Windows 10: Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE?

Discus and support Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi:I'm not sure if I posted to the correct area, so I picked "Virus and Malware", as an assumption to the cause of my problem.I have a Dell Vostro with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by thomasdeane1, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE?

Hi:I'm not sure if I posted to the correct area, so I picked "Virus and Malware", as an assumption to the cause of my problem.I have a Dell Vostro with fully-updated Windows 10 and connect to the internet via 2 Verizon WiFi "pucks" with a 22GB limit for each. When limit is reached I switch pucks.About a month ago, the GB rate increased significantly, prematurely running out my pucks. Also via Outlook, my IMAP email account would not work, while my POP3 accounts work just fine all with AOL. The only way to access my IMAP email is via the AOL page.I've also noticed that once online FireFox

:)

thomasdeane1, Sep 10, 2021

2. Data Usage

I have experienced excessive data usage on a metered WiFi connection. The only thing that is using excessive amounts of data is 'System.' What falls under System? Verizon people say it is a problem with my computer?? Frustrated.

JanetFoley1234, Sep 10, 2021
  3. Unknown data usage

The Nokia Lumia Windows Phone has a very good considerable battery life. I wouldn't worry with having the Battery Saver featured enabled much because honestly you won't need it unless in case of emergencies. The data usage is very much so defined by your
    wireless carrier more than Windows Phone. You may need to contact them directly to ask why your data usage is increasing if you are not changing from your regular routines and the usage was not the same in usage.

This can also be defined by observing the things you do with Windows Phone. Your service area also defines when and where your data is used by the phone automatically because in a sense it tells the phone the only way it can function at certain times is
    via the data connection (hence increasing the data usage on your wireless plan). You can always disable the data features on Windows Phone. This is mainly what I suggest you do until you contact the carrier directly and alert them of what is going on. You
    should also consider using an unlimited data plan, or a data plan that only allows for WiFi usage. The very last step is how to completely disable the data features, but you can also try these steps as well to improve your data usage overall, follow
    these steps and then call your carrier to inquire about the data options you have:

If you don't have an unlimited data plan, you may be looking for ways to shave a little bit off of your data usage. This topic provides a few ways to turn down or turn off some of the features that require a data connection on your phone.
    Turn on Battery Saver
    Battery Saver turns off some, but not all, of the features that require a data connection. You can turn it on whenever you want, or set it to turn on automatically when your battery is low. To learn more, see Battery:
    making it last

• On Start, flick left to the App list, and then tap Settings
      Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE? start-icon-settings.png
      > Battery
      saver.

• Do one or both of the following:
      • If you want Battery Saver to turn on whenever the battery gets to 20%, select Always turn on Battery Saver when battery is low.
      • If you want to turn on Battery Saver now and leave it on until the next time you plug in your phone, select Turn on Battery Saver now until next charge.

Change email sync settings
    You can choose how often your phone automatically syncs email, or you can sync it manually, just when you want to.

• On Start, flick left to the App list, and then tap the email account whose settings you want to change.

• Tap More
      Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE? basic-icon-ellipses.png
      > Settings, and then tap Sync
      settings.

• Tap the Download new content list, then tap a time. If you don't want your phone to ever sync email from this account automatically, tap Manually.

Turn on airplane mode
    If you're looking to turn off your cellular connection just for a while, an easy way is to turn on airplane mode.

Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE? start-icon-settings.png
      > Airplane
      mode.

• Turn Status to On.

Stop sending usage feedback with a data connection
    Your phone can send feedback to help improve Windows Phones, but you can choose not to send this feedback using a cellular data connection.

> Feedback.

• Clear the Use my cellular data connection to send feedback check box.

Turn off your cellular data connection
    The most thorough way to make sure you're not using data is to turn off your data connection altogether.

> Cellular.

• Turn Data connection to Off.

Jody.Brown, Sep 10, 2021
  4. Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE?

Cloud Data usage on wifi

Hi CameronWyman,

This could be for a number of reasons:

1. Do you have OneDrive? If you do, it could be backing up some of your data?

2. Windows 10 does updates routinely and weekly, it downloads files

3. Other programs / apps could be doing updates...

What I suggest is setting this as a metered connection by following the steps below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/402845...

By setting up a metered connection you will be adjusting the way Windows 10 communicates with the wifi hotspot and ultimately use less data and control data usage.

c12f15dc-7bff-4426-b6c1-6cd384eeb051, Sep 10, 2021
Thema:

Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE?

1. Data usage way up, with IMAP email/Verizon WiFi problems - COINCIDENCE? - Similar Threads - Data usage IMAP

2. Problem with my internet data usage not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with my internet data usage not showing up: So recently i was wanting to check my wifi data usage but nothing shows. I cant get access to my wifi data usage it doesnt even show here is a picture of how it looks, also when i right click on the internet access on the bottom left and go to the network settings a cmd...
  3. Problem with my internet data usage not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with my internet data usage not showing up: So recently i was wanting to check my wifi data usage but nothing shows. I cant get access to my wifi data usage it doesnt even show here is a picture of how it looks, also when i right click on the internet access on the bottom left and go to the network settings a cmd...
  4. Is there a way to track data usage for websites?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to track data usage for websites?: I'm trying to monitor the amount of data I use per website I frequently use. submitted by /u/namesdemi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l4tu6w/is_there_a_way_to_track_data_usage_for_websites/
  5. Wifi data usage does not add up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi data usage does not add up.: So windows is telling me that I have used 210 gb of wifi over the last 14 days, yet when I tally up the usage by app it ends up being around 150 gb, so what happened to the 60 gb that has gone missing?...
  6. Cloud Data usage on wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloud Data usage on wifi: When I look at my useage details on my wifi, in windows 10 it show 20gb cloud. Really ? I dont use any services other then connectioon to that internet for web stuff, and game play. Problem is everytime i use my phone teather, the 3gb data i have gets ate up real, fast, just...
  7. New imap email

in Windows 10 Customization
    New imap email: Hi I am running a second email and following a message to say the email has been set up I then get a message to say my details are out of date. I then try to reset the password and it still keeps coming up with Action Required. Can you help....
  8. Problems with IMAP email syc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with IMAP email syc: Sync message: We couldn't access you account: AOL/***. You might need to update your password or update the account permission to sync. This happens after I sync and start reading my mail from this account. All settings for these accounts are correct. Now, when setting up...
  9. Problem with moving Emails between IMAP to Outlook.com

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with moving Emails between IMAP to Outlook.com: Within my email client I have a hotmail.com account setup as a POP3 account. I was informed if I wanted to move emails from one IMAP account to another IMAP which is simply moving emails from one folder to another folder within my email client; folder being an email account...
  10. Problems with Verizon email account

in Browsers and Email
    Problems with Verizon email account: I started to have a problem with my Verizon email account after I upgrade to windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop. All my folders disappeared, sent, deleted, all the ones I made. The email page shown on the screen shows a blank area where the folders had been. The email display...