Windows 10: Data Transfer From Corrupted Laptop

Discus and support Data Transfer From Corrupted Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am unable to boot into my HP laptop running Windows 10. I tried every option in the blue screens including Troubleshoot, Automatic Repair and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marneo21, Nov 11, 2019.

1. marneo21 Win User

Data Transfer From Corrupted Laptop

I am unable to boot into my HP laptop running Windows 10.

I tried every option in the blue screens including Troubleshoot, Automatic Repair and Recovery Manager all to no avail.

I then chose to Reset with 'Reinstall Windows without removing your personal files and change settings back to their defaults' but that failed also giving me a message saying 'There was a problem resetting your PC.'

The only blue screen option I have not yet tried is to 'Remove everything including all personal files, apps and settings'. The machine came with no external recovery medium and my data was not fully backed up and naturally I did not want to lose all my photos, text files, etc.

I tried to connect the laptop via an A to A 2.0 USB cable with an old desktop computer running Vista Home edition in order to copy the contents of the corrupted laptop drive over to the Vista drive to back everything up before removing everything including all my personal files and reinstalling Windows from the laptop partition.

I was unable though to see the laptop drive in desktop with Vista open and the computers connected via USB. Could this possibly be because the laptop's USB drivers are corrupted also?

In any case, it was suggested to me that the only way to back up the data from the laptop drive would be to remove the drive from the laptop and connect it directly to the desktop motherboard via SATA cable connection so that the Vista drive and the HP Windows 10 drive are now each connected to the same motherboard in the old desktop computer. This is something I have done successfully before to retrieve data from another hard drive in the past. Now, having done exactly this and indeed being able to now see the laptop drive identified as Drive E after clicking Computer with Vista booted up and open and creating a folder and pulling all the data into it, I now find that I am unable to view any of the 5.84 GB and over 39,000 files and 1,300 folders the master folder supposedly contains (according to Properties) so I can verify that I do in fact have all my photos, text files, etc before reinstalling the laptop hard drive into the laptop and then hopefully successfully implementing the final untried blue screen option of removing everything and reinstalling Windows from the laptop partition.

Why can I not view my files? What step am I missing please?

:)

marneo21, Nov 11, 2019

2. USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Data transfer

I have purchased a data transfer cable thinking I would be able to transfer (a lot) of photographs from my Windows 10 PC to my laptop. However I cannot do this and have searched the internet and even contacted microsoft customer service who were no help
    at all (suggesting that I did it with a memory stick) I know that the Data Transfer is no longer available. All suggestions seem to be to transfer data TO windows 10. Can anybody help please?

ValerieFillingham, Nov 11, 2019
  4. dan99t Win User

How do I transfer data from desktop to Laptop ?

Hi,

I am travelling & taking my desktop's 500 GB Hard Disk ( with data & OS ) with me. Once I reach my destination I will be buying a Laptop there & want to transfer the data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD.

Without an access to desktop there, how do I transfer data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD ?

Thanks

dan99t, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Data Transfer From Corrupted Laptop - Similar Threads - Data Transfer Corrupted

2. Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.: HiI've purchased a new laptop and followed instructions to set up and seems like I've logged into the wrong Microsoft accountI didn't know I had 2 accounts so now my files/data etc won't transfer from old to new laptop! As it's set up does that mean that I can no longer sync...
  3. Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.: HiI've purchased a new laptop and followed instructions to set up and seems like I've logged into the wrong Microsoft accountI didn't know I had 2 accounts so now my files/data etc won't transfer from old to new laptop! As it's set up does that mean that I can no longer sync...
  4. Data transfer from Android to PC corrupted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data transfer from Android to PC corrupted files: I connected my mobile phone Samsung S6 to my PC running Windows 11 with a USB cable. I then right clicked on the device and used the file import service. I chose to remove files from device after moving. The move completed successfully. However when I go to the files on the...
  5. Data transfer from Android to PC corrupted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data transfer from Android to PC corrupted files: I connected my mobile phone Samsung S6 to my PC running Windows 11 with a USB cable. I then right clicked on the device and used the file import service. I chose to remove files from device after moving. The move completed successfully. However when I go to the files on the...
  6. Need help transferring data from old laptop to new laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help transferring data from old laptop to new laptop: got a new laptop and i need some methods to tanager everything over submitted by /u/I-sense-Memes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hufzj0/need_help_transferring_data_from_old_laptop_to/
  7. Transfer all data from old to new laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer all data from old to new laptop?: Hello, everyone, I will get a new laptop soon and want to transfer all my data (files, photos, software...) from my old to my new notebook. It is Windows 10. I have seen several options on the internet, but I don't know which method to use. I hope you can help me. Thanks...
  8. Data transfer to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data transfer to new laptop: Hello, What is the best way to transfer data from an old HP Win 10 laptop to new HP Win 10 laptop? Old laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive ~450GB used, Win 10 Home 64 New laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive + 256GB M.2 SSD, Win 10 Home 64 Plus I assume the OS will be loaded on...
  9. transferring data from a seagate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    transferring data from a seagate: I just bought a Windows 10 tower. The other tower died. I have a Seagate portable drive that was plugged into the old tower. My question is: How do I access or transfer the data that is on the Seagate onto my new hard drive on the new tower without wiping out what is...
  10. Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop.: I would appreciate assistance with the above please. After many problems due to the cpu overheating, my HP Compaq Presario CQ56 finally packed up. Fortunately I had recently made a System Image (Windows 10) backup on an external hard drive. I am waiting delivery of a brand...