheduled backup. I now check the backup location to check backups are up to date and perform a manual backup if not.

Steve C, Feb 25, 2017
  13. glennc Win User

Data security and safety

Howdy SteveC,
    Honestly I've never used a normal none system image backup. Because of my hassles I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus drive. Trying to piece together what it is automatically trying to do with the included software. Started copying everything from everywhere immediately. Need to figure out the schedule thing. How automatic backups work if you don't have it plugged in all the time, or if the computer goes to sleep. Don't see an option for verification either after copying or automatically. Will see if the site has a tutorial.
    Good idea to check and thanks for responding.

glennc, Feb 25, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    There are some decent free backup programs out there. I use one called Uranium-Backup which you can use to set when you want the backups to occur. You can either do standard backups or differential. I currently have it set to automatically back up to my NAS drive once a week (my files don't change that often).

The NAS I use is the Western Digital My Cloud MIrror. Its not the most powerful but if all you want is to backup files then its fine. You can choose what raid mode to set it to. By default it uses redundancy raid hence the name Mirror. So you have more security.

In an ideal world, if your data is important to you, there is no substitute for remote backup, in other words come to an agreement with family or friends who you trust to store your drive with.

swarfega, Feb 25, 2017
  15. glennc Win User
    Good Day swarfega,
    In the search for a method to correctly store with resiliency data on my system with 3 equal hard drives, I created a mess. So once I get my system fully restored and system imaged, I want to do a NAS. Maybe wishful thinking. I have Paragon and I might try Macrium, but have a number of backup images in Paragon format. After looking around, it is quite probable that the Seagate Dashboard software will not be adequate for my need.
    A mirror is what I think I want to create with the internal drives for redundancy and have 2 external backups. But it won't give me the fault tolerance I was hoping for. A home cloud nas is the ultimate as I gather more electronic clutter. Now I must find a family member I trust *Wink ! Thanks for your time
    Cheers

glennc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Data security and safety

1. Data security and safety - Similar Threads - Data security safety

2. Family Security Safety

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Security Safety: So, I've been trying to resolve this matter with Microsoft support for two hours and they told me to come here, so here I am.Whenever I'm trying to open Netflix or even Disney+ I have this window opening telling me to ask an adult in my family. BUT I'm the only person in my...
  3. Family Security Safety

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family Security Safety: So, I've been trying to resolve this matter with Microsoft support for two hours and they told me to come here, so here I am.Whenever I'm trying to open Netflix or even Disney+ I have this window opening telling me to ask an adult in my family. BUT I'm the only person in my...
  4. Family Security Safety

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. Security - Safety Scanner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security - Safety Scanner: When I run my Safety Scanner, during the process. it states it has found several "files infected". However, when it is complete, it says it "and no viruses, spyware and other potentially unwanted software were detected." I am confused - if files were infected, shouldn't it...
  6. Safety and Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safety and Security: I appear to have a trojan horse virus on a laptop computer which is now disabled. I downloaded Microsoft Safety Scanner version 1 on a clean computer and transferred via a usb drive and ran a full scan which viruses etc had been found and removed, on closing the scanner the...
  7. Safety and Security

Safety and Security: I appear to have a trojan horse virus on a laptop computer which is now disabled. I downloaded Microsoft Safety Scanner version 1 on a clean computer and transferred via a usb drive and ran a full scan which viruses etc had been found and removed, on closing the scanner the...
  8. Safety and Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Safety and security

Safety and security: What happened to MRT? Is it still being used, created and updated? How do I access the download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/safety-and-security/012dbde1-ea89-466f-8dad-e6621d485844
  10. safety and security of ANVISOFT

safety and security of ANVISOFT: I had downloaded an application named ANVI FOLDER LOCKER (www.anvisoft.com/folder-locker.html ) to lock and hide my files and folders. But later I got to know that the creator of this application was a Chinese hacker. Now I'm worried about my personal data and files. Did...