Windows 10: Date modified changed for thousands of files

Discus and support Date modified changed for thousands of files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, On my Windows 10 laptop with a Samsung SSD I have experienced some weird behavior tonight: I have roughly 11.000 files with date modified "today"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by C_JA, Oct 11, 2019.

1. C_JA Win User

Date modified changed for thousands of files

Hi,

On my Windows 10 laptop with a Samsung SSD I have experienced some weird behavior tonight:

I have roughly 11.000 files with date modified "today" since I started the laptop in the afternoon. Many of these files are in tmp folders e.g. AppData/Local/Temp or in folders that sound like Microsoft e.g. Office or WindowsApps.

However, around 4.000 files with date modified 'today' are in my documents folder. As far as I can see they are randomly spread across folders and the only thing they have in common is that they are of small size (< 5KB).

What might be interesting for finding a cause:
    a) Since a couple of days I am running out of disk space and Windows has started compressing folders. But there are compressed files with a correct modificationd ate, too.
    b) My laptop crashed due to low power after I started it today.

Any clue what is going on with my laptop?! Thank you very much!

:)

2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Illogical date modified updating

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the modified date is just as important as the created date within the metadata of a given file. We will look into this for you.
    However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system?
    2. Was there any major change or an update on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Is the issue only with the pictures taken from the camera or the other pictures and files within the system as well?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Method 1: Enable the Date Modified Column in the File Explorer.

To enable the Date modified column within the particular folder, please follow the steps below.

1. Open the Folder in which you wish to see the Date modified column.
    2. Right-click on the
      Header for Name, date, type etc. This will give you a list of columns that can be displayed.
    3. Select the option Date modified, clearing the tick removes that column.
    4. Modify a file and check if it is being reflected in the Date modified column.

If the issue still persists, where you aren’t able to see the value in the Date modified column even after making the changes to the particular file, please follow ‘Method 2’.

Method 2: Create a new user account.

This issue could be due to profile corruption. Hence to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account
    ’ and check if the issue persists.

Note:
    You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 11, 2019
  4. pintree3 Win User

How2 CHange dates of a file--suggested software not good enough

I used SKTimeStamp to change the dates of a file. However, I noticed it could only change 3 dates:
    Date Created
    Last Modified
    Last Accessed
    A search for such a utility often suggests "BulkFileChanger (BFC)" which seems to do the exact same thing: only these 3 dates.
    However, if I right click on a file, for example a Word file, there 2 other dates listed:
    Content Created
    Date last Saved

Hence the above two utilities are not good enough. Is there a utility (or way) out there to change all dates including the last 2 mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

pintree3, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Date modified changed for thousands of files - Similar Threads - Date modified changed

2. File's 'date modified' is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File's 'date modified' is missing: I have a file that isn't showing the date modified on file explorer. When checking it's properties, the modified date only shows: 12:00:00 AM, no date. It has a creation date, and doesn't have previous versions to restore.How can I fix this to show the correct modified date?...
  3. File's 'date modified' is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File's 'date modified' is missing: I have a file that isn't showing the date modified on file explorer. When checking it's properties, the modified date only shows: 12:00:00 AM, no date. It has a creation date, and doesn't have previous versions to restore.How can I fix this to show the correct modified date?...
  4. Date Modified of all files in Downloads Folder changed to be the same date and time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Date Modified of all files in Downloads Folder changed to be the same date and time: I've just noticed that in my Users/'Me'/Favorites/Downloads folder that every file apart desktop.ini has had its Date Modified changed to 28/09/2021 at 11:38.I very rarely even access this folder, it seems to be MS Edge temporary storage used when I download from a website.I...
  5. Date Modified of all files in Downloads Folder changed to be the same date and time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Date Modified of all files in Downloads Folder changed to be the same date and time: I've just noticed that in my Users/'Me'/Favorites/Downloads folder that every file apart desktop.ini has had its Date Modified changed to 28/09/2021 at 11:38.I very rarely even access this folder, it seems to be MS Edge temporary storage used when I download from a website.I...
  6. Change multiple Date Modified entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Change multiple Date Modified entries: Is it possible to achieve the following by either command prompt, PowerShell, batch file, VBS script or any other tool please? I have folders containing subfolders, and in each subfolder there is a single file with extension '.ino', with the same filename as the subfolder....
  7. OneDrive changing 'date modified' when file just opened not modified

OneDrive changing 'date modified' when file just opened not modified: How do I stop OneDrive from changing the 'date modified" to todays date when I just open but don't modify a file or when I move a file or folder to another folder....
  8. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  9. Date Modified in File Explorer

Date Modified in File Explorer: Hi, Recently I discovered that some of the files in a folder have missing date modified information in the date modified column. Please see the below screenshots describing the exact problem. [ATTACH] When I select 'Properties' of a file that does not have date...
  10. Launching exe file change its modified date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Launching exe file change its modified date: I have upgraded to Win 10 and getting used to it little by little. There is something new which I find quite annoying. Whenever I launch an exe file, the modified date is changed to the present date/time. Is there a way to disable that like in all previous versions of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Weird date modified values on files and folders