Windows 10: Date created changes when I move a jpg file in File Explorer for W10

Discus and support Date created changes when I move a jpg file in File Explorer for W10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I noticed something disconcerting: sometimes, when I move a jpg file to another folder, the date created timestamp is changed to the time I do this.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by antonio3535, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Date created changes when I move a jpg file in File Explorer for W10

I noticed something disconcerting: sometimes, when I move a jpg file to another folder, the date created timestamp is changed to the time I do this. Sometimes it doesn't (the timestamps don't change). The day I did the move was 12/10/2019.

See my video showing this (last move), minute 00:30, sorry the resolution isn't great.
    https://i.imgur.com/tUXqB2O.mp4

:)

antonio3535, Oct 12, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 12, 2019
  3. file explorer shows created date not updated date.

Today, I went to Microsoft file explorer and sorted a list of files by date.

Imagine my horror when I saw that they were all old files.

In fact, the problem is that the date displayed is created date, and not updated date.

This is the first time that I have observed this - it has worked OK in the past.

GrahamDLovell, Oct 12, 2019
  4. pintree3 Win User

Date created changes when I move a jpg file in File Explorer for W10

How2 CHange dates of a file--suggested software not good enough

I used SKTimeStamp to change the dates of a file. However, I noticed it could only change 3 dates:
    Date Created
    Last Modified
    Last Accessed
    A search for such a utility often suggests "BulkFileChanger (BFC)" which seems to do the exact same thing: only these 3 dates.
    However, if I right click on a file, for example a Word file, there 2 other dates listed:
    Content Created
    Date last Saved

Hence the above two utilities are not good enough. Is there a utility (or way) out there to change all dates including the last 2 mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

pintree3, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

Date created changes when I move a jpg file in File Explorer for W10

1. Date created changes when I move a jpg file in File Explorer for W10 - Similar Threads - Date created changes

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  5. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  6. The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.: The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them. I'm using Windows 11 and I need to sort my files in that folder by date created....
  7. The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.

The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.: The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them. I'm using Windows 11 and I need to sort my files in that folder by date created....
  8. JPG Files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    JPG Files in File Explorer: How can I change how Windows 10 opens a JPG file from File Explorer? I was using Paint Shop Pro X3 but it is an old version and not working anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-files-in-file-explorer/65effe9c-6639-489d-ab52-ab34c62aa031
  9. File Explorer Create date attribute

File Explorer Create date attribute: When I change a file create date to any date before 1980, File Explorer does not show the date attribute and sorting by date does not work. I am using Bulk File Changer or Attribute Changer to change the attribute. I believe this is a bug....
  10. Date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.

Date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.: The date created on my files keeps changing when I modify them. It started after I ran a chkdsk and installed some new antivirus software. Can someone help me understand what's going on here? Really need this to get fixed. Thanks!...