Windows 10: Data Storage Drive Missing after Folder Creation on Windows 10

Discus and support Data Storage Drive Missing after Folder Creation on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Very recently, my second storage drive on my MSI laptop has disappeared. It was a "Data" drive which I used to store more content. Before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZacharyGaiski, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Data Storage Drive Missing after Folder Creation on Windows 10

Hi,

Very recently, my second storage drive on my MSI laptop has disappeared. It was a "Data" drive which I used to store more content.

Before it went missing, in that drive I created a Folder and created a shortcut to that folder, which I then dragged over to my Desktop to use.

A small amount of time later, like 10 minutes, I try to save a Word Document I had been writing, and my "Data" storage drive is now missing.

It still appears in my Quick Access List as D:\, but now has a question mark on top of its icon. I can't access it.

So far I've tried to rescan my disks in Disk Management, but it wasn't able to find it.

I also tried using the "Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter", but it also could not find my lost "Data" drive.

How can I restore this lost storage drive and regain access to its content?

:)

ZacharyGaiski, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation

Hello...this is confusing.

I installed Windows 10, upgrading from Windows 7. It went fine. Nothing of note in Windows.old.
    I wanted to utilise W10 Storage Pool RAID 5 Parity option for data security.
    I backed up the static data from my 3 x 1.5 TB disks onto a large internal drive.
    I checked the windows copy with both synctoy and freefilesync for completeness and zero errors\omissions. Twice. All was OK.

I built the RAID 5 - Parity set some 2.75Gb with the old 3 x 1.5TB drives. I transferred the data (c.1.8TB) back across, from the internal drive to populate the RAID 5 set (painfully slow). Again I checked for completeness with synctoy & freefilesync. No apparent errors.

PROBLEM

The folder M reports 913Gb of data in 1782 folders with 4171 files.
    This folder is identical on the original source backup internal drive and the Storage Pool.

However when I look at the individual subfolders within M I can only locate some 151 folders with 831 files totalling c.280Gb. All the other folders are empty. Or are reporting empty. Over 600Gb of data is reported, by size & file numbers at the top level but is not in the folders (apparently).

I have run chkdsk /f on the Storage Pool and the Internal Backup disk. No errors.
    I have run SFC /SCANNOW . Some Windows Resource Protection errors but no trace of missing files.

Is this that these files are hidden ? Has WIndows 10 altered all my file attributes ?
    Am I missing an obvious trick ?
    Did the folder structure copy across but omitted to copy the file content ?
    Why did synctoy & freefilesync not pick this up ?
    Why does the folder M report files/folders/size that is inconsistent with what I can locate ?

Confused. Looks like a Quantum RAID 5.
    The very act of its creation destroys the data it was set up to secure.

Any bright ideas welcome. Thanks for reading.

mydogmuppet, Sep 29, 2020
  4. NTM2003 Win User

Data Storage Drive Missing after Folder Creation on Windows 10

Upgrading my data drive HDD

I am not the one actually set it up for me I had geek squad do it for me because I didn't want to mess it up. but the folders that are listed in the data drive is
    program data
    steam
    users
    windows apps
    razar soft wear

NTM2003, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Data Storage Drive Missing after Folder Creation on Windows 10

1. Data Storage Drive Missing after Folder Creation on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Data Storage Drive

2. pressed the storage pool creation and my data hard drive lost it's partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pressed the storage pool creation and my data hard drive lost it's partition: hi i have windows 11 installed on my pc. recently i found that feature in windows to create hard drive pools and wanted to see if it also supported refs file system.i have 2 drive: one 1tb nvme win windows installed in it and one 1tb mechanical hard drive with all my...
  3. pressed the storage pool creation and my data hard drive lost it's partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pressed the storage pool creation and my data hard drive lost it's partition: hi i have windows 11 installed on my pc. recently i found that feature in windows to create hard drive pools and wanted to see if it also supported refs file system.i have 2 drive: one 1tb nvme win windows installed in it and one 1tb mechanical hard drive with all my...
  4. Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason: I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing. Currently running build 19042.985 Checked all of the storage space info, all 4 drives are still are still marked as OK, and it...
  5. Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason: I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing. Currently running build 19042.985 Checked all of the storage space info, all 4 drives are still are still marked as OK, and it...
  6. DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders: Get ready for a novel. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. For almost 2 weeks now, I have been reading articles and answers on several websites for the official/proper way to move some of my User Folders Desktop, Library Folders, & OneDrive itself to my 1TB DATA D:...
  7. How to recover External drive data disappeared during the Storage Pool creation process?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover External drive data disappeared during the Storage Pool creation process?: Hi all. How to recover External drive data disappeared during the Storage Pool creation process? Tried to use the "Storage Pool" in my Windows 10, by trying to add my WD external HD, but operation failed and I end-up with obscure, unrecognized external HD except by "Disk...
  8. Windows 10 - separate storage drives for software and data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - separate storage drives for software and data: I recently bought a PC with Windows Pro, built from an Intel NUC 8i7 with a fast 512GB NVME SSD and a 1TB HHD, intending to use the SSD for software and other high-access files, and the HDD for normal data. It came yesterday with everything set up on the NVMe SSD as the C:...
  9. Missing a drive and storage after fresh installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing a drive and storage after fresh installation: Hi, i recently had to install a fresh copy of windows 10 through a usb onto my device, and as i was Installing my old software i realised that i don't have a D drive anymore but just a C drive of 930 GB. Before i had a D drive of 930GB and a C drive of another 200GB, where...
  10. Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation: Hello...this is confusing. I installed Windows 10, upgrading from Windows 7. It went fine. Nothing of note in Windows.old. I wanted to utilise W10 Storage Pool RAID 5 Parity option for data security. I backed up the static data from my 3 x 1.5 TB disks onto a large...